Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOW LSAT Score  (Read 35488 times)

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LOW LSAT Score
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 02:26:44 PM »
Andrea, they average LSAT scores, and LS admissions has gotten tough, so you're pretty screwed. As of now, you have virtually no chance at any law school in the country. If you're deadset on LS, retake the LSAT and study this time. If you don't have the time or willingness to take this step, I'd consider other options, which is what I think you might want to do anyway.

Think about it this way - to get into a 4th tier LS like Cooley or CUNY (which are not very good or selective LS's ie:they have very high bar flunk rates, some of the highest in the nation), you need a minimum LSAT score of 142 and 145 respectively. That would mean if you retake you'd need scores of 150 and 155 to have an average capable of getting you into two of the worst law schools in the country. that's a 15-20 point increase. Not saying it's impossible, but it'd be tough.

Still, I don't know if it's worth several months of studying for the LSAT to go to a 4th tier school where upon graduation you stood to make 40K/yr and had 90K in loans. That's a decision only you could make. Plus, with low #'s, the number of schools you can apply to are limited, so you might be forced to relocate if you were accepted, which could be a life-altering decision.

Your first score is an albatross. Since they average, the highest score you could ever get is a 158 (if by some minor miracle you got a 180).

Best of luck.

onlylove916

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 02:49:54 PM »
Any advice for my situation? (posted above)

ocelatl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 05:48:07 PM »
Only Love,
I would say you have a decent shot at Mich. State, McGeorge, Thomas Cooley, Golden Gate.  A look at the applicant group for the 2002-2003 year revealed that approximately half of the individuals with, more or less, your stats were accepted.  You are almost assured a spot at Detroit Mercy.  You may also want to consider a part-time program.  Acceptance rates tend to be a little higher for the evening programs.
Take a look at the ABA Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools for more information.  You can probably find it in your local library.  I just checked the LSAC website and they no longer offer the service, GPA/LSAT acceptance rates for ABA-approved schools, online.  Good luck!
"Freedom without opportunity is the Devil's gift." - Noam Chomsky

onlylove916

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 05:50:58 PM »
Thanks a bunch!  I forgot to mention that I have applied to all part-time programs.  I really appreciate the response... I am just so anxious!!!  I am ready to get on with my life!

CJLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 09:40:22 AM »
Andrea,

Defintley go to LSAC and regiseter for the June LSAT. A 135 is a horrible score, sorry :(. With your GPA and LSAT you would be hard pressed to even get admitted to Cooley, who tradionally looks past a really low LSAT if one has a really high GPA such as 3.8 - 4.0. Retake in June score in the 150's and you will be a lot more competitive.

sbrice,

Same goes for you as Andrea. You may have a shot at a school like Cooley or a non-ABA school because of your GPA, but I would still retake in June.

only love,

Your LSAt is more competitive than the other two and some of the schools you applied to are well within your range. However, this year has been more competitive than the past, with even the lower 4th tiers being more selective. So just keep your fingers crossed. If you don't hear anything by the June LSAT registration deadline, I would go ahead and take it. A score in the mid to high 150's would make you a shoe in at some of the schools you applied to this cycle. Plus, with a June test, you can have your applications complete early in the cycle, which also vastly improves your chances.

Good Luck to everyone!

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 01:47:52 AM »
Thomas Cooley uses your highest LSAT score rather than your average.

onlylove916

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 02:19:01 PM »
There is hope!  I was just accepted to the University of Detroit Mercy!!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »
Congrats on the acceptance and pursuit at being a lawyer
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »
I would not recommend going to a 4th tier school. As mentioned before 4th tier students are at the bottom of the job food chain, but they pay the same amount of tuition.  Study hard for the LSAT and apply next year.  The LSAT is mostly a skills based test.  Skills can be developed.  Studying for the LSAT should include a prep course(do your homework they are very different in every area).  I went to Powerscore and that it was excellent.  My instructor was UCLA law graduate and very helpful.  My score increased from 153 to 167.  there were others that went from 130's to high 150's. the avg. jump in my class of 12 from what people told me was approx. 11-13 points.  that is significant.

In addition to the class and the extensive homework that was given out.  I took 20 Lsat's on my own.  In total I took about 30 Lsat's.  It helped.  I could tell +/- 3 points (raw score not lsat score) how I did on the last 10 tests or so.  The only reason I say this if you go to take the lsat again and bomb it b/c of a bad day you will know to cancel your score.

onlylove916

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004, 05:16:30 PM »
Well, everyone is free to have their opinions.  It is a free country.  What you have said is nothing new.  I have done plenty of research on my own and I am all too familiar with the "rankings".  I have also met plenty of successful attorneys who didn't attend "top" schools  because of their average LSAT scores.  Sure it means working harder, more networking, etc etc and maybe you won't make as much initially.  I am not worried about the fact that I might have to work harder than someone else at a "better" school.  It is not a concern.  This is a second career for me and I think my years of work experience in journalism and non-profit will be an assest.  I also applied to Wayne State and I am still waiting to hear from them.  However, I am content with UDM if I don't get accepted to Wayne State.  And maybe even I do get into Wayne State I might still school UDM.  It all depends.  I plan to see my boyfriend in a couple of weeks and will visit both schools.