Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 269695 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4790 on: January 29, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »
Wanna give me some advice on torts?  :P
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: January 29, 2008, 01:37:57 PM »
Wanna give me some advice on torts?  :P

girl, u heard me complaining about torts... :-\

i will say that the kenneth abraham book--forms and functions of tort law--was pretty helpful (and probably would have been more helpful if i had a more competent prof).
Columbia 3L

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: January 29, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »
i used gilberts for torts. never went to class. didn't read the book. just read Gilberts. got an A- & you can imagine the ultra Harvard gunners I beat out in my section.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: January 29, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
i used gilberts for torts. never went to class. didn't read the book. just read Gilberts. got an A- & you can imagine the ultra Harvard gunners I beat out in my section.

i wish i would have known this last semester  :-\
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: January 29, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »

I don't think we have a gilberts keyed to my textbook, or does that really matter?  Right now I have the E&E and crunchtime (though I haven't opened either)!

What would you recommend for con law?  I have the chemerinsky, but that's a major book.  I dunno if i'll get through all of it!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: January 29, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »

I don't think we have a gilberts keyed to my textbook, or does that really matter?  Right now I have the E&E and crunchtime (though I haven't opened either)!

I don't think it should matter in the end. Torts is torts. someone could correct me though.

What would you recommend for con law?  I have the chemerinsky, but that's a major book.  I dunno if i'll get through all of it!

I never took con law.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: January 29, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »

the keying won't change the law but it makes it convenient because you don't have to flip through the TOC to find what you need....and keying to the book makes sure you don't study anything that ur teacher doesn't focus on
...man, you was who you was before you got here

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: January 29, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »

the keying won't change the law but it makes it convenient because you don't have to flip through the TOC to find what you need....and keying to the book makes sure you don't study anything that ur teacher doesn't focus on

Yeah, both the gilberts/emmanuels i used last semester were keyed, so it was waaaay more convenient.

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: February 16, 2008, 11:06:07 AM »
Wonder what this means for lower-tier schools:

ABA Approves Bar Pass Standards for Accreditation

Posted Feb 11, 2008, 06:07 pm CST

The ABA’s policy-making House of Delegates has concurred in a revision to the Standards for Approval of Law Schools relating to bar passage rates, making numerical pass rates a factor in accreditation of law schools by the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar.

The measure (DOC), 113, passed by a voice vote.

The change is being made because the U.S. Department of Education—which since 1952 has designated the Legal Education Section as the accreditation body for law schools—requires a numerical standard, Jose Garcia-Pedrosa told the House.

Garcia-Pedrosa is Chief Operating Officer for the National Parkinson Foundation in Miami.

Without passage, the DOE won’t renew the ABA’s role as the accrediting agency later this year, he said.

The proposal says a law school’s bar passage rate will meet the ABA accreditation standard on the subject if it meets any of the following tests:

In the last five years, 75 percent of the school’s grads who sat for the bar passed an exam, or, in at least three of those years, 75 percent of the grads graduating in those years who sat for the bar passed an exam.

The school’s annual first-time bar passage rate in jurisdictions most popular with its grads is no more than 15 points below the average first-time bar passage rates for grads of ABA-approved law schools.

Victor M. Marquez, president of the Hispanic National Bar Association and a founder of the Marquez Law Group of San Francisco, said the change will disadvantage Hispanic and African-American law students. He suggested the ABA should ask for an extension of time from the DOE, rather than pass the proposed standard.

A representative of the largely African-American National Bar Association also opposed the measure, as did the Philadelphia Bar Association. More than five former ABA presidents—including the only two minorities who have held that post—favored the measure, as did the Law Student Division.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/aba_approves_bar_pass_standards/

schooler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: February 22, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »
Howard's going to have a problem...
NYU Class of 2011