Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do cancelations look really bad? and other Q's  (Read 968 times)

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
Do cancelations look really bad? and other Q's
« on: February 14, 2005, 03:03:32 PM »
Hi, I wrote the Feb. test, I screwed up on the games section, 2/4 questions, I was really tired and just had a brain fart, other than that it was easy! I am so pissed off that I messed up a test I should have crushed >:( I was wondering what 2 cancelation would looks like to law schools , I know I can do better, I want to kill this test. Also the only school I can get into for the 05 acedemic year is probably U of S, which, by the sounds of it from others on this board, is the worst school in Canada. So re-taking in June and applying to some better schools would be an option for me if 2 cancelations doesn't make me look like a chalk-eating retard to the admissions dept. Also I notice that some Canadians are going to school in the U.S., I am wondering what are the odds of getting a job offer after grading, as the U.S. already has tons of American lawyers, or do you need to go to a T14 school, ie Harvard to guarantee a job? Could you practice in Canada? I did my undergrad in the U.S. and wouldn't mind going back if a job is a possibility, thanks

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do cancelations look really bad? and other Q's
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 03:10:32 PM »
2 cancelations isn't going to look great - as I'm sure you already figure.  How bad it looks, I have no idea really.  Probably depends on a lot of things.  You can always write an addendum explaining the situation.

I think getting a BIGLAW job in the US is probably easier than getting a similar job in Canada.  That said, there is a big gap between schools in the US, so if you were going to a tier 2 say, I would imagine getting a job would be pretty tough.  Most of the Canadians I know goign to the US are goign to t14 type schools...

You can practice in Canada, but its complicated, and may require additional schooling/articling. 

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 05:51:16 PM »
It won't make much of a difference if the rest of your app doesn't have any other question marks that you need to explain. 1 or 2 is OK. Just make sure it's not 3.

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 06:21:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I just needed to know. I guess a second cancelation is less of the two evils, the other being a bad second mark. I was wondering if you guys understand Uvic's strange grading system? Is is out of 4.3 or 4.6, or some other number, the reason I ask is that the %, letter grade and 4.0 scale they use doesn't correspond, ie like a 3.33=b+=75%. Also, I think I can really do alot better in June, I am not a morning person, plus that way I can apply to alot of schools.
Another question, I am in Alberta, what is considered the better school in the West for corp.comm. law? I know Uvic just got the top spot in Canadian Lawyer Magazine, but it seems like every ranking I see of Canadian schools the next week the order is totally opposite, not like the U.S. where top schools usually are pretty consistant. Hey Cheeks, I would like to ask you a question as well, I know if are an american and you get it the top schools, like Harvard or other big name schools, you can get a loan from Citibank that will cover tuition, cause its soooo expensive, like 40,000. I guess I am wondering if a Canadian can apply for those loans as well or how would one afford to pay those gigantic bills without selling a kidney? What do you guys think of the joint program between Osgoode and NYU? I will STOP asking question now, thanks again.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 09:40:46 PM »
Um, i'm really kinda clueless about the financial aid stuff ...

I'm pretty sure you can get a US loan, if you have a US credit rating.  OR, get a US co-signer.  Or you could go to a Canadian bank to get the loan.

And I don't think too highly of the Os/NYU program ...

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 03:20:51 AM »
If you get into Harvard, don't worry about money. Get a sSN, walk into a bank and they'll be begging you to take a loan.

I know many top US schools will give you a pretty big loan and/or scholarship if you really need one. You don't need to be American to get University loans, but you can't apply for federal ones. These big, private universities usually have enuf money to lend out.

I don't think of it that highly either. It's an extra year of school. Plus, if you're already in York, you have to work your ass off to get one of the few openings. Better to just make a good application and get into a good law school normally.

NerfHerder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 09:23:35 AM »
I could be wrong on this since I never canceled, but I don't think that calcelations show up on any record that schools receive. You might want to search the LSAC site or send them an email but I don't think schools will ever know.

Payne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »
Yeah they do show up, when a school requests you lsat marks they also get to see your cancelations, i just don't know how those cancelations are percieved? I will probably cancel, mostly because I know I can do better and also because of defering the date will allow me to apply to more (and better)schools, I was trying to go to school in 05, but I could probably only get into U of S at the moment, as long as writing 3 lsats is view as something that makes me ineligible for law school.