Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 59847 times)

CaliToD.C.

Re: Scholarships
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2005, 09:54:16 AM »
The Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) is pleased to announce the launch of the Lloyd M. Johnson, Jr. (LMJ) Scholarship Program, which is open to college seniors who have been accepted into law school for the fall of 2005 and will be J.D. candidates in 2008.  Named after the founder of MCCA, the LMJ Scholarship Program will award ten or more newly accepted law students from disadvantaged backgrounds with scholarships to help defray their education expenses.  The winners will each receive $10,000 a year for three years.  Other exciting components of the LMJ Scholarship Program include providing prominent members of the legal community as mentors, and MCCA's support in locating a paid summer internship at a leading corporate law department upon completion of the first year of law school.  In addition to the winning scholars, three runners-up will receive a one-time award of $10,000 to assist with their first-year expenses. 

The deadline for applications is June 1, 2005.  MCCA has retained the services of the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) to assist with the promotion and administration of the program.  UNCF will score the completed applications, and provide a list of the top candidates to MCAA for final review with the LMJ Scholarship Selection Committee to select the winners.  Once the scholarships are awarded, the program requires each recipient to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent each year.  UNCF will ensure that the LMJ Scholars remain eligible for the program by confirming that they meet yearly requirements of the scholarships to receive the next year's award.  Scholarship information and applications can be obtained from www.mcca.com or www.uncf.org.  Students can either download a paper application or if they wish to submit an online application they may do so via the UNCF web site (www.uncf.org).

YoungIke

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 03:17:43 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the Minority Corporate Counsel Scholarship yet?

lex19

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2005, 10:07:40 AM »
ike, we won;t be hearing back till late august, early sept  :'( :'( :'(

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2005, 10:18:42 AM »
man..that sucks...  >:(
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

YoungIke

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2005, 10:22:38 AM »

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2005, 02:36:36 PM »
FYI, I heard back about the ABA one early this month.  :'(

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2005, 02:43:22 PM »
Wow MC, you got rejected from the ABA scholarship too?
I got that friendly "thanks-but-no-thanks" postcard earlier this month. I was disappointed because I really, really need money. I just assumed someone with better grades/LSAT and/or going to STANFORD would be getting the $$. I guess the competition is crazy for that scholarship.
Did you apply for the Bay Area bar scholarship too? I did, keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2005, 03:02:17 PM »
Wow MC, you got rejected from the ABA scholarship too?
I got that friendly "thanks-but-no-thanks" postcard earlier this month. I was disappointed because I really, really need money. I just assumed someone with better grades/LSAT and/or going to STANFORD would be getting the $$. I guess the competition is crazy for that scholarship.
Did you apply for the Bay Area bar scholarship too? I did, keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

Yup. I always have really bad luck with outside scholarships, for some reason. At least it didn't extend to bad luck with school money ...! Maybe there was massive publicity for it and tons of people applied for those 20 spots. I figure if they keep narrowing down the field (minority scholarships for native california latinas attending stanford law this fall, maybe?  ;D)  I might have some luck.

lex19

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2005, 03:03:44 PM »
i got the aba post card too and was mad that they wasted postage when they coul've just sent me an e-mail  :-X

YoungIke

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2005, 03:15:06 PM »
I need one of these scholarships too! How do they expect us to pay rent on 18,500.