Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Photocopying a Deans List Certificate and Mailing in a Research Article  (Read 218 times)

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
Given my predisposition to land on waitlists and interim pending categories (whatever that means). I feel a need to provide extra material to these schools that will help push my application over the edge.

I recently made Dean's List (3.7 requirement) for the 4th semester in a row. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to send a photocopy of the certificate in to schools that are on the fence about my application.

I also have a 35 page research article that was submitted to the Journal of Law and Human Behavior, linking Cognitive Experiential Self Theory (a common theory in personality psychology) to Juror Decision Making in Criminal Trials. I was wondering if actually sending the manuscript in is a good idea. Its well written and impressive, however I doubt any Ad Comm is (1) going to have the time or drive to read through it and (2) will understand the nitty gritty of the research anyway. Part of me is saying just send it in, it has an impressive look and feel and even if they don't read it at least they will see what you have done. But another part of me is saying not to since its in a highly topic specific and 99% of the Ad Comms wont even read it considering they are inundated with paperwork already (contributing to that might even have a negative effect).

I'd really like some advice on both of the above.
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

Anti_Ivy

Re: Photocopying a Deans List Certificate and Mailing in a Research Article
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 10:47:42 PM »
Umm..  They're not going to care about your research article.  35 pages?!?!  Come on, they won't even consider reading it!!!  The adcoms have far too much to read, as is.

As far as the Dean's List is concerned, isn't it recorded on your transcript?  You should send out an updated copy of your transcript to LSDAS or to your schools.

LaneSwerver

Re: Photocopying a Deans List Certificate and Mailing in a Research Article
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 10:51:46 PM »
Was your article published? Is it a peer-reviewed journal?

If the answer to either of those questions is "no," forget it.

If you answer yes, just include it on your resume or CV. I think that's good enough; that's how I listed my publications.