Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 57289 times)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarships
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 10:55:14 AM »
Wow MC, you got rejected from the ABA scholarship too?
I got that friendly "thanks-but-no-thanks" postcard earlier this month. I was disappointed because I really, really need money. I just assumed someone with better grades/LSAT and/or going to STANFORD would be getting the $$. I guess the competition is crazy for that scholarship.
Did you apply for the Bay Area bar scholarship too? I did, keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

When did you find out you were rejected? I assume I was rejected but I haven't heard anything yet! :( I'm tired of being in limbo.

I've only heard back from one scholarship that I didn't get. I certainly wasn't activist enough for it, but I thought I'd try.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2005, 12:12:22 PM »
I got that friendly "thanks-but-no-thanks" postcard earlier this month. I was disappointed because I really, really need money. I just assumed someone with better grades/LSAT and/or going to STANFORD would be getting the $$. I guess the competition is crazy for that scholarship.
Did you apply for the Bay Area bar scholarship too? I did, keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

When did you find out you were rejected? I assume I was rejected but I haven't heard anything yet! :( I'm tired of being in limbo.

I've only heard back from one scholarship that I didn't get. I certainly wasn't activist enough for it, but I thought I'd try.

there is an activist scholarship?  what is it?

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2005, 07:15:23 PM »
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. National Educational Foundation
Scholarship/Fellowship
DESCRIPTIONS

GENERAL GRADUATE
Available to graduate women working on a professional degree, masters,  doctoral or enrolled in post-doctoral study. Awarded for full-time study for  one academic year (Fall-Spring). Not to exceed $2,500 per year-paid directly
to recipient.

Deborah Partridge Wolfe International Fellowship
Available to graduate or undergraduate United States students studying  abroad and/or graduate or undergraduate foreign students studying within.  Awarded for full-time study for one academic year (Fall-Spring). Amount  varies from $500 to $1,000 paid directly to recipient. Documented proof of  academic study and plan of program must be sent to the Scholarship  Chairperson with signature of school administrator or Program Director.

THE FOLLOWING AWARDS ARE ONLY OFFERED TO MEMBERS OF ZETA PHI BETA SORORITY,
INCORPORATED

Nancy B. Wooldridge McGee Graduate Fellowship
Available to members of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. who are pursuing a  graduate or professional degree in an accredited college or university  program. Applicant must have demonstrated scholarly distinction or unusual  ability in her chosen field. Awarded for full-time study for the academic  year (Fall-Spring) and may be renewed. Amount varies from $500 to $1,000  payable to college or university. Proof of enrollment required.

Copies of the scholarship application form may be accessed electronically  via this website: www.ZphiB1920.org
or to receive an application(s) send your request in writing with a return  self-addressed, stamped envelope to:

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
National Educational Foundation
1734 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20009

Requests for copies of the scholarship application form are accepted only  during the period September 1 – December 15. Such requests should be  clearly marked on the bottom left corner of the envelope with “NEP-AR”.

Datatel Scholars Foundation Scholarship Awards
The Foundation awards scholarships on a competitive basis. All students  meeting the criteria below are eligible to apply, regardless of nationality  or citizenship.

Datatel Scholars Foundation scholarship - Any student currently attending a  Datatel Client institution is encouraged to apply.

Current list of Datatel Client Schools that have Law Schools (there may be more):
Tulsa
Valparaiso
Washington and Lee
Widener University
Quinnipiac

Angelfire scholarship - For any student who is currently attending a Datatel  Client institution, who is also a Vietnam Veteran, spouse or child of a  Vietnam Veteran, or a refugee from Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam during the  1964-1975 time frame.

Returning Student scholarship – For students who have returned to school at  a Datatel Client institution after experiencing a five-year or more absence.

All applications must be submitted via the on-line application form found on  the Datatel Scholars Foundation web page: www.datatel.com/dsf. Paper  applications are no longer accepted.

• Before starting the on-line application process, please check with your  financial aid office for specific procedures regarding their nomination  process. Although your institution may be eligible to participate, not all  institutions choose to nominate students, or they may implement a  “screening” process. It is the student’s responsibility to first check with  their institution’s financial aid office regarding any specific procedures  being used in addition to completion of the on-line application form.

The Foundation may be reached between
8:00am – 5:00pm EST, Monday through Friday.
4375 Fair Lakes Court
Fairfax, Virginia 22033
E-mail: scholars@datatel.com
Phone: 800.486.4332
Fax: 703.968.4625

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2005, 07:16:31 PM »
Minority Law Student Scholarships and Fellowships

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
Agnes Jones Jackson Scholarship - NAACP Education Department
Eligibility Requirements: Current regular members of the NAACP for at least one-year or fully paid life members, under the age of 25 before the deadline, must be a full-time student and have at least a 3.0 (B) GPA.
Scholarship Amount: $2,500
Application Deadline: April 30
Contact Information: 4805 Mt. Hope Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215, call 410-358-8900, fax 410-358-1607

Allen E. Broussard Scholarship Foundation
Eligibility Requirements: Minority students. Selection based on academic achievement, dedication to public service and strong character.
Scholarship Amount: $5,000
Contact Information: Jill Dessalines c/o McKesson Corporation, One Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94104, (415) 983-7680, Web Site: www.broussard-scholarship.org

American Association of Law Libraries
AALL George Strait Minority Stipend
Eligibility Requirements: Minority college graduates with law library experience and financial need who are degree candidates at an accredited law or library school.
Scholarship Amount: $3,500
Application Deadline: April 1
Contact Information: American Association of Law Libraries, Attn: Rachel Shaevel, 53 W. Jackson Blvd., Suite 940, Chicago, IL 60604, (312) 939-4764, E-Mail: membership@aall.org

American Bar Association Fund for Justice and Education
American Bar Association (ABA) Legal Opportunity Scholarship Fund
Eligibility Requirements: Minority students applying to law school.
Application Deadline: March 1
Contact Information: Call (312) 988-5404 or e-mail Nancy Cowger Slonim at slonimn@staff.abanet.org

American Bar Association Business Law Section CLEO Fellows Business Law Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Must be first or second year law student who participated in CLEO, is member of the ABA Law Student Division and is pursuing a career in business law. Must write an essay.
Scholarship Amount: $5,000 maximum
Contact Information: Zenaida Arroyo, ABA Business Law Section, CLEO Fellows Scholarship, 750 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago IL 60611, E-Mail: arroyoz@staff.abanet.org

American Association of University Women
Selected Professional Fellowships
Eligibility Requirements: Must be a female, full-time student, U.S. citizen or permanent resident, member of ethnic minority group historically underrepresented in the (legal) profession. Entering first year of study in year fellowship was to be awarded. Must demonstrate academic excellence and financial need.
Scholarship Amount: $5,000 to $10,000
Application Deadline: January 10
Contact Information: AAUW, Department 60, 2201 North Dodge Street, Iowa City, Iowa 52243-4030

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2005, 07:17:37 PM »
Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA)
Richard D. Hailey Law Student Scholarships
Eligibility Requirements: First-year and second-year minority ATLA law student members with interest and proficiency in trial advocacy, desire to represent victims, commitment to and involvement in ATLA, and demonstrated financial need. Selection based on essay and recommendations.
Scholarship Amount: $1,000
Application Deadline: May 1
Contact Information: Attn: Michelle Haynes, 1050 31st Street, NW, ATLA Minority Caucus, Washington, DC 20007, (800) 424-2725, extension 278 or (202) 944-2827

Black Lawyers Association of Cincinnati
William A. McClain Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: African American law student, resident of Cincinnati. Selection based on demonstrated leadership skills, commitment to the Cincinnati community, and financial need.
Application Deadline: March 16
Contact Information: Attn: Michelle L. Jeffrey, Esq., BLAC Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 3181, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, (513) 629-2724

Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
Eligibility Requirements: Second-year and third-year day law students and fourth-year night law student. Selection based on financial need, community service, academic achievement, and legal writing.
Scholarship Amount: Varies
Application Deadline: March 17
Contact Information: BWL, c/o Scholarship Selection Committee, P.O. Box 8179, Los Angeles, CA 90008

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2005, 07:18:30 PM »
D. Augustus Straker Bar Foundation Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Minority enrolled in an accredited Michigan law school. Scholarship Amount: $2,500
Application Deadline: March 30
Contact Information: Attn: Foundation Board, D. Augustus Straker Bar Foundation Scholarship, P.O. Box 1898, Troy, MI 48099-1898

Delta Sigma Theta, Inc.
Sadie T. M. Alexander Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Dues-paying members of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. with meritorious achievement. Non-members may also be considered.
Scholarship Amount: $1,000 - $2,000 (varies)
Application Deadline: March 15
Contact Information: Delta Sigma Theta, Inc., Sadie T. M. Alexander, 1707 New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20009, (202) 986-2400

Earl Warren Legal Training Program, Inc. Civil Rights Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Entering full-time, first-year Black law students, U.S. citizens, who have displayed outstanding community service, exceptional academic records and strong recommendations. Preference given to applicants with well-defined interests in civil rights and community service
Scholarship Amount: $1,500 per year/3 years and $2,500 summer grant for internship with the Legal Defense Fund
Contact Information: The Earl Warren Legal Training Program, 99 Hudson Street, Suite 1600, 16th Floor, New York, New York 10013 or call 212-219-1900.

Earl Warren Legal Training Program, Inc. Public Interest Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Entering full-time Black law students, U.S. citizens, who have a commitment to public interest law. Will pledge to work one year in public interest law for each year of scholarship assistance provided.
Scholarship Amount: $1,500 per year/3 years and $2,500 summer grant for internship with the Legal Defense Fund
Contact Information: The Earl Warren Legal Training Program, 99 Hudson Street, Suite 1600, 16th Floor, New York, New York 10013 or call 212-219-1900.

East West Center
Contact Information: 1777 East West Road, Honolulu, HI 96848

Florida Minority Participation in Legal Education Program
Pre-Law Scholarships (Freshmen)
Eligibility Requirements: Member of historically disadvantaged minority group underrepresented in Florida bar membership. Must be a freshman at a public or private regionally accredited four-year college or university in the State of Florida. Must be U.S. citizen, Florida resident attending a public or private regionally-accredited, four-year institution in Florida. Must maintain a 2.75 GPA to continue in sophomore year. Scholarship Amount: Annual tuition, fees, room and board, up to the full cost at public schools, up to 40% of full cost at private schools, plus annual reimbursement for up to $700 for books and supplies
Application Deadline: May 31
Contact Information: Florida Education Fund, MPLE Office, 15485 Eagle Nest Lane, Suite 200, Miami Lakes, Florida 33014, (305) 364-3111

Pre-Law Scholarships (Sophomore, Junior and Senior)
Eligibility Requirements: Member of underrepresented, historically disadvantaged minority group, U.S. citizen, Florida resident attending a public or private regionally-accredited, four-year institution in Florida. Must intend to attend a Florida law school. Must maintain a 3.25 GPA.
Scholarship Amount: Annual tuition, fees, room and board, up to the full cost at public schools, up to 40% of full cost at private schools, plus annual reimbursement for up to $700 for books and supplies. Up to $7,000 annually
Application Deadline: May 31
Contact Information: Florida Education Fund, MPLE Office, 15485 Eagle Nest Lane, Suite 200, Miami Lakes, Florida 33014, (305) 364-3111

Law Scholarships
Eligibility Requirements: Member of underrepresented, historically disadvantaged minority group, U.S. citizen, Florida resident. Must receive or hold a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, must take or have already taken the LSAT. Must have the intention to practice law in the state of Florida for equal period in which financial assistance was provided. Selection based on merit, potential for success, financial need and intention to sit for the Florida bar exam. Students must enroll at one of the following schools: Florida Coastal School of Law, Florida State University College of Law, Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad Law Center, St. Thomas University School of Law, Stetson University College of Law, University of Florida College of Law and University of Miami School of Law
Scholarship Amount: Up to $10,000/year for selected students at private Florida law schools and up to $4,500 /year for selected students at public Florida law schools, plus annual stipends of up to $11,000
Application Deadline: June 28
Contact Information: Contact any Florida law school or write to Florida Education Fund, MPLE Office, 18350 N.W. 2nd Avenue, Third Floor, Miami, FL 33169, 305-654-7133

Foley & Lardner Minority Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: First-year minority law students attending the following law schools: Duke, University of Florida, Georgetown, University of Michigan, Northwestern University, Stanford University, University of California at Los Angeles and University of Wisconsin.
Application Deadline: September 30
Contact Information: Foley & Lardner Minority Scholarship, Foley & Lardner Attorneys at Law, Firstar Center, 777 East Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202-5367, (414) 297-4900?

Fredrickson & Byron Foundation Minority Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Minority first-year law students interested in entering private law practice.
Application Deadline: April 1
Contact Information: Attn: Greta Larson, Fredrickson & Byron, P.A., 1100 International Center, 900 Second Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55402, (612) 347-7141

J.L. Turner Legal Association
Fred Finch, Jr. Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: African-American second-year or third-year law student in good academic standing with connections to the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex
Scholarship Amount: $2,000
Application Deadline: September 29
Contact Information: Attn: Karen Whitaker, 9514 Millridge Drive, Suite 100, Dallas, TX 75243, (817) 978-6478

King County Bar Foundation
Minority Law Student Scholarship
Contact Information: Contact the University of Washington School of Law and/or Seattle University School of Law

LULAC National Educational Service Center Scholarships
Eligibility Requirements: Minority group member or from a low-income background. Selection based on academic merit, achievement, honors and financial need.
Scholarship Amount: Up to $1,000
Application Deadline: March 31 (varies)
Contact Information: LULAC National Educational Service Center, 400 First Street, NW, Suite 716, Washington, DC 20001

Macon B. Allen Black Bar Association
Eligibility Requirements: A full-time law student entering the second year, in good academic standing at an accredited law school that has exhibited a commitment to community service and dedicated to the ideals of the organization and has demonstrated financial need.
Application Deadline: October 1
Contact Information: Macon B. Allen Black Bar Association, Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 8147, St. Albans, New York 11412, (212) 668-5632

Metropolitan Black Bar Association
Scholarship Fund, Inc.
Eligibility Requirements: Must be a second or third-year minority student demonstrating merit, financial need and leadership abilities.
Scholarship Amount: Varies.
Application Deadline: June 30
Contact Information: 158 Willoughby Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, (718) 452-4045

National Bar Institute African-American Law Student Fellowship Program
Eligibility Requirements: Full-time African American law student who has completed at least two consecutive years of law school, has demonstrated a commitment to creating equality and justice for African-Americans through their work in his/her law school, neighborhood and community, and intends to return to a Black community to practice law after completing legal training.
Scholarship Amount: Range $1,000 to $10,000
Application Deadline: May 14
Contact Information: National Bar Institute, 1225 11th Street NW, Washington, DC 20001-4217, (202) 842-3900

National Black Law Students Association
Sandy Brown Memorial Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Second or third-year law student and dues-paying member of the Black Law Students Association. Selection based on an essay written about NBLA's theme.
Scholarship Amount: At least $500
Application Deadline: February 23
Contact Information: Contact the National Black Law Students Association National Office at 202-842-3900

National Black Law Students Association
Nelson Mandela Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Entering or enrolled law students. Selection based on financial need, community service, strong academic record. Recipient also chosen based on proposal geared towards on area of law as it reflects NBLSA's theme.
Application Deadline: February 15
Contact Information: Contact the NBLSA National Office at 202-842-3900

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2005, 07:19:09 PM »
New York State Bar Association
Minority Fellowship in Environmental Law
Eligibility Requirements: Must be a first, second or third year evening student, member of a minority group with a demonstrated interest in environmental law, and demonstrated academic achievement and leadership ability.
Scholarship Amount: $5,000 stipend with participation in a 10-week summer internship with a government environmental agency or public interest environmental organization in New York State, expense-paid trips to annual spring and fall meetings of New York State Bar Association's State Bar Association's Environmental Law Section and participation in monthly dinner meeting of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York's Committee on Environmental Law
Application Deadline: January 3
Contact Information: Fellowships in Environmental Law, New York State Bar Association, One Elk Street, Albany, NY 12207, (518) 463-3200, E-Mail: kplog@nysba.org

New York State Higher Education Services Corporation
New York State Regents Professional Opportunity Scholarships
Eligibility Requirements: Must have been a legal resident of New York State for one year prior to the academic year of the award and if given award, must practice in chosen profession in New York. First priority given to candidates who are economically disadvantaged and minority group member historically underrepresented in the profession. Second priority given to any candidate who is a minority group member underrepresented in the profession. Third priority given to any candidate enrolled in or graduated from one of the state-sponsored opportunity programs.
Scholarship Amount: $1,000 to $5,000 per year (up to four years)
Contact Information: The State Education Department, New York State Scholarship Unit, Bureau of Professional Career Opportunity Programs, Cultural Education Center - Room 5C64, Albany, NY 12230, (518) 486-1319

Procter and Gamble Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Second-year or third-year minority law students interested in practicing patent law
Application Deadline: April 30
Contact Information: Attn: Lory Attalla, Director of Admission, Franklin Pierce Law Center, The Procter & Gamble Scholarship, 2 White Street, Concord, NH 03301, (603) 228-9217, E-Mail: lattalla@fplc.edu

Sachs Foundation
Eligibility Requirements: African American residents of Colorado with GPA of at least 3.6. Selection based on area of study and life goals.
Scholarship Amount: Up to $3,000 a year
Application Deadline: February 15
Contact Information: Norwest Tower, 90 South Cascade Avenue, Suite 1410, Colorado Springs, CO 80903, (719) 633-2353

Sherman & Sterling and NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: African American applying to law school. Renewable for second and third years of law school contingent upon acceptable academic record and progress. Selection based on demonstrated financial need, academic achievement, career achievement, as well as commitment to public service and the legal profession.
Scholarship Amount: $10,000
Contact Information: The Earl Warren Legal Training Program, Inc., Attn: Sherman & Sterling Scholarship Program, 99 Hudson Street, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10013, (212) 965-2200

Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund Law School Award

Warner, Norcross & Judd, LLP Attorneys at Law
Minority Scholarships
Eligibility Requirements: Minority students interested in pursuing a career in law.
Scholarship Amounts: $5,000 (law student), $2,000 (legal assistant student), $1,000 (legal secretarial student)
Contact Information: Grand Rapids Community Foundation, 209C Waters Building, 161 Ottawa Avenue, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, (616) 454-1751

Wiley Manuel Law Foundation Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Minority students entering law schools in the University of California system.
Scholarship Amount: Varies
Application Deadline: April
Contact Information: Law Offices of George Holland, 1970 Broadway, Suite 900, Oakland, CA 94612, (510) 465-4100

Wolverine Bar Association
Damon J. Keith Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Law students who have completed their first semester of their first year of law school. Selection based on commitment to social equality and combating racism.
Scholarship Amount: $1,000 and up
Contact Information: Wolverine Bar Association, The Scholarship Committee, 645 Griswold, Suite 1747, Detroit, MI 48226, (313) 962-0250, fax (313) 962-5906

Wolverine Bar Association
Wolverine Bar Foundation Scholarship
Eligibility Requirements: Minority law students in good academic standing enrolled in Michigan law schools or are Michigan residents enrolled in law schools outside of the state. Selection based on financial need and academic merit.
Scholarship Amount: $1,000 and up
Contact Information: Wolverine Bar Association, The Scholarship Committee, 645 Griswold, Suite 1747, Detroit, MI 48226, (313) 962-0250, fax (313) 962-5906

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2005, 07:20:09 PM »

there is an activist scholarship?  what is it?

It's called the Davis Putter Foundation scholarship. http://www.davisputter.org/granteescurr.html

Fabyahluss

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2005, 08:10:31 PM »
Thanks Scurvy for posting those scholarships!  :)

j.rosh

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2005, 03:26:53 PM »
Thanks Scurvy!!  :-*