Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Does America deliberately try to protect its system of inequality?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Black Radicals Thread  (Read 9545 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.C. Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 03:20:23 PM »
What is he going to advise??  :-\

I would like to see more "African-American Community Issues" on the national platform. 

And less expensive, free gifts going to a population that can already afford to purchase the actual service(s) and/or gift(s).

And you believe that Al Sharpton is part of that solution? If there isn't a camera around Al ain't having it..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 03:23:14 PM »

I would like to see more "African-American Community Issues" on the national platform. 

And less expensive, free gifts going to a population that can already afford to purchase the actual service(s) and/or gift(s).

And you believe that Al Sharpton is part of that solution? If there isn't a camera around Al ain't having it..

You are putting words in my mouth.  I did not say that Al Sharpton is part of the solution.  Part of the solution is increased political activism within our community.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 03:33:08 PM »

You are putting words in my mouth.  I did not say that Al Sharpton is part of the solution.  Part of the solution is increased political activism within our community.

I'm asking because you said that he should be an advisor for the party. So if he's advising then he's part of the solution wouldn't you think? You can't suggest that he advise and think that's he's part of the problem.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 03:37:17 PM »
I was just kidding about Al Sharpton!;D

Screw the Democrats! We need a trilateral system based on proportional representation. Im really liking the Green Party. I know you fateful Dems might hate they're taking your dependable voters but tell me exactly why you don't like the Greens.

I agree that we need a third party, or even a fourth AND a fifth, but let's be realistic, it's not going to happen. 

I'm completely discouraged with the way that American politics are running these days.  I  voted Democrat because I had no other choice.  For one, I'm not a Nader fan; and 2, I could have been the idealist voting Green and hoping that Nader would win, but in this 2 party-system, a vote for Nader was a vote for Bush.  I wasn't exactly in love with the idea of having Kerry run the country, but at that point, we were all between a rock and a hard place. 

I don't NOT like the Green party, but in an election as crucial as 2004's where every single vote counted, we could't afford to gamble our votes by voting for someone like Nader.  It's a matter of numbers-- just about any political afficionado will tell you that.  I have yet to meet anyone who despises the Green party's platform. 

I voted Democrat.  And I registered people to vote and hauled them to the polls to do the blue.  How did you vote?

I'm not sure what the results for the Green party were on 11/02, but I'm sure that had all the Green votes been counted towards Kerry, maybe we wouldn't be forced to stomach for more years of Bush and his innane policies.  Republicans... hmmph!!

I feel what you're saying. Even though they were last minute decisions, I voted for Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004. I don't necessarily think that a vote for Nader would have been a vote for Bush. I wanted to vote Green so that the party could get the 5% of the popular vote which is required to recieve federally funded campaign assistance. This would then give the Greens more exposure and then set them up in a position to create a multi-party system in this country. I really regret voting for Democrats because I thin every person should vote their conscious regardless who is in the best postion to win.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Radicals Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 03:54:01 PM »
I don't think that Sharpton is part of the problem. 

All of the parties suck.  Unfortunately, Dem is the only party that doesn't completely go against my morals.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »

See, I agree with you wholly right there.  We should be allowed to vote as we please, and we should be given more than 2 or 3 candidates to choose from.  I've voted Democrat since I've been able to vote because I loathe all Republicans except John McCain. 

The reason we have so much voter apathy and the reason that we can't vote as we wish is because of this whack system called the electoral college. 

I think we find the greatest voter apathy especially in states that traditionally vote one way or another.  Texas has been a red state for as long as I've been alive, I bet.  I tried to convince my friends to go vote, but they all gave the stupid reason not to that their vote doesn't count because the electoral college will counter their votes.

So when are we going to get rid of it?  It's completely messing up our political system.  Presidents should be picked based on the popular vote, not on representative electoral votes that DON'T represent the population anyway. 

Does Iraq have an electoral college?  What about Afghanistan?  What new democracies, all apparently modeled after the US', have an electoral college?  That's what I want to know.   >:(

See thats a perfect example of hoe the US continues to protect its system of inequality. The Electoral College was designed to protect the intests of the elite from the majority low-income population. Abolishing the electoral college would be an extremely progressive step but will probably never happen because even the general population has a fixation with the constitution and would prefer to uphold that backwards ass document.

faith2005

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 04:04:56 PM »
i feel everything thats been said. my hope is that groups like the hip-hop political action convention and others can get together and get young people organized, because then the next generation of voters can begin to affect elections and eventually change electoral politics. i think that some people are starting to understand the purpose of the electoral college, and the sooner we can get people in office willing to begin to advocate for change that'll be the first step.

i don't know if i'm really down to hang around that long though...i see some really big issues dividing our country and i don't think things will be able to continue as they are.

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 04:36:18 PM »
Yo, this Newsweek article made it so much clearer. Do ya'll know that Bush's proposed budget cuts equal eight tenths OF 1 percent of his proposed spending of 2.57 trillion? And as ya'll saw from Regal's posting of the programs, what was the common theme? They target minority communites. How can people seriously argue that this is not just one example of how (As Pharaoh stated) America deliberately try to protect its system of inequality? Or shall I say certain Americans. Yeah, I'm gonna join the Republican party ::)

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 04:40:53 PM »
Any minority who claims to be a Republican should be shot.  Ten rounds.

:D

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 06:44:51 PM »
Any minority who claims to be a Republican should be shot.  Ten rounds.

Then what are you going to do to HBCU?