Law School Discussion

Follow up email for a rare treat.

twarga

Re: Follow up email for a rare treat.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 09:29:53 AM »
It's refreshing to see some honest to goodness butt-kissing going on around here!  Go THalky!  It looked like a good letter to me, and I agree with the comments the others made.  Furthermore, I would change, "I currently reside, hopefully temporarily, on the preferred waitlist" to "I am currently on the preferred waitlist."  It sounds less desperate.  

NYKnicks

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 09:33:49 AM »
I like what you have there, but I'd beef it up a bit after you attend the Oral Arguments thing. Also, try to sneak in a few other things you like about the school if you can. Overall it sounds genuine, and I think everybody else covered anything else I wanted to say.

NYC

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 09:52:01 AM »
Maybe instead of "attending law school" say "attending Georgetown.."

Last line - typo:  "allowing ME to observe"

kristay

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 10:09:49 AM »
I have a friend that's a 1L at GULC and I am going to watch his oral arguments tonight.

"friend"?  ;)

sejul

• I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »
I think you're a brown-noser.

;)

Go Tatertot!

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 10:40:24 AM »
Thanks all,
I fixed that typo, and I think I have spelling errors.

I'll add specifics tomorrow.

DannyJunior

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 03:36:07 PM »
It sounds awkward, kinda clunky.

Try writing like you would speak. It will sound more genuine and make a better impression. Succint, brief, and brown-nosed  8)

fabdiva

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 10:32:10 AM »
THalky,

Just some minors recs, in line with what others have said: correct typos (privilege, thoroughly) and eliminate some wordiness such as "cemented my decision to consider" (perhaps just "cemented Georgetown as my top choice"). "Education process" is also clunky and ungrammatical ("educational process" isn't much better but at least it's grammatically correct).

Best of luck...

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 10:48:59 AM »
OK. I'm bored so here are my dos pesos.

Don't mention anything about your being on the waitlist or your continued interest in the school. Just sincerely thank them for the experience. They'll figure out that you're an applicant. 

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005, 08:55:19 PM »
Have you been on GMU's discussion board? The letter sounds like something you would send to Dean Richard (she has that playful personality and is not too keen on formality). I never had email correspondence with Andy Cornblatt, but I have heard from last years LSN board that he acts jokingly with admitted students via email. Overall I think the letter looks good...you might want to make specific reference about what impressed you about the oral argument (ie I thought he/she made a valid point when he/she made a reference to XYZ, students at GULC are obviously trained well in ABC, after viewing said student in the oral argument made me realize that GULC will help me attain my goal in blah, blah, blah). I think any specific reference to what was going on the in the oral argument will look a bit more sincere. But I do agree with the other posters regarding the brevity of this email....GULC won't want to decipher through yet another PS type paper, however it is important to remain on GULC's "top of mind awareness" (gotta love Marketing 101  ;))since that is a major component of any movement on a waitlist. Whatever you send, I am sure it will help you at GULC....you did get on the priority waitlist.