Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Negotiating with schools for $  (Read 63095 times)

jeeshsta

• View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2007, 06:47:27 PM »
Any way to deal with just trying to get them to hurry up their process?  I found out that I got into OU via phone on Tuesday and I asked them about scholarships.  They said that their scholarship committee would let me know in 2-3 weeks.  Well, I owe a deposit to UNLV before then who offered full tuition (for the last two years depending on top 1/3).

Another sitution is that in my personal statement I pretty much said I would be going to OU.  Now, with scholarships and other things, it's not quite as clear as it once was.  But, they don't know that and might not offer anything because they think it won't affect me.

I would just send an email or call.  I asked a couple schools to hurry up the process to meet another deadline and they were pretty accomodating.  I would ask them to match UNLV's scholarship.  "...While OU is my top choice, the full tuition for 2 years at UNLV makes my decision difficult (I wouldnt mention the GPA requirement).  If OU could give me a similar offer, I will definitely attend.  Also, the deposit deadline for UNLV is this date.  I would greatly appreciate scholarship info before then, so I don't have to send in a deposit to a school I might not go to."...something like that, except written much better.  Also, you could ask UNLV to extend their deadline - a bunch of schools did that for me.

As for the personal statement, I wouldn't mention it - I doubt they remember what you said in your personal statement, and everyone probably writes that OU is their top choice anyway.

That's a good idea.  I've already recieved an extension from UNLV, so probably a no-go on that idea.  Thanks for the advice!
University of Oklahoma '10

daydreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2007, 07:46:22 PM »
anyone heard of getting money after they've already committed to the school?  telling about other offers is pretty moot at this point...

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 06, 2007, 08:21:12 PM »
anyone heard of getting money after they've already committed to the school?  telling about other offers is pretty moot at this point...

I sent in my first deposit to USD and withdrew from all of my other acceptances and received no money initially. Two weeks after asking USD to match my McGeorge offer, they sent me a $16,000 scholarship for my first year. I don't know if the e-mail helped but it was certainly worth a try. Whatever the reason, I got a scholarship.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 06, 2007, 10:26:31 PM »

How do they know you don't have deposits at multiple places?  Did you sign a statement saying you'll withdraw from all other schools?  Several people I know have multiple deposits, and even more have deposits down at one school, yet hope to get off the waitlist at another.  Schools know that, and may give you more money to get you to commit.

To address your question, I know someone who didn't get a scholarship to UT initially (though he had very good numbers), sent his deposit in anyway, and then found out they gave him $7K/per year.  there's hope.

I'm assuming, based on your profile name, that you are Russian. Am I correct? Also, are you sweet?

LSN

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 07, 2007, 10:44:44 AM »
I'm assuming, based on your profile name, that you are Russian. Am I correct? Also, are you sweet?

1. yes
2. my disposition changes with the weather, but usually, I am.  ;D

You?
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 07, 2007, 07:22:36 PM »

1. yes

You?

I was born in Russia but I don't consider myself Russian. Yet I can still understand much of the language. Congrats on your awesome acceptances. Why didn't you apply to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford?

LSN

lru22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »
i just initiated negotiations with st. mary's. I prefer to go there over stlc but they are not offering any scholarships. I'm hoping to get one even if it is very small.
In-Ave Maria$$, Cooley$,S St. Mary's, STLC$
Wailist-U of the Pacific, SMU,U of San Francisco, UALR,Santa Clara
Out-Miami, Texas Tech,U of Houston, Hamline, Baylor
Pending- Florida Coastal

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2007, 09:53:07 PM »
i just initiated negotiations with st. mary's. I prefer to go there over stlc but they are not offering any scholarships. I'm hoping to get one even if it is very small.

I hope you get in at USF so you can join me and mugatu!   ;D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 07, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »

1. yes

You?

I was born in Russia but I don't consider myself Russian. Yet I can still understand much of the language. Congrats on your awesome acceptances. Why didn't you apply to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford?

Basically, because they don't offer scholarships :) 

I'm still a foreigner, so no Stafford loans, and I have no desire to carry $100K of debt on 12% APR private loans (nor will any lender in their right mind authorize that kind of credit line for me).

Congrats to you too on USD - great school and you couldn't do better on the location!
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 08, 2007, 03:40:11 AM »
yeah i plan on playing this game tomorrow.  i have two deposits in but santa clara just accepted me about a week ago and theyre giving me 14k for the first year.  the scholarship is renewable too.  honestly, i don't have a true top choice this late in the game so i am seriously considering santa clara...although i would say i am leaning toward miami.  it's just that 14k is a lot of money to pass up if i dont have money at any other school.  i'll call up Miami admissions tomorrow and see if they are willing to give me some money.  it certainly would make my decision much easier.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.