Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR: Pangaea  (Read 2674 times)

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LR: Pangaea
« on: February 13, 2005, 08:00:12 PM »
Wasn't there a question that mentioned tectonic movement  causing Pangaea to break up?  It was a weaken and I selected an answer that stated that ocean activity or something would counteract the movement of the tectonic plates.

Heyabrendan

Re: LR: Pangaea
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 08:03:40 PM »
I agree with you again.

weinmatt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 08:07:23 PM »
thats two different questions i think you have confused...

the one with the answer that ocean movements counteracted the plates was the one that said that tectonic plate movements were making the earth spin faster and that was a WEAKEN q. and the answer was that ocean movements or something was counteracting the tectonic plate movement.

the one with the pangaea was a weaken yes, but i thought the answer was the statement that Pangaea, by itself, broke itself up for some reason (which i can't remember) and that weakens the argument most because it would rule out any other contributory factors such as the tectonic movement

metropolitans

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 08:13:25 PM »

the one with the answer that ocean movements counteracted the plates was the one that said that tectonic plate movements were making the earth spin faster and that was a WEAKEN q. and the answer was that ocean movements or something was counteracting the tectonic plate movement.

the one with the pangaea was a weaken yes, but i thought the answer was the statement that Pangaea, by itself, broke itself up for some reason (which i can't remember) and that weakens the argument most because it would rule out any other contributory factors such as the tectonic movement

with pangea, i remeber picking the same thing about pangea itself breaking itself up b/c it provided an alternate cause? this was probably in 1st lr section...

what is the question regarding tectonic plates do you remember the stimulus about the ocean currents/tectonic plates?

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:14:57 PM »

You're right!  I conflated the two questions, but that's OK because you gave me another to add to my list.  I definitely got the correct answer for the earth spinning faster question, but now I can't remember what the responses were for Pangaea.  

Heyabrendan

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 08:18:47 PM »
The question had to do with weakening the claim that underground volcanic flows had to do with the breakup of pangea.

One of the options, which I chose, was that underground volcanic flows are still occuring, yet no continents are breaking up.

Another answer was "underground volcanic flows occur more often under the sea than under continents." I thought this was wrong because of the "more often." It still means that it could have broken up Pangea. I eliminated this pretty confidently.

Geddon187

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 08:40:44 PM »
Wasn't this the one that included computer programs. I chose the one that computer models of the phenomenom are incomplete.

Heyabrendan

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 08:42:06 PM »
Geddon,

You're right, that was one of the answer choices. I didn't choose it but...

Emolee

• Sr. Citizen
  • I believe there is a distance I have wandered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »
was the computer models answer on the pangea question?  was this the right answer?  was this in the last part of the last section?
wrestling over tiny matters: UCLA vs. Columbia

LSAT 173!  Thank you, God!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=emolee

Geddon187

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 08:47:25 PM »
was the computer models answer on the pangea question? was this the right answer? was this in the last part of the last section?

Yes. I think so. Yes. I thought it was right, because for all of the other answers you would have to make a lot of assumptions in order for them to weaken. Just my $.02.