Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about electric guitars?  (Read 761 times)

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about electric guitars?
« on: February 11, 2005, 02:36:31 PM »
I have had mine for a couple months now and I just busted a string for the first time.  I am not too sure how to replace it.  I have read online that you need to weave through a hole in the back.  Is this correct?  I believe there might be a panel on the back that may contain these holes, but I am not sure.  Because when I go buy strings after work I don't want to ask this stupid question and look like a moron, it would be helpful if anyone could help me out.  Thanks in advance.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about electric guitars?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 02:45:13 PM »
What kind of guitar is it?
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 02:49:17 PM »
It is a knock-off Fender Strat.  An amazing Hondo II.  It is amazing.  Not really, but at least it was cheap.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 02:56:32 PM »
I have had mine for a couple months now and I just busted a string for the first time.  I am not too sure how to replace it.  I have read online that you need to weave through a hole in the back.  Is this correct?  I believe there might be a panel on the back that may contain these holes, but I am not sure.  Because when I go buy strings after work I don't want to ask this stupid question and look like a moron, it would be helpful if anyone could help me out.  Thanks in advance.

Have no fear, Jumboshrimps is here. What kind of guitar is it? Sounds like a fender-style since it has a backplate. If the guitar has a whammy bar, then there is a hole in the back for each string and it can be tough to get the new string through it into the hole in the tremelo mechanism. Follow these steps:

1) stick a straightened paperclip through the hole in the FRONT of the guitar to get the ball end of the old string out of the hole (It may have already fallen out).

2) If you can't get the new string through the back and into the correct hole (this can be tough), take off the backplate and it will be easier.

3) Pull the string all the way through the front of the guitar and run it through the proper peghead hole.

4) Assuming you broke the high E string or the B string, pull about six inches of string through the hole and then kink the string up so that it stays there.

5)Now start winding in the proper direction (if you don't have a string winder, BUY ONE NOW- trust me o this). Take a look at the adjacent strings to make sure you are winding the right way. While winding, make sure the string stays in its groove in the saddle piece (on the bridge), and in the groove on the nut.

6) DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Stop when the string is still very loose but straight against the fretboard, then use your tuner to get it up to pitch. It will stretch for a while and you will have to tune it often until it's fully stretched.

Let me know if you have a different kind of guitar, but the above directions apply to most electric guitars.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 03:02:37 PM »
Also, you shouldn't use the same set of strings for a couple of months. Change them at least once a month. Your guitar will sound much better, be easier to play, and you won't break as many strings. It's also a good idea to wipe the strings off every time you finish playing. I'm a big fan of this stuff called FastFret. It's like five bucks.

A.J

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »
The best way to learn is to @#!* around with it.  A Strat knockoff should have a tremolo which means the strings will load from the back.  If I were you I'd just take off the plastic cover and leave it off.  Its suck a pain in the ass screwing and unscrewing that stupid thing every time you want to make an adjustment or change strings and its looks cooler having the springs exposed anyway. 

Use the same gauge strings unless you are prepared to learn how to set the intonation or pay someone 20 bucks to do it for you and remove and replace the strings one at a time.  It is bad for your guitar to have all the tension taken off it at once and it can @#!* up the intonation.

Oh, and once you put them on and tune them the first time you need to stretch them out.  I usually pick up my guitar by the strings and bounce it up and down several times.  Just get violent with it.  ;)

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 03:03:01 PM »
Most guitars have panels in the back with small holes, depending on what string that broke, you would stick one end of the string through the appropriate hole. (If not, unscrew the small back panel, and you'll see the back part of your bridge.) Weave the string through the appropriate hole...the ball end of the string would be towards you, so when the string pops out on the bridge, the ball end will hold the string down. Then stick the string all the way down the fretboard to the headstock, where you you would weave the end through one of the tuning pegs and tighten the peg while holding the end of the string. You will need to turn the peg many times, but don't overtighten. Also, while doing this, your other strings might get out of tune, so a tuner would be handy. Don't cut the end of the string until the next day, that way the string can stretch for a little bit. When you cut the string, it will most likely get out of tune again.

As for strings, get a whole pack because you never know when you'll need other strings.   I use Ernie Ball light gauges, medium gauge will work too. Just tell them what kind of guitar you have and they'll be able to help you out.

Changing a string is really easy. Here is a guide for acoustics, an electric is nearly the same except you are weaving the string through the back instead of through the bridge pin. Let me know if you have any questions.
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aachangingstringsa.htm

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 03:13:13 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I am bored at work and all I can think about is if my guitar will be playable when I get home.  Thanks again!

A.J

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 03:16:09 PM »
Gentoo you gotta step up.  ;)

These are my electric strings.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/100499/

I pull out the .36 and use the .28 for my fourth and put a GHS .13 on the first.  All nickle semi-flats are the way to go.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 08:58:49 PM »
Gentoo you gotta step up.  ;)

These are my electric strings.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/100499/

I pull out the .36 and use the .28 for my fourth and put a GHS .13 on the first.  All nickle semi-flats are the way to go.

My my, I bet your guitar sounds nice. :D I enjoy the light gauges though, they're easier on my fingers. (I know, I know...I'm a baby...:P)