Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The Infamous "Most Difficult Law School Class" Poll:

I'm a law student and K is the most difficult class.
 17 (8.8%)
I'm a law student and Torts is the most difficult class.
 4 (2.1%)
I'm a law student and Crim Law is the most difficult class.
 2 (1%)
I'm a law student and Civ Pro is the most difficult class.
 23 (11.9%)
I'm a law student and Con Law is the most difficult class.
 12 (6.2%)
I'm a law student and Property is the most difficult class.
 16 (8.2%)
I'm a law student and LRW is the most difficult class.
 7 (3.6%)
I'm not a law student but I think Contracts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Torts would be the most difficult class.
 13 (6.7%)
I'm not a law student but I think Criminal Law would be the most difficult class.
 3 (1.5%)
I'm not a law student but I think Civil Procedure would be the most difficult class.
 25 (12.9%)
I'm not a law student but I think Constitutional Law would be the most difficult class.
 14 (7.2%)
I'm not a law student but I think Property would be the most difficult class.
 18 (9.3%)
I'm not a law student but I think Legal Research & Writing would be the most difficult class.
 27 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: 1L's & Current Black Law Students  (Read 270190 times)

seu2002

Re: 1L's
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2005, 10:58:31 AM »
I haven't caught up with what's been posted overnight, but I have a question for you, Sands, and the rest of you 1L's that live in NY/NJ.

I keep hearing the Newark is dangerous and not a good place to go to LS or whatever.  There's a R-N thread on the LSD, and someone's making everyone paranoid.  I've personally never been to Newark, so although I don't buy into what's being said, is Newark that bad?  Here's what some cat posted last night:

The open house in March is at night. If I just park my car at the school garage, and get out of there as soon as the event is finished, will I still be safe? Should I bring a guy friend with me? I know I sound paranoid. I live in the Northeast, though I have never been to Newark, but I can't recall having heard anything positive about Newark.

I bet the subway at night is pretty dangerous too isn't it? Please help me with these questions!

Someone else, a non-Hispanic, non-Black was talking about how Newark is one huge ghetto full of Blacks and Hispanics and that it's really dangerous.  I took that as a horrible generalization, but your take on this would be a better word than some paranoid, uppity pre-law's who apparently has issues with minorities.

seu2002

« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2005, 11:25:17 AM »
Ladyday, SMU, Bubbazz, Sands, and lil_token, thanks for those amusing recounts of the Socratic method in your classes.  Please keep them coming.

I'm not scared or nervous about the Socratic method--more like very curious.  I've been reading LS Confidential, and they focus on that.  The only quasi-Socratic method classes I've had have been my German UG courses.  I enjoy speaking, so I'm not afraid of that.  I was just wondering how long professors wait before they start to rip 1L's apart.

One advantage I have is that I've been working in a law office for over 2 years.  It's a great transition from UG to LS.  I've done plenty of speaking at legal events, legal writing and research, and the attorneys I work with are very confident in my abilities.  This does not mean that I'M confident in the skills I've acquired, but at least I have a good foundation to build on. I feel truly blessed to have this job, and more so, to have your perspectives.

Thanks LSDers.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2005, 12:28:07 PM »
I haven't caught up with what's been posted overnight, but I have a question for you, Sands, and the rest of you 1L's that live in NY/NJ.

I keep hearing the Newark is dangerous and not a good place to go to LS or whatever.  There's a R-N thread on the LSD, and someone's making everyone paranoid.  I've personally never been to Newark, so although I don't buy into what's being said, is Newark that bad?  Here's what some cat posted last night:

The open house in March is at night. If I just park my car at the school garage, and get out of there as soon as the event is finished, will I still be safe? Should I bring a guy friend with me? I know I sound paranoid. I live in the Northeast, though I have never been to Newark, but I can't recall having heard anything positive about Newark.

I bet the subway at night is pretty dangerous too isn't it? Please help me with these questions!

Someone else, a non-Hispanic, non-Black was talking about how Newark is one huge ghetto full of Blacks and Hispanics and that it's really dangerous.  I took that as a horrible generalization, but your take on this would be a better word than some paranoid, uppity pre-law's who apparently has issues with minorities.

Sands might not have a chance to answer this too quickly so I'll let u know what I know in the meantime. Yeah, Newark can be dangerous. But I think some non-people of color be exaggerating just a little bit b/c they're scared whenever they are in a place where they feel outnumbered. Do you just want to walk down the street by yourself at midnight? No. Will you be shot as soon as you step out of your place during the day? No. There is a high crime rate there, and you just want to be cautious (especially as a women) as you would be in any place. Most of the violence that occurs isn't random acts either, it's people who know each other. I don't think that it is anything to get to freaked out about, or to say you won't go there b/c of this. And from what I've been told the campus is pretty secure. I hope that helps a little. 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2005, 01:35:17 PM »
I got a chance to take a break from the kiddies today (we're having a high school Law day today) and answer this one right quick.

Newark is the Bricks.  This is true, nobody argues that. That's its rep.

Rutgers Newark is on a campus which is night and day from the city.  It has campus police, the whole 9.  Whoever made the comment about the minorities obviously has a problem being around minorities in mass numbers.  There are not a lot of white people who live in Newark, but there are a lot who work here.

I drive a BMW 3 series and I don't worry about parking it at the campus garage.  If somebody REALLY wants to jack it, they can do that anywhere.  Car jacking is not specific to Newark.  The days of New Jersey Drive are over.  The city has gotten a lot better as a whole, even though it still has a long way to go. 

Again, the campus is fine and you'll be ok living here.  I understand the concern for the question but its really not necessary.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2005, 08:58:41 PM »
i park on the street in albany. my trunk was keyed the other week; it now says, "F*CK YOU"
gotta love albany.

seu2002

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2005, 09:11:15 PM »
i park on the street in albany. my trunk was keyed the other week; it now says, "F*CK YOU"
gotta love albany.

:-\  that sucks.  do you think that was random? 

Thanks for your responses, Ladyday and Sands.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
(*&%#
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO

What's good peeps?  Just got back from the North East BLSA conference in Rhode Island.  Yo, driving thru Connecticut is a boring ass experience. Staight up.  My sympathies to any of you who end up at Yale or UConn.  I think the tallest building was a Wal-Mart or something.

Anywayz, the conference was the jam. If this is any preview of how Nationals is going to be then there's no way I'm missing that.  The parties were off the meter, the sesssions were cool, and the networking was unbeatable.  Plus it was just luv seeing that many black law students doing their thing.  And all the lawyers and judges who came down were the icing on the cake.  It was definitely cool meeting the other area chapters.  Columbia held it down.  They damn near won every single competition. 

Moot Court Competition - Columbia
Fredrick Douglass Competition - Columbia
Trial Brief Competition - Columbia
Orator Competition - NYLS (ol' girl could argue her ass off, she was murderin cats)
Chapter of the year - Columbia
2nd place Chapter of the year - Harvard

So then we had the elections for the Regional Exec Board.  Director, Treasure, Secratary and the Sub Region Directors. The NE region is split up 4 sections where all the schools are grouped up at; NYC Metro is its own Sub region, New England is its own Sub Region, etc.
Each Sub Region has a Director who oversees what's going on in their neck of the woods. Well anyway, your boy ran for the NYC Metro Director, but I went up against a cat from Columbia and they were pretty much winning everything that night so it wasn't lookin good for the home team, but I got up there in front of the crowd, gave my speech and did the best I could.

And when the votes from the Region came back, they made it official.  Burning Sands is now the newly elected BLSA Director for the NYC Metro Region!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Score one for Rutgers!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

shiveringjenny

« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2005, 07:07:44 PM »
wow, congrats.

Bubbazzz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2005, 07:24:06 PM »
thats awesome kid! congrats!!

what exactly does the BLSA Director for the NYC metro region do?

seu2002

« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2005, 07:44:26 PM »
congrats.   ;D