Law School Discussion

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
17 (8.7%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
5 (2.6%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
23 (11.7%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
12 (6.1%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
13 (6.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
14 (7.1%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
25 (12.8%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
14 (7.1%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
18 (9.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
27 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 148

1L's & Current Black Law Students

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1L's & Current Black Law Students
« Reply #4460 on: April 03, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »
Evidence during the summer....not sure how I feel about that...?

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: April 03, 2007, 02:13:20 PM »
We aren't allowed to take any required courses (Evidence, Con Law, Business Associations) during the summer.  Rule of thumb is if it is on the bar, you can't take it during the summer!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: April 03, 2007, 02:16:24 PM »
Good rule.

Evidence is something you need to know well, so I'm not sure about a summer version.  Something's bound to get left out.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: April 06, 2007, 12:25:53 PM »
Hmm, okay.  Thanks  :) All they offer are the required courses.  I'm not allowed to take anything "fun" yet.    intent-  it's the PD's office.  Looks pretty nice inside.   

Good rule.

Evidence is something you need to know well, so I'm not sure about a summer version.  Something's bound to get left out.

Nothing will be left out because you will be gracious enuf to send me your outline  ;) ;D

iman

• View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: April 06, 2007, 12:50:35 PM »
hey speaking of evidence--can i get some tips on studying for the exam. any help would be greatly appreciated. lol!

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: April 06, 2007, 01:00:24 PM »
Will you be able to use a copy of the FRE?

iman

• View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: April 06, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
yep

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: April 06, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »
Then I'd say it's mostly a matter of being able to find what you need quickly.  Learn to recognize cues and develop lines of thinking to accompany the cues.  If, for example, a party is trying to enter a police report, you should immediately think hearsay.  Then ask how to get around it.  It could come in under the business records exception (if a civil case), but then you'd ascertain whether the report itself contained additional hearsay.  If it does, you'd figure out whether it's excepted (e.g., against party oponent) or otherwise exempted (excited utterance, etc.).  Once you lay all of that out, then you'd go through your theories of how different people might view it.  For instance, a rational truthseeker might allow it anyway under Rule 403 if it seems very probative.  A narrative integrity judge might also allow it, since it helps the jurors learn the whole story.  A quasi-rational truthseeking judge might not allow it, however, since jurors might accord undue weight to the fact that it's a police report.  Then you'd make some sort of overall assessment and say whether you youself would let it in.

So I guess in short, be familiar with the rules (esp. 403, 404, 608, 609, 702, 801-05, and any other emphasized in class), the big cases (e.g., Daubert, Crawford/Davis/Hammond), be able to apply the relevant theories your professor discussed, and remember the names and holdings of a few extra cases for good measure (e.g., the Brides in the Bath case).

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: April 12, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »
So I filled out the New York Bar Exam application yesterday...on-line...it took all of 6 minutes...they ask a few basic questions like "where do you live right now?" and "what school do you go to?"...it costs $250 which you can pay on-line as well.  Quick, easy, done.

The New Jersey Bar Exam app on the other hand....THIS f*ckin thing...have been working on it for about 2 weeks now and still ain't done....they want to know every address you've ever been at for the past 7 years....your driving record report from the motor vehicles department for every state you've ever lived in for the past 7 years....past employers...credit report (no I'm not kidding)...and it costs over $500 bucks and has the audacity to NOT be on-line at all.  Slow, not easy, not done.

Oi vay.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: April 12, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »
So I filled out the New York Bar Exam application yesterday...on-line...it took all of 6 minutes...they ask a few basic questions like "where do you live right now?" and "what school do you go to?"...it costs $250 which you can pay on-line as well.  Quick, easy, done.

Now if only the C&F portion was that effortless and quick!