Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Liberty U Rocks!  (Read 1683 times)

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Liberty U Rocks!
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:43:01 PM »
To all those that think they have liberty figured out,

I went on their campus tour and it was, to say the least, enlightening.  It really is easy to dismiss the school at first glance but that is a mistake.  Sure the codes and rules are a little strict but everyone could use a little discipline, especially in law school.  And to all you christian bashers out there, have a little respect for what libery is trying to do.  You really must go and witness what i did.  It was so refreshing to see that there was a school which was trying its best to save future lawyers from eternal damnation.  And studying seemed so interesting, with the lack of temptation of sexual intercourse or for that matter, foreplay.  And I am finally glad to see that Drinking alcohol now ranks in the same catagory as racist acts, at least one university is coming around.  Praise the lord.  Now I know why the bible doesn't say many good things about law school, b/c there was no Liberty U!

(not really)
3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

Last-minute-guy

• View Profile
Re: Liberty U Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:36:21 PM »
While I can't comment on the school since I haven't been there, I can definitely be apprehesive due to the fact that it was founded by the infamous Jerry Falwell.  This is the same guy that blamed 9-11 on all of the homosexuals in this country, saying that God was punishing us for tolerating such a lifestyle in our midst.  That's like saying that God was punishing Floridians for their mistake in the election by throwing four hurricanes their way.  Same logic. With a guy like this in charge, you can be fairly certain that they will be teaching incoming freshmen the law according to Falwell instead of incorporating the teachings of Jesus.  The conservative Christian movement has done a lot of damage to this great nation of ours, and a hell of a lot of damage to God's word and the true message of Jesus.  My fear is that this will be a training ground for future lawyers trying to amend the Constitution to keep gays from marrying (as if heterosexual infidelity is not undermining the sanctity of marriage) and doing their best to overturn Roe v. Wade instead of fighting for the education and prevention efforts to keep unwanted pregnancies from occurring in the first place.  While again, these may be mere assumptions (again, I have never visited Liberty), based on its founder, I can legitimately have reason to worry.  Let's hope the future proves me wrong.
Shooting for Fall '05 after taking the Dec LSAT

johnnycash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:22:48 PM »
Why do you both hate Christians so much?

seu2002

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 09:37:31 PM »
I'm a Christian.  I wouldn't attend Liberty U for a couple of reasons:

1- it's not ABA approved

2-Jerry Falwell is scary.  Although he might be a good Christian- I am no judge (judge not lest ye be judged),--he doesn't come across as being a 'hate the sin, not the sinner' type of person.  he blamed homosexuals for 9/11.  he could have said that the sin of america is what was to blame for 9/11, which would have instead made people think and reflect on the state of their spiritual lives.  but instead he put the name and face of a homosexual to it, which in turn fueled hate crimes and homophobia.  that is hardly a reflection of the love of God or of Christ's teaching to love and forgive one another at all costs.

if i am wrong, i do not mean to offend, and i ask that you forgive me.  i saw this on tv, and we all know how the media distorts the truth.

in any case, i am happy that you found a place that will be conducive to your spiritual life.  i hope you're really happy there. 

although the school i plan to attend is nothing like LU, i will not worry.  i plan to be in the world but not of it.  i misbehave every now and then (a slip of the tongue at most), but i'm not going to let anything interfere with my relationship with God.  Thou I walk in the valley of shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me.

johnnycash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 10:03:13 PM »
I dont go to Liberty, you wounldn't because of the same reasons you listed.

The conservative Christian movement has done a lot of damage to this great nation of ours, and a hell of a lot of damage to God's word and the true message of Jesus.  My fear is that this will be a training ground for future lawyers trying to amend the Constitution to keep gays from marrying (as if heterosexual infidelity is not undermining the sanctity of marriage) and doing their best to overturn Roe v. Wade instead of fighting for the education and prevention efforts to keep unwanted pregnancies from occurring in the first place.

People don't like to claim knee-jerk hatred for certain groups, but it's their dishonesty that entertains me most. Christians shouldn't try to be politically involved, becasue appartently only every other special interest group should lobby and support politicans. This is the basic push: Christians should stop trying to ban abortion and gay marriage, and help make everybody happy by passing out planned parenthood brouchers and accept the homosexual lifestyle ( or in a few less words: stop being Christian ). It would be a lot better if they just came out and said they dislike Christianity and stopped faking tolerance and understanding.

liberty shark

• Sr. Citizen
  • awesome.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - libertyshark
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 11:12:03 PM »
amazing, i was just browsing the boards, and i come across a thread dedicated to my greatness, i am truly honored.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=libertyshark

They deal with morals as with mathematics;
and they think what is right may be
distinguished from what is wrong with the
precision of an algebraic equation.

-Daniel Webster

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 11:58:29 PM »
It is truly great to bask in your greatness liberty shark.  Praise be to the shark, god of the opinion, sole possessor of all that is sarcasm, source of all ideas and points of view.  Amen.
3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

Last-minute-guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 02:35:06 PM »
I agree with seu2002.  I'm a Christian too.  I just don't like to judge, because I don't feel like it is my place to do so.  I also feel that Christians should get involved in the political process, but not ally themselves with any particular party, like what is going on now.  The Republican party stands for a whole lot of things completely contrary to Christianity, so my take is that Christians should use the teachings of Jesus to guide them in decision-making and to influence others in a more issue-by-issue basis.  Passing laws that restrict people's freedoms are not a great way to spread the gospel.  Rather, showing what a relationship with Jesus has to offer is much more effective.  As it says in Romans, we all fall short of the glory of God.  We can't achieve salvation on our own.  Bringing people to Jesus, regardless of what you think of their lifestyle is the way to go.  Let him or her sort it out from there, because that's not our job.  I know this is probably an odd post on a law school discussion board, but hey, it's relevant to the topic.  There are definitely Christian bashers and there are definitely those who want to know Christ but are turned off by the Christians that they know or hear on TV.  We can't assume that they all hate us and are just being PC for tolerance-sake.  Anyway, my 2 cents.
Shooting for Fall '05 after taking the Dec LSAT

johnnycash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 05:01:48 PM »
Why do practicing Christians vote Republican?

Could an overtly Christians candidate from the South be elected as a Democrat at this present time in this country?

No, because the Democratic Party is far more hostile to Christianity than the Republican Party.

That's why the vast majority of practicing Christians vote Republican.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 02:30:10 AM »
Well I am a Christian, and I can honestly say that I would not go to Liberty even if paid.  I grew up 30 minutes from Liberty, and I had friends who attended.  While some thought it was okay, I had two friends who had to leave due to harrassment.  Apparently once her fellow students found out she tolerated homosexuals it was all over.  I can respect the fact that they are trying to build a University with character and produce outstanding citizens.  Having seen what the university is capable of, i advice anyone to stay away.