Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Regent - awesome or sucky?  (Read 9545 times)

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
Re: Regent - awesome or sucky?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 02:33:23 PM »
OK got the point!  I'll tell her to stay far far away from Evangelical anything  Thanks for the help everyone!

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 03:21:25 PM »
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 04:27:54 PM »
She hasn't taken LSAT yet, but either way - no point closing doors for yourself by attending a school by and for Evangelicals.  If she likes the Christian perspective, she can take a Christian law class at a secular institution. 

elf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 04:35:29 PM »
I don't know that there would be an appropriate "Christian law" class at a secular institution.  However, the Christian Legal Society, which is an evangelical group, has chapters at many law schools. 

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »
yeah..whatever.. to each his own.  I really see no benefit of doing Christian law studies.  It seems about as useful as doing Muslim law or Hebrew Law..  What the heck's the point?  The law of the land was still secular, though that might change in the next 4 years.

Thou

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 05:54:35 PM »
Law is surprisingly false tolerant.

2004-2012, Thou

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 05:56:08 PM »
yeah..whatever.. to each his own.  I really see no benefit of doing Christian law studies.  It seems about as useful as doing Muslim law or Hebrew Law..  What the heck's the point?  The law of the land was still secular, though that might change in the next 4 years.

The US Constitution was drafted by men who, for the most part, believed in God, and believed that our rights were God-given and could not be taken away or diminished by mortal men.  There is a very strong Christian element in the laws of our country.

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 06:44:26 PM »
I've been accepted @ Regent, and see it as a safety school. I personally like the idea of law from a Christian perspective, but I'm not sure about being at ANY school so closely associated with a person as opposed to a denomination, etc. Hopefully I get some love from other schools and don't have to go there.... the waiting sucks as I think everyone would agree. :)

What your friend might consider is something I'm thinking about. I'd be interested in taking some Christian foundations of law courses or something like that, so I may spend a summer there taking a class or two. I'd like the perspective of Regent but not the reputation.

My two yen.

plumbert

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 07:03:33 PM »
It is hard for me to understand why anyone contemplating law school would consider a fourth-tier school with the second-lowest bar passage rate in the nation, low reputation scores, and truly pitiful starting salary averages only because it is associated with Pat Robertson. If one seeks to advance the Christian cause via law school, I still don't see any advantage to attending a bottom-of-the-barrel school that a similar, but higher-ranked school (such as Pepperdine) would not match or exceed. Pepperdine is an overtly Christian law school with *far* superior bar passage rates and a much better reputation among peers and judges.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 07:07:17 PM »
I still don't understand why people need to advance the Christian cause.  It kind of scares me honestly.