Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Negotiating with schools for $  (Read 63078 times)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2005, 08:39:52 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

I've gotten scholarship $ at a higher ranked school (X) and would like to possibly parlay it into $ at a school about ten slots down (Y).  However, the X's tuition is about three times the cost of Y and even with the scholarship X is twice as much.  What do you guys think?

Conversely, I've got two schools that are dead even in the rankings with no scholarship $ at either.  However, one school is $10,000/year more than the other.  Anyone tried to negotiate on that basis?

Sorta a similar experience. UHLC is still the highest ranked school I've gotte into. They're also known to have the lowest LS tuition in the country. My average award of $13,500 at schools that are $28,000 (and 4th tier) still makes UHLC cheaper. Nevertheless, they gave me the money anyway. I played the public interest card.

So, that is to say that you can negotiate on the less expensive school, but you really have to push why you want to go there and how they'll benefit from attracting you to their school.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »
Just to add some more info to the pot, I emailed Catholic U yesterday to request money (I have some offers from T3 and T4 schools that I mentioned, but I have no idea if they'll be at all impressed by that).  I really like Catholic, but it's so expensive without some merit aid.  I'm hoping they'll give me something (or even better, match one of my offers!).  I was hoping to hear back today, but apparently they're on a mini-Easter break until Tuesday.  Crap.  Someone send good vibes my way, please.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2005, 11:05:05 AM »
I am fixing to sit down and write a letter requesting a scholarship myself.  I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to let me read a copy of their letter (IM the letter or IM me and I will send you my email address)...especially if the letter was using a lower ranked schools full scholarship to get some money at a higher ranked school.  I promise I won't copy it or use any of it.  I was just trying to get an idea of how to respectfully approach this topic.  Thanks so much!  :)
Attending: Texas

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2005, 07:49:50 PM »
I suggest writing a letter and following up with a phone call to the Dean of Admission or Financial Aid.  I was originally offered NOTHING from a top 20 school.  It's the only school I have been accepted to thus far, so I had no other scholarships to use as leverage.  So, I called up the financial aid department and spoke with the Associate Director of Financial Aid.  After a brief 10 minutes conversation explaining my financial situation and my desire to attend, she told me she would meet with the Director of Admission and re-review my application.  The very next day I received a phone call and was awarded 30K in scholarship money!  That covers almost an entire year's tuition!!  In our original conversation she told me that my numbers were below their cutoff for scholarship money, so I was extrememly shocked to find out I got anything.  It just goes to show that it never hurts to try, even if you think you don't have a chance.  Don't be affraid.  They want to help you go to their school.  If they didn't, they wouldn't have let you in to begin with.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »
Can you ask for more money after you send in you seat deposit?

(I know - dumb question - but I haven't been around here much and didn't know people were really asking for more money.::))

I believe that you could ask, nothing stopping you. But I think that unless something has changed since you sent in the deposit (accepted to a better school, or a peer school with $, or maybe if you can prove financial need), the school won't give you more $.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2005, 01:35:18 PM »

Can you ask for more money after you send in you seat deposit?

(I know - dumb question - but I haven't been around here much and didn't know people were really asking for more money.::))

Didn't lulu get her massive $$ after she'd already sent in the deposit? Maybe the mail was slow ...

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2005, 03:33:15 PM »
True. But by trying to negotiate after sending in your deposit, one is dealing from a position of weakness. While negotiating while holding other offers is a stronger position.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

lawbounder

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2005, 08:17:25 AM »
I've only heard scholarship info from USC, but it seems like most people have already recieved their financial aid info.  Is it odd that I still haven't recieved FA info from my other schools?

mschuell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2005, 02:54:25 PM »
Another good news story- I wrote a letter to Temple two weeks ago telling them about the Seton Hall offer (24K a year) and asking them to reconsider my file. 

I just got en email today notifying me that I was receiving a Law Faculty Scholar award, which is 7,500 a year, renewable, compared to the 10,000 First Year Scholar grant, not renewable that I initially received.

3.35, 163

Attending: Seton Hall
Accepted:  Rutgers-Newark ($), Villanova, Brooklyn ($), Temple($),  American, Seton Hall($), Cardozo PT                      
Rejected: Fordham, GMU
Waitlisted:Pending:  None

JDubs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2005, 03:38:33 PM »
Another good news story- I wrote a letter to Temple two weeks ago telling them about the Seton Hall offer (24K a year) and asking them to reconsider my file. 

I just got en email today notifying me that I was receiving a Law Faculty Scholar award, which is 7,500 a year, renewable, compared to the 10,000 First Year Scholar grant, not renewable that I initially received.

what does that do for where they rank with you?
LSN

Going to Temple's Evening Program in '07!