Law School Discussion

Cal Western v Chapman v Thomas Jefferson v Whittier

mrizzle

• Gin. It's what's for dinner.
    • View Profile
Cal Western v Chapman v Thomas Jefferson v Whittier
« on: February 10, 2005, 01:59:06 PM »
Hello all.. Curious on your thoughts about the above mentioned schools.
All schools have offered me mild scholarship money, which i certainly was not expecting based on my numbers (3.03, 156).

Needless to say I have done my homework and seem to have exhausted all resources on where I should attend school next year. I am leaning towards Chapman because of their affiliation with a university, new facilities and the great potential for upward movement.

I am curious, however, about the other schools. Cal Western and Whittier seem a little bit more established, with Cal Western a slight edge of the others.

Thoughts?

Re: Cal Western v Chapman v Thomas Jefferson v Whittier
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 02:06:30 PM »
I would choose chapman out of those four.  I have seen too many arguments on here between people that go to TJSL and Cal Western trying to decide which school is crappier to take either school seriously.  Also, the fact that chapman is associated with a university is nice.  I also heard that whittier likes to kick out about 1/3 of 1Ls to boost bar passage rates down the road, but from what i've read it seems that lots of T3/T4 schools do that.

Just my 2 cents...

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 02:13:48 PM »
Chapman has a better rep than Whittier or CW, not to mention better facilities and lower attrition rates. The only downside is that it is relatively new, so it could affect your chances of getting a job in another region. But if you plan on staying and working in CA, I would most likely choose Chapman.

Oh, and congrats on the acceptances and $$$! :)

liberty shark

• awesome.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - libertyshark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 06:07:05 PM »
chapman all the way.  their grads fare EXTREMELY well in orange county; whittier's great for family law, cal western is definitely better than thomas jefferson, which has a pretty crappy rep. down in san diego.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 06:22:38 PM »
I would pick Chapman- They want to move up in the rankings and they might even be a tier 3 by the time you graduate

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 06:55:09 PM »
I'd pick Chapman too. For me, it's the only tier 4 school at all in the running. It's reputation is pretty good in Orange County and SoCal in general and its alumni base, though small, is very dedicated. As previously said, the attrition rates are low and it is within a university campus. All MAJOR pluses. They also offer on-campus housing which can greatly offset the cost of tuition. Finally, of the 4, and not just on its own, Champan is clearly the best. Plus, Chapman has the lowest average rate of LS indebtedness of all SoCal law schools. CalWestern is respectable but is fighting negative history; Whittier has a scary curve and attrition rate, and all of the 1Ls I know that loved it are now trying to transfer; TJ is not respected at all. CHAPMAN BABY!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 10:01:06 PM »
I was planning on applying to Chapman; however, I found out that they don't have a PT Program. Therefore, I'm left with Whittier, Southwestern, and ::crosses fingers:: USD.   :-\

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 11:24:02 PM »
I was planning on applying to Chapman; however, I found out that they don't have a PT Program. Therefore, I'm left with Whittier, Southwestern, and ::crosses fingers:: USD.   :-\

On their app, they have a check box for PT... or am I just mistaken? They are also listed on LSAC as having a part-time program. I was going to apply PT, am I missing something here?  ???

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 06:13:40 AM »
I hope you're missing something. For some reason though, I thought they didn' offer a PT program for 2005.  I'll have to do a bit mo searching. ???

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 08:11:05 AM »
NO PT Program!! confirmed today @ 8:09 PST.

Apparently, the last time they had a PT program was in 2003.  That sucks, cause Chapman would have been a nice alternative, unfortunately, I don't think they're good enough for me to quit my job and go full time. Looks like I'll be going PT at another local school.