Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How/Is health issues taken into consideration for amission?  (Read 833 times)

JB1

How/Is health issues taken into consideration for amission?
« on: February 13, 2005, 02:48:01 AM »
I had a couple of health issues that made my undergrad experience significantly more difficult (and meaningful to me).  I touched on this this in my personal statement, but I'm wondering how it will be looked upon.  I would like to emphasize (as I did in my PS) that I don't use this as an excuse for any deficiencies in my applicant profile, but rather that I did very well in the last few years and overcame these obstacles (I'd rather not specify them). 

I'm a UC Davis philosophy major; 2.66 LSDAS GPA, 3.33 UCD GPA / 154 LSAT.  I have two incredible letters of rec and (what I think is) a compelling personal statement.  Also, my grades show an upward trend.  Despites all this, I'm stil very weary that I will be very limited in choices of schools, if any accept me.

Can anyone preidct which schools might accept me?  Thanx

Tippy Farmbuckle

Re: How/Is health issues taken into consideration for amission?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 02:52:52 AM »
i am sure that it cant hurt you, however i would think the amount it would help you really depends on what the condition is.  for example, someone who is deaf or blind with your stats would undoubtedly be considered way differently than someone with adult add or some crap like that.

JB1

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 03:21:13 AM »
Thanx

No, not ADD, but I probably have that too and don't know it (and don't want to know).  While at UCD (graduating in June), I suffered with lower back damage.  I couldn't walk or stand for long and had to deal with a lot of pain.  At first they wanted to fuse my spine, but being I'm pretty young, we decided to just try PT and injections.  I gradually got better and I'm good to go for law school.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 04:43:17 AM »
Overcoming adversity is one thing, actually learning from it and becoming a better and stronger person is another. Unless your back damage has somehow either influenced your decision to pursue law or has made you a more mature and stronger applicant, adcomms are not going to care very much. They get thousands of PS's about every topic under the sun, and unless you can show how your experience has truly changed you, they are most likely going to toss your app aside. Adcomms are NOT going to give you sympathy over an adversity...they might however, give you slack if you dicuss how you have learned from the experience. If you devoted more than a paragraph sentences to your situation, I highly advise you re-structure your PS so that you focus less on your sitaution, and more on how you changed and learned from it. (My PS is on adversity, it took me 9 drafts to come up with the perfect one...so be wary of what you write about.)
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 05:08:00 AM »
I talked about an injury and its effect in my PS.  I had a very nasty knee injury that ended collegiate sports for me and almost led to dropping classes for the semester.  I talked about the struggle I had coming to terms with the fact that I could no longer compete.  I also talked about how my hospitalization caused me to miss a lot of the semester and that dropping classes was a very real option.  The point I drove home was that my fighting nature would not allow me to give-up the semester, and despite how difficult it was to make up missed work while continuing rehab, I made it through.  I felt that the situation showed a part of my character that I believe law schools will like.

JB1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 04:35:58 PM »
Ok, glad I posted this b/c how I incorporated my situation into my PS is pretty much described in the previous two posts.  I spent less than a paragraph actually describing and more talking about how it changed me and motivated me.
-thanx
"I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world."
-Socrates

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 02:07:42 PM »
I guess I am just agreeing with everyone else, but I think that it is perfectly acceptable to address a major health issue as long as you aren't whiney about it, and it changed you in some way. I have a brain tumor that cost me my hearing in my right ear, basically wiping out a music career. The experience changed me in other ways as well, and writing about it was defintiely a big part of my PS. I think that without that info, the adcomms would be missing a big part that explains who I am and how I got to this point.

Good luck everyone!
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org