Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarships  (Read 60749 times)

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarships
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2005, 09:20:20 AM »
I just wanted to say that this is a great thread idea, and specifically thank you to blk_reign for taking the time to research and post all these scholarship opportunities  :)

thank you  :) I know how hard it is, and I know the struggle especially at these expensive PWI law schools lol. I'll do whatever I can to help you all reach your goals, as I reach mine.
Thanks blk_reign for all the info

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: JACK KENT COOKE
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »
$50,000 per year for up to 6 years for any graduate degree.

- GPA must be higher than 3.5
- Must be nominated by your school (each school can nominate two per year I think)
- Must have crazy ECs and demonstrated superior leadership skills
- Need based

http://www.jackkentcookefoundation.org/jkcf_web/home.aspx?Page=Main

This is the one every admitted law school should try to go after. You will probably need to have a strong rep at your school and in your school's community, and several influential advocates to be nominated by your school, but this should be a piece of cake for many of you.

if anyone is thinking of applying for Jack Kent Cooke, applicants that tend to be most competitive are doing a joint degree (read the profiles).  Also please look at the eligibility requirements, if you have already started any kind of graduate program you are crap out of luck.  Good luck to those who apply!

Slow Blues

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
Although this isn't scholarship information per se, I do have a couple suggestions for those of us looking for $ scholarship money.

1. Check with your local Bar association (i.e. your state or county Bar). I've found a few good ones and I know there are probably quite a few out there for every part of the country.

2. Sometimes state appeals and supreme courts, as well as district courts will have memorial scholarships. If you find the website associated with whatever court and do a search, there may be a couple. I found a couple that

3. Sometimes your parents' companies might offer scholarships to children of employees.

4. There's no need to buy those giant Peterson's or Kaplan guides from Amazon or B&N when you can just take them out from the library.

5. The county prosecutor's office often has scholarships too.

6. Definitely, definitely check out individual firms' sites, regardless of whether you're interested in that firm or even in business law. There's a good number of firms with a vested interest in diversity that have scholarships specifically geared to minority law students.

Hope I've helped.

silva

• vc n ss
    • AOL Instant Messenger - donel1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »
does it make sense to apply for the scholarships that are "financial need" based when they ask for your parents' financial info and you know your parents probably make "too much" money to be considered "struggling?"
it's funny how money change a situation

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2006, 07:41:02 PM »
does it make sense to apply for the scholarships that are "financial need" based when they ask for your parents' financial info and you know your parents probably make "too much" money to be considered "struggling?"

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Slow Blues

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2006, 10:19:21 AM »

I'd apply. Applying when parents make more bread than a bakery = Near-zero chance of winning scholarship, but not applying = 0% chance of winning scholarship

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2006, 11:54:59 AM »

I'd apply. Applying when parents make more bread than a bakery = Near-zero chance of winning scholarship, but not applying = 0% chance of winning scholarship

this is true

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2006, 10:11:31 AM »
Thanks to everyone for contributing information here.
This helps out tremendously!

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2006, 10:19:40 AM »
anytime...that's what we're here for :)
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Nnamdi

• wifey....u rock my world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2006, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks Blk for this great thread
IN: BU, UVA, GWU, HASTINGS, CORNELL, STANFORD, NORTHWESTERN, DUKE, BOALT, CHICAGO, YALE, HARVARD, COLUMBIA & NYU
Finalists: Columbia & NYU
OUT: BC (my f**king alma mater)