Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 270194 times)

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4850 on: October 30, 2008, 11:18:04 PM »
We already did adverse possession, there were a bunch of jokes going around with that one. Actually, I had a real life K's moment a couple of weeks ago. I had to get a new battery for my car. When they finished, right before I paid they gave me the invoice. Since now I read everything before I sign it (thanks law school!) imagine my surprise when I saw in conspicuous print: "The seller hereby expressly disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including any implied warranty of merchantibility or fitness for a particular purpose...and neither assumes nor authorizes...any liability in connection with the sale."

Ah, those sly devils at the mechanics shop. Little did they know, we had just finished 2-207, so I was all over that joint. I was actually surprised at how quick I formulated everything, I IRAC'd that *&^% in about 4 seconds. This is a sale of goods, the UCC applies, and we didn't say nan word about excluding warranties when we formed the K.  This is a proposal for additional terms, and it's not included in the K because this isn't a transaction between merchants. Even if you want to argue that it was a sale of services because they installed the battery, based on the preponderance test, the sale of goods outweighs the services provided because had I not purchased the battery, they wouldn't have had any services to perform in the first place. Therefore, this is sale of goods and I'm not bound to the added terms. I asked the clerk for a pen, calmly struck through all the language that I didn't agree to, initialized it, swiped my debit card, signed the invoice, and exited stage left. The clerk was standing there looking like  :o

This law *&^% is pretty handy. This place was definitely set up by lawyers. I already see that a bar card can be a very powerful tool in this country.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: October 30, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »
LOL.  Niiice. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: October 31, 2008, 06:21:59 AM »
Lol people are rarely bound by the boilerplate.  I just sign and know that I'll sue later if it doesn't work out.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: November 03, 2008, 06:53:50 PM »
lol

well I'll tell you what you will hear all too often from 2Ls and 3Ls and grads:  You know more than you think you do.   :)  :-*

I guess you were right, I did very well on my open memo.

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4854 on: November 03, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »
lol

well I'll tell you what you will hear all too often from 2Ls and 3Ls and grads:  You know more than you think you do.   :)  :-*

Congrats!!! Only 600 more to go..j/k

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: November 04, 2008, 02:46:36 AM »
lol

I'm always right  ;)  LOL.  Seriously though, good job!

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: November 07, 2008, 03:33:39 PM »
We already did adverse possession, there were a bunch of jokes going around with that one. Actually, I had a real life K's moment a couple of weeks ago. I had to get a new battery for my car. When they finished, right before I paid they gave me the invoice. Since now I read everything before I sign it (thanks law school!) imagine my surprise when I saw in conspicuous print: "The seller hereby expressly disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including any implied warranty of merchantibility or fitness for a particular purpose...and neither assumes nor authorizes...any liability in connection with the sale."

Ah, those sly devils at the mechanics shop. Little did they know, we had just finished 2-207, so I was all over that joint. I was actually surprised at how quick I formulated everything, I IRAC'd that *&^% in about 4 seconds. This is a sale of goods, the UCC applies, and we didn't say nan word about excluding warranties when we formed the K.  This is a proposal for additional terms, and it's not included in the K because this isn't a transaction between merchants. Even if you want to argue that it was a sale of services because they installed the battery, based on the preponderance test, the sale of goods outweighs the services provided because had I not purchased the battery, they wouldn't have had any services to perform in the first place. Therefore, this is sale of goods and I'm not bound to the added terms. I asked the clerk for a pen, calmly struck through all the language that I didn't agree to, initialized it, swiped my debit card, signed the invoice, and exited stage left. The clerk was standing there looking like  :o

This law *&^% is pretty handy. This place was definitely set up by lawyers. I already see that a bar card can be a very powerful tool in this country.

Ahhh...the force is strong with this one.

You'll never be the same again.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: November 07, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »

Ahhh...the force is strong with this one.

You'll never be the same again.

:D 8)

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: November 08, 2008, 06:08:43 PM »
You know your in law school when you edit your text messages for grammatical errors.  That is all (lol).

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: November 09, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
You know you're in law school when you edit your text messages for grammatical errors.  That is all (lol).
fixt ;)
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?