Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about using laptops in law school  (Read 1973 times)

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question about using laptops in law school
« on: February 15, 2005, 09:56:45 AM »
At the risk that this is a somewhat silly question: I once sat on a law school class in college and noticed that everybodyuses a laptop to make notes in class. Basically, I was wondering how people can type so fast. I did not go to high school in the US. Do you guys learn that there? I don't think I can type fast enough (also not used to US keybord) to pay attention and make notes at the same time (will just have to take hand-written notes I guess). So how did people learn to type fast? Also, are there courses for typing faster or something?

Jebber

• Sr. Citizen
  • Git-R-Done!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about using laptops in law school
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 10:00:45 AM »
Yeah most of us learn typing in highschool. There are classes you can take or I imagine computer programs that you could buy to teach you. Typing is pretty much a necessity, if you don't lean you'll be s.o.l.-
2.78 (McGill), 158
ATTENDING: Franklin Pierce

"Concord or Bust(y)!"

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 10:05:07 AM »
Well it's not like I can't type, just not that fast. I can do papers and stuff, no prob with that. But why does *everybody* use a laptop in class? Can't you just take handwritten notes too? In college everybody used paper and pencil too, so why is it so different in law school?

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 10:07:11 AM »
I'll be one of the few not using my laptop for notes!

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 10:09:19 AM »
^

Spend the summer learning to touchtype. You can do it. The reason that I use a laptop (that is, in undergrad, and I will in law school too) is what I like to call 'transparency'. I simply focus on what the prof is saying, and my hands type notes of their own volition; I'm barely aware I'm doing it. Sometimes, if I missed something the prof said, I'll look at my screen and see that I typed it in my notes anyway. There's no way you can get that transparency with a pencil and paper. Plus, you can't be fast enough; if I need to, I can get down every word (can type ~150 WPM w/Dvorak). That's another thing you can't do with paper. I can use Gogole Desktop to search my notes, I can swap notes with others via email, I can go back and easily manipulate them into a bigger hiearchy or a new outline, etc., etc.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 10:10:14 AM »
Typing was a requirement for graduation at my high school.  I used to hate it, but now I am glad they made us do that.  A good portion of students use them for notetaking in undergrad to.  

ilsox7

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 10:14:02 AM »
That's another thing you can't do with paper. I can use Gogole Desktop to search my notes, I can swap notes with others via email, I can go back and easily manipulate them into a bigger hiearchy or a new outline, etc., etc.

I can do this, too.  WIth the new digital pen I just got, I will have these capabilites.  Also, everything I've read says that most law students take too many notes in class, when they should instead be listening and then summarizing things in a few sentences.  Everyone has their preferences, mine is to write!

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 10:19:49 AM »
Yeah to ilsox!  :D . Can I ask details about that digital pen thing? Where can I get it?

Also, Javert, where did you learn touchtype and how long did it take?

Thanks all!

ilsox7

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 10:21:55 AM »
Yeah to ilsox!  Cheesy . Can I ask details about that digital pen thing? Where can I get it?

Amazon has them for 169.99.  It's the Logitech io2.  Just got it delivered yesterday so I've beeb playing around with it.  I like it thus far b/c I am a big fan of having a paper copy of my notes along with an electronic copy.  And with this pen, I'll have both plus it will also convert my writing to a word document, and the software recognition is actually pretty solid andwill be better if I imrpove my handwriting a little.

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 10:29:29 AM »
Cool, I'll check it out. My handwriting is terrible so I wonder if it works though  :-\

Hey are you from Chicago? Went to UofC.