Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I mention stuttering in my app??  (Read 639 times)

bob_marino

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I mention stuttering in my app??
« on: February 08, 2005, 03:08:37 AM »
Well, yep, I stutter and I want to go to law school.  It;s not nearly as bad as it used to be and while it's still clearly noticeable, it does not significantly impair my communcation as it used to in the past when it would often take me 1 minute to get a sentence out.
  Should I mention this at all the schools I apply to?  Do you think it might even give me an advantage at somewhere like Berkeley where they encourage diversity and such? Is this really a diversity factor?
  On the other hand, somewhere highly conservative like UVA, would it be a bad thing to mention?  Any input greatly appreciated...........

twarga

Re: Should I mention stuttering in my app??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 07:19:49 AM »
I wouldn't.  Only because when I was cross-training into the JAG dept. as a paralegal, besides the typing test and interview with the SJA, one of the factors which determined whether one could get in was the ability to communicate well orally.  A speech impediment would have precluded me from becoming a JAG paralegal, and I think law schools might look unfavorably on it, as well (think Socratic method, moot court, etc.).

If you had completely overcome the stuttering, that would be one thing, but since it is still quite noticable, my opinion is that it will only hurt you.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Re: Should I mention stuttering in my app??
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 09:41:50 AM »
not if you plan on doing mock trial ;)
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive