Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Buffalo!  (Read 1009 times)

WOMBAT

Waitlisted at Buffalo!
« on: February 13, 2005, 01:24:58 AM »
Ok, someone clam me down. I mean calm me down. AHHH!
I know that being waitlisted isn't the same as being accepted, but this is freakin' great!!!!

What should I do?

I would attend UB in a heartbeat. Should I tell them that?

Aww man, with numbers like mine... I'm jumping all over this.

(I edited the title so Buffalo / Waitlist would show up in searches)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: I'm gonna pit my shants! Buffalo!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 01:48:59 AM »
Congratulations!  I'm in a similar situation with Cardozo.

What I would do is send back the form (assuming they gave you one) about how you'd like to accept your place on the waitlist and maybe write a letter of intent?  Tell them what you like in particular about their school and give them an update on what you've been doing since you first applied (especially mention new things if there are any).  Then, I'd see if you could get an additional letter of recommendation from an employer or a professor that can highlight different aspects that might not have been brought up in your original letters.

Good luck and congrats again! :)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:29:46 AM »
Congrats Wombat!!! This is so exciting! I am also in a similar situation on the WL at Hofstra (which I would attend whole heartedly if I can get off the WL). I was so excited to make it on to the WL because based on numbers I never stood a chance! It feels great to know that someone took the time to look beyond the numbers to recognize that there is more to us than just our index scores.

I sent back in the form that they sent me, along with a letter of continued interst that kind of updated them on what I have been doing, and let them know they were my first choice. I also brought up some of the programs that I would love to take part in. I have one of my proffessors sending out an additional LOR. I am also searching for one more good letter writer. I am going to call to set up an appointment to visit the school and meet with someone at the end of the week. I also have some other communications planned out, I am not sure if it will work or not, but I think it helps to have contact with them every few weeks to let them know you are serious. Good luck getting off the WL. I am rooting for you!!
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

WOMBAT

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 09:50:08 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts.

Luckily I have a friend who is 3L at UB. She was also waitlisted. I am going to call her later today and see if she did anything special to get off the waiting list.

I definitely have people that would write another LOR for me. My gut tells me that might be overkill. I dunno?

There is so much I want to tell them. Buffalo's application process is very different and really doesn't allow you to directly address who you are and what you aspire to do. The good news is that one of my LOR's is from a well respected UB Prof. I also graduated from UB's special studies program which requires a lot more work than a normal program - my guess is that special studies, combined with my WE, kept me from getting dinged.

I was invited to attend an information session with an ad comm last week. I couldn't go because of work, but I am for sure going to reschedule (I live in Rochester, an hour away).

WOMBAT

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 02:56:35 PM »
Ok, my friend said that getting waitlisted now is much better than being waitlisted later (UB's deadline is March 15th, and they accept Feb. LSAT).

I still can't calm down. I didn't sleep much.

Mat & Shadow, I PM'd you both my waitlist response. I would appreciate your thoughts if either of you have the time.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »
Yay WOMBAT! :D There's some hope for us sub-150's! I know how you feel, if I got waitlisted I'd be ecstatic...I only have a 25% at my top choice so I'm really hoping for the best. Let us know what happens with Buffalo! ;D
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »
Congrats, WOMBAT.  I hope it works out for you.  I dont know what's going on with me and Buffalo.  I've been complete since November and I'm still waiting.  AAAARGH!!!

I'm flying up to Buffalo for a week to check out the neighborhood at the end of next week.

Rachel
qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 08:52:32 PM »
Wombat! Congrats! It's good to hear that they are getting on their saddle and sending out notifications, etc. I've been trying to chill and not get to antsy but that's almost impossible. Thankfully, my wife and I have had family visitin us in Japan since Thursday so I've been preoccupied and away from the computer. I was pleased to read that people were hearing though. Hopefully I'm in that stack of applications they've finally reviewed. My application date and LSAC file date are similar to yours (LSN: Timbabewe). Now I'm expecting to hear something in the next 10 days or so..... Dang, I hate waiting. :)

Here's to hoping you get in *clink*

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 11:06:09 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.

Luckily I have a friend who is 3L at UB. She was also waitlisted. I am going to call her later today and see if she did anything special to get off the waiting list.

I definitely have people that would write another LOR for me. My gut tells me that might be overkill. I dunno?

There is so much I want to tell them. Buffalo's application process is very different and really doesn't allow you to directly address who you are and what you aspire to do. The good news is that one of my LOR's is from a well respected UB Prof. I also graduated from UB's special studies program which requires a lot more work than a normal program - my guess is that special studies, combined with my WE, kept me from getting dinged.

I was invited to attend an information session with an ad comm last week. I couldn't go because of work, but I am for sure going to reschedule (I live in Rochester, an hour away).

well, as far as i am concerned i think you SHOULD pull out another great LOR, and send them a well written letter of intent explaining why you are a valuable asset to buffalo and why you are a perfect fit for the law school there. this is not the time to be soft! now you have to fight!

i say knock them out with your enthusiasm for the school and see if you can maybe get an informal interview with the ad comm, just so they can meet you and you can impress them. good luck!

WOMBAT

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 11:28:38 PM »
*Clink* back at you Othius. Hopefully you will have some good news from them soon.

Yeah, I instinctively defend Buffalo on these boards all of the time. I really do love it there.  :-*

I did respond today. I do not want to disclose the contents because I can't change them now. No need to second guess myself. Thanks Mat & Shadow for helpin' me out. Let's just say I gave them a little more to chew on.

I like the idea of another LOR. The problem is this: I have been outta school for almost 5 years now and most of my Profs don't remember me. And - this is the catch-22 of Special Studies - I barely had the same professor twice. The one I did have more than once is the one that already wrote in.

However, I have work letters ad infinitum. I don't know how much these would help since it really is beating a dead horse (my 2nd LOR is from my boss). Also, my UB "True Story" was work related. 

I really gotta get over there because I have always interviewed well and my strength is person to person interaction.

Thanks for all of the replies. This really is a rollercoaster ride. I had this horrible feeling when I got dinged from Stetson. Now I feel better. Like the Monty Python Knight..

"Oh, It's just a flesh wound!"

I won't stop until I am a head rolling around on the ground.