Law School Discussion

Penn

mattb23

Re: Penn
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2005, 07:22:20 PM »
I got in by way of e-mail today also.  3.73/172.  I'm excited because of I'm originally from the area, and it would allow me to move back close to my family and friends.  It's also a very good school.

Congrats Ninja--for me, the biggest appeal of Penn was the comfort of going back to a place I know and love. I'm also attracted to the relatively low-key atmosphere (which, according to my frat brothers who went on to the law school, really exists--but they're not the most random sample ever). I kind of have a tendency to subconsciously protect myself against disappointment--so I had basically convinced myself that I was better off trying out a new city/region. But having been accepted, I'm feeling awfully pumped about Penn, much more than I anticipated.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2005, 08:07:55 PM »
congrats to all the acceptance!!!

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2005, 05:22:42 AM »
i'll add my congrats as well. Penn seems to be strange...it deferred people from EA who looked like auto admits by their numbers. they deferred 7 people on LSN who had a 175/3.7 or higher. perhaps they are going for that mysterious "whole person".

dreamer1

• CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2005, 08:31:49 AM »
i'll add my congrats as well. Penn seems to be strange...it deferred people from EA who looked like auto admits by their numbers. they deferred 7 people on LSN who had a 175/3.7 or higher. perhaps they are going for that mysterious "whole person".

Yeah, it's a mystery this year. When I did my LSN graph, I was smack in between a whole bunch of acceptances and deferrals. They deferred people with higher stats than the people they have accepted, but not significantly higher to explain a yield protection plan. So, I am just confused.

I am sitting here, waiting and studying LSN...By the way, today is my official 4 weeks since completion b-day. 2-4 weeks more to go....

There is a high likelihood that I would love them back if they loved me....

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2005, 09:56:51 AM »
Congratulations to all of you!!

jayhawk

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2005, 09:57:54 AM »

i'm confused about this too.  since my numbers are pretty high for penn (3.9, 175) i kind of expected to be rejected, because of this yield protection theory.  so i'm wondering, should i take it as an insult that i got into penn with high numbers?  they didn't send me a yield-protection rejection because they don't think i'll get into somewhere better?   i don't think that is the case, but it kind of made me wonder   :-\

AMB22

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2005, 10:41:31 AM »
I think if they were going for yield protection they would WL someone instead of rejecting them. That way it doesnt hurt their acceptance rate but if the person actually wants to go, they'll probably show interest and get in and then Penn gets someone they would love to have.

i'm confused about this too.  since my numbers are pretty high for penn (3.9, 175) i kind of expected to be rejected, because of this yield protection theory.  so i'm wondering, should i take it as an insult that i got into penn with high numbers?  they didn't send me a yield-protection rejection because they don't think i'll get into somewhere better?   i don't think that is the case, but it kind of made me wonder   :-\

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2005, 10:48:33 AM »

There is a high likelihood that I would love them back if they loved me....

There is a 100% likelihood that I would love them back if they loved me...

Someone on LSN who appears to be my numbers twin and non-URM got in yesterday so I'm trying to stay hopeful.

jayhawk

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2005, 10:57:08 AM »
I think if they were going for yield protection they would WL someone instead of rejecting them. That way it doesnt hurt their acceptance rate but if the person actually wants to go, they'll probably show interest and get in and then Penn gets someone they would love to have.

i agree with you.  in fact, i have argued the same thing on at least two different threads about yield protection.  i still have to wonder why other people with my numbers were waitlisted and i was accepted...

foxnewssucks

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2005, 10:58:56 AM »
hey i got in too, is this really a diss?  ;)  If only I can get dissed like this some more.