Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Access  (Read 611 times)

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Need Access
« on: February 14, 2005, 12:45:41 AM »
Alright, kick my LSD trash if this is painfully redundant, but what's the scoop with Need Accesss?  I just did my taxes so it doesn't look like the information will be too painful to enter. Here are my questions:

1. Is it worth entering multiple schools?
2. Is the point of Need Access to give the school more info so they can put together a fin. aid package for you?
3. If so, would sending the info to multiple schools allow you to compare and barter a bit better?
4. Can you add schools after the initial submission?

Thanks in advance.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need Access
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 02:10:45 AM »
As I see it, Need Access is necessary at schools that require it.  It will most likely screw me at schools where I had to fill it out.  From the questions they ask, I can't see how it could make your financial aid package any better for you.  To answer your last question, I did not notice any part of the process that would allow you to add schools after the initial submission, so it's probably best to enter for all the schools you are applying to in the first shot.  Also, they want you to send your, and your parents tax papers to most of the schools.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 02:31:19 AM »
As I see it, Need Access is necessary at schools that require it.  It will most likely screw me at schools where I had to fill it out.  From the questions they ask, I can't see how it could make your financial aid package any better for you.  To answer your last question, I did not notice any part of the process that would allow you to add schools after the initial submission, so it's probably best to enter for all the schools you are applying to in the first shot.  Also, they want you to send your, and your parents tax papers to most of the schools.

My parents make a ton of cash, especially considering there aren't any students home.  But I'm freaking 26 years old and on my own--so it shouldn't matter at all what they earn.  Ticks me off that it might really hurt my financial aid package.  So should I really do multiple schools?  Is there a time issue at all (my parents haven't filed yet)?  Will this allow schools to propose a package before I've even committed?

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 02:47:09 AM »

My parents make a ton of cash, especially considering there aren't any students home.  But I'm freaking 26 years old and on my own--so it shouldn't matter at all what they earn.  Ticks me off that it might really hurt my financial aid package.  So should I really do multiple schools?  Is there a time issue at all (my parents haven't filed yet)?  Will this allow schools to propose a package before I've even committed?

I'm in a similar situation.  My parents make quite enough to screw me on financial aid.  Look on the needaccess site to see which schools use their service.  I think that if the school uses needaccess, you need to fill out that paperwork before you will get a financial aid decision.  Sucks for us, since we'll have to pay what our parents are expected to contribute.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 02:52:54 AM »
I'm in a similar situation.  My parents make quite enough to screw me on financial aid.  Look on the needaccess site to see which schools use their service.  I think that if the school uses needaccess, you need to fill out that paperwork before you will get a financial aid decision.  Sucks for us, since we'll have to pay what our parents are expected to contribute.

So, they just ASSUME that the parents will contribute a certain amount or percentage?  There's no way for overriding that assumption and making it clear that parents will do no such thing?  That's completely asinine if that's the case.  Maybe I could call and tell the school in particular not to take parents' income into account since they won't be contributing.  Grrr.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 03:00:05 AM »
If you can find a way out of the parental contribution conundrum, please let me know.  It's the thing that has me most worried about paying for law school.  At least my FAFSA EFC will go down after the first year, but the parental stuff will always be there.  It's terrible, because it may end up playing a major factor in my choice of schools.  I may end up going to a lower ranked school because they do not use needacces/parental info in their financial aid decision.

ilsox7

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 03:04:10 AM »
I looked Need Access in the eye and said, "@#!* You."  As far as I can tell, even schools that require Need Access do not do so for Stafford Loans.  My understanding is that any grad. student can get $18,500 per year in subsidized Stafford Loans.  @#!* you Need Access!

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 08:12:06 AM »
Such a joke that they REQUIRE the parental information.  If so, maybe I can convince my parents to offer the help Need Access is assuming they will ;)  I kind of want to do this completely on my own, though...

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 09:00:33 AM »
I looked Need Access in the eye and said, "#@!* You."  As far as I can tell, even schools that require Need Access do not do so for Stafford Loans.  My understanding is that any grad. student can get $18,500 per year in subsidized Stafford Loans.  #@!* you Need Access!

That's $18.5K down.  Now I just need to find another $30K a year to pay for school.

ilsox7

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 10:22:51 AM »
That's $18.5K down.  Now I just need to find another $30K a year to pay for school.

Got it!