Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admission to Med School based on where you live...  (Read 1713 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Admission to Med School based on where you live...
« on: February 12, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »
This has nothing to do with Affirmative Action, but it does have to do with certain applicants receiving preferential treatment so I thought I would post it here.

I just got off the phone with my SO who teaches the MCAT on weekends.  This weekend he flew down to the valley (for non-Texans, he went to Brownsville & Edinburg which are both in South Texas near the Texas-Mexico border) to teach a couple of MCAT classes.  His students were telling them that all they had to do was make a 24 on the test (below the national average) because UTMB in Galveston and UT in Houston Medical Schools literally gave them automatic admission as long as they made a 24 on the MCAT and had at least a 3.2 GPA because their area of the state was so under-represented.  Now I don't know the averages for those admitted to these two medical schools, but I do know that a 24 on the MCAT and a 3.2 GPA are probably well below their medians.  Now I'm not saying I am opposed to it...I just found it interesting, had not heard of anything like this before and thought that others on this board would also find it interesting.  And as I said before, this is not a URM issue or an AA thing because about half of the kids in this program were not even URMs.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard of anything like this (automatic admission as long you meet very basic standards) and was wondering if other programs like this exist in other medical schools or in law schools.
Attending: Texas

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: Admission to Med School based on where you live...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:05:30 AM »
I am sure that your reasoning is correct about the reason behind the program.  The UT Health Science Center in San Antonio (where my SO attends) has a program where in the 3rd & 4th year they require so many students (I think about 25 each year) to go down there (and live) and work in one of the hospitals for the year.  And I know that they also give several hefty scholarships (essentially pay for their school...which  is much less common in Med School than it is in Law School) to the students at UTHSCSA who will commit to working there for so many years after graduation.  And I know that Tech has established residency programs in El Paso for the purpose of having doctors in an underrepresented area. 

Like I said...I am not bashing the program...I just found it interesting and had never heard of anything like this and thought that since so many people on this board were interested in AA and in bashing the preference that Texas residents receive at UT Law, they might be interested in this alternative form of preferential treatment in the admissions process.
Attending: Texas

mercutio_13

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 06:53:25 PM »
Arkansas is much worse.

One med school

175 spots

7 "congressional districts" or sections of the state

23 slots MUST come from each district unless they don't have enough applicants from that district to fill the spots

In some districts w/ no major cities the avg. MCAT was around 23-24

In the Little Rock district, the Fayetteville district and the Jonesboro district the avg. was closer to 32. 

Nice, huh?

missvelociraptor

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 05:39:43 PM »
apparently many medical schools do give huge preferential treatment to people from certain areas.  If you come from an underrepresented region or state (like say montana or alaska) or if you grew up in an extremely rural environment, that will give you a leg up over other med school applicants.  also, whatever state that you are a resident of also affects where you will be able to get in for your medical residency.  For example, because states such as California are oversaturated with doctors, if you are a CA resident, it's much tougher to get a residency there than if you are from Arkansas, because they expect you to be less likely to practice in CA if you aren't originally from there.  Geographical preference also affects undergraduate admissions too, so I don't understand the huff people get in when UT Law displays preference towards Texas residents.  If I correctly recall, UC Berkeley is damn near impossible to get into as an undergrad if you aren't a CA resident, and a lot of national universities take your geographic location into consideration when you apply.  For example, a kid with a 3.8 and a 1370 from Mississippi has a better chance to get into say Dartmouth than a kid with the same scores from New Jersey. Of course, I don't see people bitching about that as much as people female dog over AA, which I think is kind of silly.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 06:01:56 PM »
med schools are heavily funded by the state and require this to survive..  hence the state has an interest in seeing a return on their investment with MDs who will practice in the state.  that is more than likely, those applicants who grew up in those areas

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 06:22:10 PM »
Michigan gives bonus points to YUP-ers.  (that is people from the Upper Peninsula, but I don't know how to spell it)