Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diversity is a great thing!  (Read 1294 times)

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
Diversity is a great thing!
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:01:30 AM »
Why are you all being so negative? Diversity efforts should be expanded not reduced!

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Diversity is a great thing!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 08:59:36 AM »
Because grasshopper, people fear what they do not understand, and hate what they will not accept.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 03:00:25 PM »
OK, this has nothing to do with AA, just diversity in general.

I grew up in an almost completely white suburban neighborhood, outside of a majority African American city. The whole area was then (in the 70s and 80s) highly racially segregated. I always had the impression that most blacks resented and disliked whites and did not really want whites around, and that we were seperate not because whites were racist (my parents & teachers were always repeating that "everyone is created equal") but because blacks were, essentially, avoiding us whites. I just had the feeling that it would be difficult, and possibly dangerous, to be a white minority in a majority black situation, because it was my impression that blacks were, in general, hostile to whites.

Over the past 7 years, I have been living in racially mixed neigborhoods, and now live in a majority black one. I came home from a neighborhood meeting a year or so ago, and was talking to a white neighbor about our experiences being in the racial minority, and I said something about how nice (black) people in the neighborhood are. Most of my neighbors are cool people; we have things in common, they are enjoyable to talk to, I like them. And then, with some shame, I realized that this SUPRIZED me. I mean, I realized how limited my mindset was, and how the false ideas I grew up with served to perpetuate and justify segregation. And it kind of blew my mind.

There are some neighbors I don't like, and some things in this neighborhood that give me grief. But the diversity here has allowed me to learn and unlearn a lot, and I value that. So, I agree -- diversity is a great thing. :)
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 03:09:52 PM »
Yeah Ang,

I read a lot of posts from people on the board who seem to have a lot of opinions about black people in general that make me wonder just how many black people they know.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:04:40 AM »
People fear what they do not understand, but when you do understand then I think that a lot can be accomplished.

I have been fortunate that I grew up in an ethnically diverse neighborhood. Black, White, Latin, Asian. My circle of friends has always been mixed.
So much so that now, any non-mixed group of people makes me feel uncomfortable. All white, all black, all asian, all latin makes me wonder what their problem is.
So I guess that I am prejudiced against non-diversity. Either peeps are down for it, or not. Either stand tall or sit the f*** down.

I think that most people want diversity. You just have to get over the initial discomfort with being in an uncertain environment. If you were to remove any one element all the rest would fall apart. My parents raised me to beleive that this is what makes America great. But it is ignorance that weakens us all.

I would be so much less without my experiences with diversity. I would be so much smaller as a human if I weren't down from day one.  :D

Race is complete BS. Forgive me for an old bromide, but there is only one race which is comprised of many cultures. You have to learn, appreciate, and honor them all. 
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

walty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 01:55:42 PM »
Why are you all being so negative? Diversity efforts should be expanded not reduced!

I think that most people want diversity. You just have to get over the initial discomfort with being in an uncertain environment.

I agree that most people want diversity but I think many of the people who have issues with AA don't have issues with being in a diverse school, they just think their seat has been taken by someone they view as less qualified; although on this board there are some extreme and hate-filled people who are the exceptions. I think the people with general diversity hangups really can't be cured but things can be done to improve the system so there are less complaints by those who feel their seats are being taken by less qualified applicants.
3.5/173
In: GMU(declned), BYU(declined), Notre Dame(22K Deposit down), UVa(off wait list)
Out: Stanford, Harvard
WL: Columbia, USC, UCLA, GULC, NYU, Chicago