Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northeastern Open House  (Read 927 times)

abcd

• View Profile
Northeastern Open House
« on: February 13, 2005, 07:46:28 PM »
Did anyone go? I didn't but was wondering if those that did would mind sharing their thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

Last-minute-guy

• View Profile
Re: Northeastern Open House
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »
Yeah ditto to what alphabet said.  I had no idea there was one, when was this?
Shooting for Fall '05 after taking the Dec LSAT

abcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 03:44:02 PM »
it was last thursday, the 10th. i could have sworn i read that someone here would be going. guess not.....

edworld

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:21:46 PM »
I did attend the open house, here are some of my notes:
There were around 50 people, maybe more. They started us out in a tour, which was interesting. Our guide was a 3L and showed us around the law building, the classrooms, and the libraries. There lockers for all students, the library seems small, but goes through the entire building, and the classrooms and discussion rooms seemed new. The guide also knew a lot about the intricacies of the CO-OP program, and showed us the CO-OP room. 
There aren't too many large classrooms, besides the one the information session was held in. There was a CO-OP employer, a 2L I believe, and the admissions director and others. The assistant dean spoke about how unique the CO-OP program is, and she proved this when she went around and had us introduce ourselves and tell why we applied to NE. Almost all responded that the CO-OP program gave something other schools didn't. I was also surprised that most of the students had graduated from the top area schools.
Overall, I was impressed with the building, the location, and those who spoke about the school. A couple of things that really stood out was that through the CO-OPs students are able to have 4 chances at a field of law, and I think this is a great way to know what you want to do before you even graduate. Also, they told us about the differences between summer associates and CO-OPs, where associate positions are more about trying to recruit students, whereas the CO-OPs are real work for students.
The open house left a favorable impression on me. NE was my top choice, and still is.
Attending: American
Accepted: American, Northeastern (w/$8,500), Suffolk, Pepperdine, Southwestern
STILL Pending $%@#: USD, Loyola (LA)
Denied: Boston College, Boston University, Columbia, NYU
Waitlist: Cardozo, Temple

carlsonjd

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 01:28:27 PM »
That is some good information.  I'm on their waitlist and had pretty much decided to not wait them out, but I think I might have to take another look in case I do get accepted in the Summer.  Thanks!

Last-minute-guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 04:36:46 PM »
Thanks edworld.  I actually took an informal tour of their place a while back and was impressed as well.  Despite it being a rainy, dreary day, I left the campus feeling happy to have visited.  I was amazed that one of the library staff took about 20+ minutes of her time to show me around the library, and I had dropped in completely unannounced.  It was a nice personal touch that had me thinking that, if she was at all representative of the staff at NU, they are some amazingly genuine and helpful people there which would make for a great three years.
Shooting for Fall '05 after taking the Dec LSAT

abcd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 05:24:28 PM »
thanks for the great info!