Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Senior Thesis & Law School  (Read 2437 times)

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
Senior Thesis & Law School
« on: February 10, 2005, 03:38:18 PM »
Hey all!

I'll be applying for the 2006 cycle. I have an option of writing a senior thesis, but I'm thinking of nixing it, taking a senior seminar, and graduating early--so I can have some travel time before I start law school.

But, if anyone out there thinks that taking the extra time/effort to do a senior thesis is a big law school application plus, I might re-think.

As for me: I'm 25, and I've got a number of other projects/work experience going for me, so it's not like I won't have anything to talk about on my applications.

If I *did* do a senior thesis, though, it would probably deal with an intersection of environmental issues and human rights, which would parlay decently into my presumed focus of environmental law.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com

puma

Re: Senior Thesis & Law School
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:26:42 PM »
If I were in your situation, I would graduate early and travel.  I'm doing a thesis on Party politics, it has been pretty easy, but I think it will definately help me, marginal LSAT and all.  It seems you have plenty of other things to help your app.  Get a good LSAT, and you're set.

NeverForever

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:51:37 PM »
I don't think that a senior thesis would be a big selling point to law schools.

However, that being said, I did choose to write an honors thesis. To torture myself? Possibly... but I keep telling myself that I did it to finish up undergrad with something academic that I will always remember.

DunkinsFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »
I'm mostly just replying so that I can see others' responses.  I don't really know how law schools view a sr. thesis-- I'm hoping, for my sake, that it helps.  I'm especially hoping that it's the kind of thing that would offset a lowish GPA.

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 05:00:22 PM »
I would think that writing a thesis looks very good to law schools for several reasons, the primary one being that you chose to challenge yourself when you didn't have to.
UVa it is!

Jennaye

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 05:13:45 PM »
I would say in general, it's not worth it.  Law schools don't seem to care about research experience nearly as much as they care about interesting life experience and high numbers.  

I talked a bit about my senior honors thesis in my PS, only because it was on comparative law and because I'm applying to joint JD/PhD programs so I wanted to make myself out to be a scholar-intellectual.  Also, it gave me more contact with professors which in turn enhanced my LORs.

That said, senior theses differ from school to school and even program to program... if it's a really big deal (like it is in my program; 2 semesters and 80-100pgs) and you get lots of accolades for doing it, I'd say go for it.  But if you would use that time doing something else very interesting, I'd say opt for that.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 07:03:36 PM »
I started research last may for my honors thesis. I graduate in three months and I give it a 1/3 shot that it will get done in time to graduate magna (the whole reason I started it). I am just giving an example of how much work these things can entail. If you are science oriented, the research part may just never 'work' (therefore leaving you with little to write about).
Just plan ahead on your thesis so your topic is "do-able"
(163+172)/3.5

'lit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 07:28:10 PM »
i worked my @ss off on my thesis. did it get me into my reaches? anyone's guess. but i have a 120-page bound manuscript at home that I WROTE, and there are few things of which i'm prouder. i'd say treat it like running a marathon or climbing a mountain-- do it because you can, it's really good for you, and it's an accomplishment you'll always have.

on a related note, you will learn a lot about yourself-- how you work best, your strengths & weaknesses, whether you'd ever want to be an academic, etc. all of that ill help in LS.

NeverForever

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 07:37:16 PM »
i worked my @ss off on my thesis. did it get me into my reaches? anyone's guess. but i have a 120-page bound manuscript at home that I WROTE, and there are few things of which i'm prouder. i'd say treat it like running a marathon or climbing a mountain-- do it because you can, it's really good for you, and it's an accomplishment you'll always have.

on a related note, you will learn a lot about yourself-- how you work best, your strengths & weaknesses, whether you'd ever want to be an academic, etc. all of that ill help in LS.

Was this for grad or undergrad?

'lit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 07:46:31 PM »

Was this for grad or undergrad?

ug senior honors thesis