Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 262756 times)

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4870 on: November 12, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »
Thanks!  Although you'll have to forgive this old man for being amused by the congrats for making law review 2.5 years ago :D.

Hey that's one thing that never seems to get old though in our profession oddly enough.  I've been in practice for over a year and recruiters still call me talking about "I see you made law review. Congrats."   :D

How do they know? Firm profile? Do they dig for this info? Somehow have your resume? (forgive my curiosity)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #4871 on: November 12, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
Thanks!  Although you'll have to forgive this old man for being amused by the congrats for making law review 2.5 years ago :D.

Hey that's one thing that never seems to get old though in our profession oddly enough.  I've been in practice for over a year and recruiters still call me talking about "I see you made law review. Congrats."   :D

How do they know? Firm profile? Do they dig for this info? Somehow have your resume? (forgive my curiosity)

"They know because it is their purpose to know..."
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #4872 on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:17 PM »
Creepy.

EDIT: That response does not directly answer my question.  Are you confirming my data mining suggestion?  Lately I'm feeling the need to limit access to my info. and it seems an impossible feat, especially when it's hard to tell where entities are getting their info from.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: November 12, 2008, 07:19:35 PM »
LOL don't give legal recruiters that much credit.  They just read the associates' law firm profiles and see who they'd like to bug for the day.  That's about as complex as they get.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:47 PM »
Creepy.
Lately I'm feeling the need to limit access to my info. and it seems an impossible feat

It is.  An even greater incentive to lead a clean and upstanding life ;).  A couple of my friends recently discovered that some random website had culled information about them from the internet and made it into a profile (their common denominator was a scholarship).  They then had to "claim" the profile in order to get rid of the info.  Scary...

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #4875 on: November 12, 2008, 10:12:55 PM »
Creepy.
Lately I'm feeling the need to limit access to my info. and it seems an impossible feat

An even greater incentive to lead a clean and upstanding life ;). 

Without a doubt  ;). However, computers and the internet render information easily manipulable (like in your friends' case) which can have a diminishing effect on those efforts (yes, being clean and upstanding takes a substantial effort for some of us people). 

I've had headhunters contact me at work over the past year to fill positions in my former field (which I left two years ago).  A few times I've directly asked the question of how they found me, but have never received a straight answer (which is why I posed that question to Burning Sands). I have to wonder how much of it is my carelessness on the internet versus their zealous digging for information. I'm no superstar like you and Sands, but I find the even minimal direct contact rather invasive.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: November 12, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »
Creepy.

An even greater incentive to lead a clean and upstanding life ;). 

Without a doubt  ;). However, computers and the internet render information easily manipulable (like in your friends' case) which can have a diminishing effect on those efforts (yes, being clean and upstanding takes a substantial effort for some of us people). 

I've had headhunters contact me at work over the past year to fill positions in my former field (which I left two years ago).  A few times I've directly asked the question of how they found me, but have never received a straight answer (which is why I posed that question to Burning Sands). I have to wonder how much of it is my carelessness on the internet versus their zealous digging for information. I'm no superstar like you and Sands, but I find the even minimal direct contact rather invasive.

I can't speak for your old profession, but as far as the legal profession is concerned it's one of the most public-info professions out there. As soon as you pass the bar, your info is made public on multiple databases.  You can look up anybody who has passed the bar on the respective state website, not to mention findlaw.com. 

So caveat emptore for those who don't like to be in the public light....don't become a lawyer if you're not comfortable with that idea.

Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: November 12, 2008, 10:38:31 PM »
As soon as you pass the bar, your info is made public on multiple databases.

I was kinda surprised at this when I got my bar info last month.  The only privacy option was to hide your e-mail address.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: November 13, 2008, 12:27:37 AM »
As soon as you pass the bar, your info is made public on multiple databases.

I was kinda surprised at this when I got my bar info last month.  The only privacy option was to hide your e-mail address.

Right.  Some option right? 

It's like "welcome to the bar...consider yourself PWNED by the state from here on out."

Charles H. Houston

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #4879 on: November 28, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »
What kind of ROI has anyone here seen from serving in a "senior" editor board position on his/her journal during 3L?  For example, did it help with clerkship opps,  enhance managerial skills, or help with getting and inside viewpoint on how to get published (for those wanting to go into academia)?  What was the time commitment like and did you find the experience to be worth the commitment? 

tyia

EDIT: for proper term