Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of San Francisco (USF) ding  (Read 1099 times)

ZildjianKX

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
University of San Francisco (USF) ding
« on: February 11, 2005, 06:21:56 PM »
Really surprised, I got into Santa Clara which I regard higher than them.  Of all the schools I applied to, I figured I'd only get into USF and Pepperdine, weird.  Least I didn't want to go to USF.

Info in sig.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=ZildjianKX
Accepted: Santa Clara (will attend 2005 FT), UOP
Waitlisted: University of Oregon, Lewis & Clark, Pepperdine, Loyla LA, UNLV
Rejected: USF, Davis

I am the king of waitlists!

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: University of San Francisco (USF) ding
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 07:39:34 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  At least you got into the one that counted for you, though. :)

BTW, just to get us more excited about SCU, my father was interviewing with the CEO and President of a computer company (I couldn't be any vaguer, but I've seriously never understood what it is he actually does) that is based out of San Jose.  When Dad mentioned that I got into a school in northern California (he never bothers to pay attention to my law school news so I was surprised he remembered!) and the interviewers found out about SCU, they started raving about how great and well-respected it was and congratulating him on my behalf.  Coming from people from a company based out of that region, it makes me feel kind of happy to know I might be going to a school that is well-regarded by computer companies nearby. :)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

ZildjianKX

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 07:54:06 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  At least you got into the one that counted for you, though. :)

BTW, just to get us more excited about SCU, my father was interviewing with the CEO and President of a computer company (I couldn't be any vaguer, but I've seriously never understood what it is he actually does) that is based out of San Jose.  When Dad mentioned that I got into a school in northern California (he never bothers to pay attention to my law school news so I was surprised he remembered!) and the interviewers found out about SCU, they started raving about how great and well-respected it was and congratulating him on my behalf.  Coming from people from a company based out of that region, it makes me feel kind of happy to know I might be going to a school that is well-regarded by computer companies nearby. :)

Thanks, that makes me feel better :)  I sometimes feel switching my major from poli sci to engineering was a bad move since it crashed my GPA for the law school application process, but hopefully it will open up more doors when I graduate.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 11:07:12 PM »
Glad I could cheer you up.  Rejections, even from schools you didn't particularly want to go to, really suck.  I think you'll definitely be happier at SCU anyway since they're so highly regarded in IP/hi-tech law. 

Are you planning to go to the admitted students day on 19 March?  University of the Pacific went and gave me a scholarship and offered to pay my way to visit on 11 March, so apparently I'm going to be in Northern California 2 times in 1 week.  In between I'm heading over to NY, NJ, and DC to check out other schools I either got into or got waitlisted at (in order to suck up and hopefully impress).  It's going to be a busy and expensive spring break. ;)

(LSN)

ZildjianKX

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 12:38:11 AM »
Glad I could cheer you up.  Rejections, even from schools you didn't particularly want to go to, really suck.  I think you'll definitely be happier at SCU anyway since they're so highly regarded in IP/hi-tech law. 

Are you planning to go to the admitted students day on 19 March?  University of the Pacific went and gave me a scholarship and offered to pay my way to visit on 11 March, so apparently I'm going to be in Northern California 2 times in 1 week.  In between I'm heading over to NY, NJ, and DC to check out other schools I either got into or got waitlisted at (in order to suck up and hopefully impress).  It's going to be a busy and expensive spring break. ;)

I got an invitation for the early admitted students day back and January but couldn't make it because of work... I didn't receive an invitation for the other day, I guess because I was invited to the last one.  I went to their open house previously so I got a good feel for the law school.

Good luck on your trip.  Would you actually go to McGeorge over Santa Clara?  I already turned down McGeorge's acceptance.

Troy McClure

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 09:29:41 AM »
Really surprised, I got into Santa Clara which I regard higher than them.  Of all the schools I applied to, I figured I'd only get into USF and Pepperdine, weird.  Least I didn't want to go to USF.

USF has a small class size, so they're oddly picky.

Good luck on your trip. Would you actually go to McGeorge over Santa Clara? I already turned down McGeorge's acceptance.

I'm making the trip to McGeorge as well while waiting on Santa Clara and USF to make a decision on me.  I have no interest in IP/high-tech law, so I wonder if Santa Clara would be a good choice since that is all anyone ever says about the school.

Troy McClure

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 04:53:33 PM »
Today, I got my USF rejection.

ZildjianKX

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 06:57:10 PM »

Troy McClure

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 07:11:34 PM »
Sorry...

It happens.  That's why I applied to nine schools with my heart set on none.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 09:11:16 PM »
I got an invitation for the early admitted students day back and January but couldn't make it because of work... I didn't receive an invitation for the other day, I guess because I was invited to the last one.  I went to their open house previously so I got a good feel for the law school.

No, they didn't actually send formal invitations yet.  The date of 19 March should've come in your acceptance packet. . .

Here's what it says (on the back of the yellow-ish sheet of paper with info for admitted students):

PREVIEW DAY FOR ADMITTED STUDENTS
Preview Days for admitted student have been scheduled for March 19, 2005 and April 23, 2005, from 1:00-4:00p.m. in Bannan Hall.  The Dean, faculty and students look forward to meeting you.  You will also have this opportunity to meet your future classmates, learn more about the first year, and find out about Santa Clara's special programs.

I'm going to try to visit also on the 18th and try to sit in on a class, since 19 March is a Saturday.

Good luck on your trip.  Would you actually go to McGeorge over Santa Clara?  I already turned down McGeorge's acceptance.

I haven't decided yet, to be honest.  As much of a rankings whore as I am, I really, really want to make a decision based on my overall impression of the school, its campus, faculty/administrators, students, and the aid it offers me (oh, and of course, location).  If I find that McGeorge seems to be a better fit than SCU, then yes, I would choose it over SCU.  Right now I like SCU better, though, and I have a feeling I'll like the San Jose area better than Sacramento.  Who knows, though?

I'm making the trip to McGeorge as well while waiting on Santa Clara and USF to make a decision on me.  I have no interest in IP/high-tech law, so I wonder if Santa Clara would be a good choice since that is all anyone ever says about the school.

Troy: Sorry to hear about your rejection.  I was going to apply there but couldn't find an answer to a question I had about the topic of the PS on their website or application, so I got frustrated and didn't apply. ;)

What date are you heading to McGeorge, and how much do you think they'd be willing to pay on a plane ticket?  I'm a little bit worried, because the cheapest ticket I could find was a little over $300.  I could find one for about $70 less if I flew out on a Wednesday, but unfortunately I have a big test I need to take on 10 March, so that wouldn't work.

&I'm in the same boat.  I'm more interested in International and Comparative Law (and possibly Real Estate law) than I am in IP and hi-tech stuff (although IP in historical artifacts might be of interest to me.  I love ancient Near Eastern archaeology and history).  At the same time, SCU seems to have a good certificate program in International Law, so I'm not too worried about it.  Good luck making a decision and maybe I'll see you at the legal scholars day! :)

(LSN)