Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 262748 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4770 on: December 19, 2007, 12:56:04 PM »
;D One more semester down!!

Congrats!  I still have one more on Friday.  Which brings me to a question.  I have to read all of chapter 12 (takings), about 140 pages.  Is it worth it to actually read the chapter or would emmanuels/e&e/old outlines be enough?

it's wednesday. read the e&e and study your outline. you want to spend the majority of this time working old exams and cramming the black letter law into your brain.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't do old exams, since the only ones available are from 10 years ago and are essays, while my exam will be all short answer questions.   :-\
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #4771 on: December 19, 2007, 03:01:11 PM »

Congrats!  I still have one more on Friday.  Which brings me to a question.  I have to read all of chapter 12 (takings), about 140 pages.  Is it worth it to actually read the chapter or would emmanuels/e&e/old outlines be enough?

girl you better hit that E&E and call it a day!  shooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oot!  :D

- ditto advice on the practice exams!  Review those thoroughly between now and Friday.  Remember - law school is all about getting the maximum output with the smallest amount of input possible.  Those 140 pages are a waste of your time.  Review only what you have to for exam taking purposes.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: December 19, 2007, 03:22:57 PM »
Was the chapter heavily covered in class?  If not, then  your outline and any commercial outline should do the trick.  Chances are, if the professor spent a day or less on the chapter, there will be very few questions about it on the exam.

Unfortunately, we spent over a week on it and it's one of his fav areas, so it looks like it'll be featured heavily on the exam.  :-\
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: December 19, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »
Was the chapter heavily covered in class?  If not, then  your outline and any commercial outline should do the trick.  Chances are, if the professor spent a day or less on the chapter, there will be very few questions about it on the exam.

Unfortunately, we spent over a week on it and it's one of his fav areas, so it looks like it'll be featured heavily on the exam.  :-\

Don't go back and read the chapter!  Just a waste of time,. A lot of 1Ls seems to do that. So no, don't do it.  Not worth it.  You do not have time to go back and read the chapter and THEN master the material gleaned from the chapter.  You wanna move forward rather than backward.

Your E & E (I'm partial to E&Es rather than Emmanuels but I mean either one of the 2) and your old outline will be more than enough for what you will have to do. 

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: January 02, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »
For those of you who are students, who actually cook, and/or are feeling the high cost of groceries, you might want to check out this website.

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

This is a program that provides food at a discount on a monthly basis.  Place orders with them at the beginning of the month and you pick them up at the end of the month.     
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: January 03, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »

girl you better hit that E&E and call it a day!  shooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oot!  :D

- ditto advice on the practice exams!  Review those thoroughly between now and Friday.  Remember - law school is all about getting the maximum output with the smallest amount of input possible.  Those 140 pages are a waste of your time.  Review only what you have to for exam taking purposes.

by the way sands i took all or your advice, quit briefing, take practice exams etc. (didn't take as many as you suggested but still did them) and it worked out well thanks!... as for my .02 cents i definitely suggest getting to applying (i.e. getting the point of the case and applying to different fact patterns) early..so many of my classmates were still memorizing fact patterns well into October and they were super stressed at finals time....legal analysis is a little like intel analysis so i had a short learning curve but i definitely was more productive and big pictured oriented than most of my section mates early...i don't have all of my grades yet so maybe this will all be moot...but im definitely going to spend much less time reading next semester now that i know that 75% of the case is irrelevant and i don't really need to know it. also i didn't do the outlining as i go thing because i didn't feel comfortable outlining in bits and pieces and, if you're like me, i actually learned the material when i outlined it (like once i was done typing the material i knew it), im wary of study aids because a lot of it was stuff my prof didn't go over and a lot more complicated then the profs explanation....although i totally learned RAP from emmanuels which made it much more simple (i.e. if the person is not alive when the devisement is made, its prolly not going to make it. that is all) but i swear by examples and explanation and crunchtime for civ pro and just crunchtime for property, also if you get emmanuels outlines VERY IMPORTANT make sure its keyed to your book author and YEAR (if i knew what i know now, i would have been reading emmanuels all along instead of the case book) i still suggest reading cases (especially if your prof is big on policy) but just read through once and then hit the outlines because it will have the main points of the case...mmm what else...i did my 9-5ishm i went to class then after class i hit the library M-Th and always left no later than 8pm...some people have the "i can't study in the library shpeel" but those same people were up until 1-2 in the morning reading...i watched tv every night and was in bed by 11, went out every friday night more or less, and used saturday and sunday to get ahead on the week...if i felt like it...think that's it 
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #4776 on: January 03, 2008, 03:35:35 PM »

by the way sands i took all or your advice, quit briefing, take practice exams etc. (didn't take as many as you suggested but still did them) and it worked out well thanks!... as for my .02 cents i definitely suggest getting to applying (i.e. getting the point of the case and applying to different fact patterns) early..so many of my classmates were still memorizing fact patterns well into October and they were super stressed at finals time....legal analysis is a little like intel analysis so i had a short learning curve but i definitely was more productive and big pictured oriented than most of my section mates early...i don't have all of my grades yet so maybe this will all be moot...but im definitely going to spend much less time reading next semester now that i know that 75% of the case is irrelevant and i don't really need to know it. also i didn't do the outlining as i go thing because i didn't feel comfortable outlining in bits and pieces and, if you're like me, i actually learned the material when i outlined it (like once i was done typing the material i knew it), im wary of study aids because a lot of it was stuff my prof didn't go over and a lot more complicated then the profs explanation....although i totally learned RAP from emmanuels which made it much more simple (i.e. if the person is not alive when the devisement is made, its prolly not going to make it. that is all) but i swear by examples and explanation and crunchtime for civ pro and just crunchtime for property, also if you get emmanuels outlines VERY IMPORTANT make sure its keyed to your book author and YEAR (if i knew what i know now, i would have been reading emmanuels all along instead of the case book) i still suggest reading cases (especially if your prof is big on policy) but just read through once and then hit the outlines because it will have the main points of the case...mmm what else...i did my 9-5ishm i went to class then after class i hit the library M-Th and always left no later than 8pm...some people have the "i can't study in the library shpeel" but those same people were up until 1-2 in the morning reading...i watched tv every night and was in bed by 11, went out every friday night more or less, and used saturday and sunday to get ahead on the week...if i felt like it...think that's it 

Well I'm thankful for both our sakes that it worked out well for you.  (Coulda been on here talkin about "Sands you bastard, that *&^% didn't work damnit!")  :D 

Sounds like you're on your way to a very respectable GPA.  Even if you end up not getting an A in every snigle class this semester, you have now at least successfully lived through a round of law school exams so that on your next go round you will have it in the bag no problem.  Law School is not rocket science.  People can def make it harder for themselves than it has to be by focussing their time and energy on things that will no bearing on their final grade.

I don't advise this yet, but next year when you are an experienced vet in the law school game you will learn the worst thing a law student can ever learn about legal education in this country - that is, the fact that you can show up to a final having never gone to class with nothing more than a few days' worth of knowledge from reviewing an outline that somebody else prepared...and you'll still get a good grade on the exam.  After that, its curtains on ever studying again until the bar exam.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: January 03, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

Well I'm thankful for both our sakes that it worked out well for you.  (Coulda been on here talkin about "Sands you bastard, that poo didn't work damnit!")  :D 

Sounds like you're on your way to a very respectable GPA.  Even if you end up not getting an A in every snigle class this semester, you have now at least successfully lived through a round of law school exams so that on your next go round you will have it in the bag no problem.  Law School is not rocket science.  People can def make it harder for themselves than it has to be by focussing their time and energy on things that will no bearing on their final grade.

I don't advise this yet, but next year when you are an experienced vet in the law school game you will learn the worst thing a law student can ever learn about legal education in this country - that is, the fact that you can show up to a final having never gone to class with nothing more than a few days' worth of knowledge from reviewing an outline that somebody else prepared...and you'll still get a good grade on the exam.  After that, its curtains on ever studying again until the bar exam.

ish....i can't wait for that
...man, you was who you was before you got here

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:32 AM »

Well I'm thankful for both our sakes that it worked out well for you.  (Coulda been on here talkin about "Sands you bastard, that poo didn't work damnit!")  :D 

ish....i can't wait for that

Me too!

My approach was pretty similar, except that I never briefed and I wasn't able to do much with the practice exams.  One class didn't have practice exams available (bastard) and the other had completely different exams available (regular essay exams, when our exam was all short anwer).  I did practice exams for the third class, but next semester I'll definitely start working on them earlier.  In the end, I didn't use my commercial outlines that much.  I definitely found old outlines by other students more helpful, since my profs also didn't always approach the subject the same way that the commercial outlines did.  I definitely swear by crunchtimes and E&E, especially crunctime for contracts (I took that into the exam with me!) and E&E for civ pro.  I didn't create my own outlines, since I had a bunch of great outlines from people who had taken my classes with the same professors.  Instead, I had a study group of two other people that I met with and we reviewed the subjects together from beginning to end.  Explaining various topics really helped me to realise how much of the material I knew.

Next semester, the only major change I'll make is to start doing practice exams and doing the E&E earlier.  I might think about doing my own outline, but if I get great outlines again then I probably won't bother.

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: January 27, 2008, 08:47:29 PM »