Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Negotiating with schools for $  (Read 64862 times)

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
If the school turns down your request for a scholarship, is there any way that you can ask for money for 2L and 3L if your GPA hits a certain benchmark during 1L?

I think that most schools have a formal policy for offering people who do well their first year scholarship money for second and third year...especially if that school wants to keep its star students from transferring to another school.

I don't know what the formal GPA/class rank is but W&L automatically increases scholarships if you do well.

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 11, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »
Well, I failed in my efforts to get any $$ from BU. I still don't understand why they didn't offer me anything because looking at LSN they seem to be pretty generous. I guess maybe it's because my parents have money, but it's not like that does me any good.
i feel u
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010!

legally law

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 11, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »
If the school turns down your request for a scholarship, is there any way that you can ask for money for 2L and 3L if your GPA hits a certain benchmark during 1L?

I think that most schools have a formal policy for offering people who do well their first year scholarship money for second and third year...especially if that school wants to keep its star students from transferring to another school.

I don't know what the formal GPA/class rank is but W&L automatically increases scholarships if you do well.

Awesome - thanks for the info, everyone.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »
I just totally failed at negotiating with Penn.  I didn't realize until too late that they didn't read a single email I sent them and I should have just called, and now they claim to be "out" of merit money.  This blows.
UPenn '10

h2xblive

« Reply #304 on: April 11, 2007, 03:42:14 PM »
I just totally failed at negotiating with Penn.  I didn't realize until too late that they didn't read a single email I sent them and I should have just called, and now they claim to be "out" of merit money.  This blows.

Sorry to hear that.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 12, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
For those interested, it looks like USC upped my offer from 10k/year to 15k/year.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 12, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »
For those interested, it looks like USC upped my offer from 10k/year to 15k/year.

That's awesome!  Does that lure you away from GW?
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 12, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »

That's awesome!  Does that lure you away from GW?

I don't know.  I don't think so.  I'd still have to take out at least 90K to attend USC.  Added to the fact that GW just promised a housing grant of 1500/month for the first year and I find it really hard to justify going to USC.  It's likely that I could graduate from GW with no debt.

watso059

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 12, 2007, 12:28:40 PM »
tag
Yay (In): Samford, Stetson, Mercer, Miami, LSU$, South Texas$$, Jones$$, Barry$$, Cooley$$$
Boo (Dings): Tulane, UGA

Considering: Jones$, Cumberland, Mercer
Withdrawn: Barry, STCL, Cooley, LSU, FL Coastal, Miami, Stetson

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=watso059

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »
any successful negotiations with fordham?  anyone?
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...