Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Negotiating with schools for $  (Read 63889 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 8991
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #280 on: April 01, 2007, 10:47:28 PM »
Question:

SHould I wait until a school gives me their offer b4 letting them know about a competing offer?
Columbia 3L

Team Pam

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 890
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2007, 10:54:27 PM »
Question:

SHould I wait until a school gives me their offer b4 letting them know about a competing offer?

I didn't, because there's not that much time left.
UPenn '10

Special Agent Dana Scully

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 8991
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2007, 11:26:47 PM »
good points all of you.  i'm gonna call one of the admissions ppl who i got friendly with tomorrow and ask him.  i already have the email and scanned letter of the award on tap in my drafts.  if he says send it in, i'll just press *send*.  but i agree with all of you.  the fin aid ppl at cls said offers should be going out at the end of next week...but the haggling could take a while like some of you said.
Columbia 3L

Matokah

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1556
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2007, 12:25:08 AM »
tj.: I don't know if this was the sole deciding factor for me getting an increase in my scholarship from Pacific, but I did explain that, due to my goal of attaining a public interest career, an offer from a tier 4 school I got into was a lot more tempting than theirs (I said it in a nice way, though ;)).  All the other schools I got money from were less than what Pacific originally offered. 

I'd say that if funding is important to you, definitely bring up the offer.  Pacific could've just told me to take a hike after seeing Hamline's offer, since they're not peer schools, but instead they increased their scholarship to get closer to Hamline's.  Who knows?

(Then again, it's very possible that I got the increase due to acceptances without money at higher-ranked schools that I mentioned.  If you've gotten into higher-ranked schools, you might find a subtle way to mention it at your number 1, as well).

Either way, move quickly and get in touch with someone to see how they receive your initial request.  Good luck!

This was the plan of attack I was considering. I'm trying to compose an email tonight; do you think it's better to call, or to email?


Ooh, it really depends.  I started my negotiation at an ASD and was told to email so-and-so.  I also sent in a hard copy of all my other offers, but I did this 3 weeks before deposits were due.  Since it's already later than that for you, I'd call and see if you can figure out how to proceed from there.  Good luck!

Alternatively, you could send the email and then call to make sure it was received (or that you sent it to the correct person)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Matokah

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1556
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #284 on: April 02, 2007, 12:26:25 AM »
good points all of you.  i'm gonna call one of the admissions ppl who i got friendly with tomorrow and ask him.  i already have the email and scanned letter of the award on tap in my drafts.  if he says send it in, i'll just press *send*.  but i agree with all of you.  the fin aid ppl at cls said offers should be going out at the end of next week...but the haggling could take a while like some of you said.

I agree with everyone else.  It's too late in the cycle to wait.  Bug them now. :)

Also, have people put down deposits without getting their financial aid award letter yet?  I did, and I'm wondering if that was a bit of an idiotic move on my part.  I think I'll be alright since all my other financial aid letters have been identical.  This process seems to involve so many steps and lots of risk. :P
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

muffin83

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 160
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2007, 10:42:09 AM »
hey guys,

i am right now deciding between BU (30K a year) BC (25k a year) and Vandy (15k a year).  I want to live and practice in Boston so I think I am going to one of the boston schools.  I liked BC a lot but i'm leaning towards BU.  I know BU gives out a dean's scholarship of 40k.  Do you think I can ask for it?  My numbers are good for BU but not astronomical 3.88/166.  I don't have better money to bargain with but it seems that most people offered it have withdrawn.  This would be the nail in the coffin and definitely put me at BU.  But would they consider giving to me? I feel like I'm being a little greedy because they already gave me such a great package, but I'm looking for a BC/BU tie breaker and this would DEFINITELY be it.

should i just shut up and be happy with what I have, I don't want to seem ungrateful...

advice appreciated.  thank you.

WeeSqueak

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1357
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »
I'm 0 for 2 so far.  It kinda sucks but then I'm lucky to have good choice so no more complaining.

sladkaya

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
hey guys,

i am right now deciding between BU (30K a year) BC (25k a year) and Vandy (15k a year).  I want to live and practice in Boston so I think I am going to one of the boston schools.  I liked BC a lot but i'm leaning towards BU.  I know BU gives out a dean's scholarship of 40k.  Do you think I can ask for it?  My numbers are good for BU but not astronomical 3.88/166.  I don't have better money to bargain with but it seems that most people offered it have withdrawn.  This would be the nail in the coffin and definitely put me at BU.  But would they consider giving to me? I feel like I'm being a little greedy because they already gave me such a great package, but I'm looking for a BC/BU tie breaker and this would DEFINITELY be it.

should i just shut up and be happy with what I have, I don't want to seem ungrateful...

advice appreciated.  thank you.

Won't hurt to try, right? Tell them you have many difficult decisions and cost of education is your number one concern, and ask if there is any possibility of getting more money.  Don't tell them how much other schools gave you unless they ask, just say you have substantial scholarships from other schools.  Don't lie, but don't volunteer that information.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

WeeSqueak

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1357
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2007, 12:33:14 PM »
Wee Squeak- why did you withdraw from UVA? I've just sent my plea for more money from Cornell (before ever having recieved the initial offer) I will let you know how that turns out...

Don't really want to be at UVA.  Don't like the atmosphere. Also I got waitlisted so I just didn't want to wait given I had other good options.

sladkaya

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating with schools for $
« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »
You love 1) them 2) the area 3) your money. If there's anyway they could make those 3 things happen you'd be greatly appreciative, and have a seat deposit in on the hour.

Hah, almost exactly the summary of my final request for matching funds to UT ;D
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya