Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canada vs US  (Read 1660 times)

DarkHound

• View Profile
Canada vs US
« on: February 13, 2005, 01:31:35 AM »
Hey,

I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and UT. What do you guys think?

One concern of mine about NW is the fact that I'm Canadian, not American. I'm not sure how much of an effect that will have. For sure, it'll be impossible to get government jobs...

Any other factors u can think of?

Thanks!

jentheshark

• View Profile
Re: Canada vs US
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 11:30:05 AM »
Hmm. What kind of law are you hoping to practice? I think that might make a difference.
Are you hoping to live in Canada after you're through with studies?
Plain Jane.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 11:36:41 AM »
how old are you? 

If i was older, (26+) I would take NW in a second over UT.  NW is a much better school, in my opinion, and will give you a lot more opportunities.  However, if you want to practice in Canada (immediately after grad), then take UT.

If you're younger, I would probably take UT.  Only because NW normally accepts more mature students, and I would feel personally out of place.  I'm graduating this year, and for that reason, I didn't apply to NW (until they sent me a fee waiver, and even then I withdrew my app.), because I felt I wouldn't fit in there.

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 12:18:35 PM »
I'm thinking of international or IP law (since I'm an engineer), but I can't really say for sure at this point..

I'm 25 years old (turning 26 in May). I think the average first year age there is 25.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 12:35:02 PM »
far as i know, NW isn't really known for IP, and I would say UT has a better international program.  are you going to their admit day next friday?

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
Yah, NW isn't really known for their IP law, but their international law is supposed to be decent.

I'm going to try to make it, but I don't know if my work will let me take any more days off. That would be 4 fridays in a row.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »
that sucks ... you have time to decide.  I think I"ll probably fly out to Chicago sometime in the next month to see UofC.  I'm looking forward to the trip ...

Definitely try and visit though - I was dead-set on michigan until I visited.  Now its probably my last choice.  :-\

DarkHound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm planning on flying to Chicago this Friday to check out the campus and ask a few questions. I have high hopes for NW and I'm probably going to pick it over UT, so hopefully I won't have a disappointing trip. I want this choice to be as easy as possible!

btw, Cheeks, when you received your UT outreach day card, did you notice that they offered to help out with expenses if you were coming from out of the GTA? Did other US schools offer that in their packages? I'm wondering cause I haven't received the NW package yet (only an email)...

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 09:42:24 PM »
i can't remember about the expenses.  why don't you call them and ask ... I'm sure they'll be helpful.

Have a good trip :D

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 02:23:02 PM »
Cheeks, Why did you dislike Michigan so much? I'm curious because in addition to some Canadian schools, I will be applying to all the T-14 minus HYS next cycle. In terms of numbers, Michigan is one of my most likely acceptances.