Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: Printers?  (Read 853 times)

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Printers?
« on: June 10, 2004, 03:12:20 PM »
I am very interested in this subject.  I have a laptop and plan on buying a printer within the next month.  Best Buy has some nice all-in-one ink printers (with copier/scanner/fax built in).  They run for $100 and the ink is only $20 each.  They also have an all-in-one laser printer but it costs $170 and the replacement toner for it is $80.

Given this information.  Here are the ups and downs, and I would love advice, or what other people are buying for school.

Advantages for the ink all-in-one printer:
1. $80 cheaper for the printer
2. $60 cheaper per ink refill
3. fax capability

Advantages for the laser all-in-one printer:
1. The pages print "dry" - this means if I went to highlight them right after they printed (or even hours later) the ink wouldnt get on my highlighters nor smear on the paper.
2. Laser printing is more "professional" and "prefered" by Professors.
3. Even though the initial cost is higher on the laser printer, in the long-run, it would be cheaper because the toner lasts much longer than ink cartridges.

Thoughts / Comments?

Ryan
Heading to Hofstra in 2 Months!

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 03:18:48 PM »
I would suggest watching ebay.  If you can nab an HP of any kind, you'd be in the money.  We have about 60 or so here at work and they are work horses.  They rarely ever jam up or break down.  Their toner is not expensive and the print quality is great.  Go for it.  You can get a used one for $60 or so.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 01:26:48 PM »
HP's are the best, hands down. And avoid Lexmark at all costs.

I would say get a cheap(well, the cheapest you can find anyways) HP laser printer.  You'll probably be printing a lot of cases, etc. for class, and laser printers go faster, the printing is easier on the eyes, and like you said, it prints "dry" so no smudging.

If however you're gonna want to print photos or lots of fancy graphics and pictures (can't imagine why, in law school), get an inkjet.

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 04:22:40 PM »
I wouldn't need color for anything, like pictures, but a cheap plain inkjet printer is as low as $20-30 new!  The "cheapest" laser would run $170-200.  So I am just doing a cost/benefit analysis I guess at the moment...