Law School Discussion

Out of school for 2 years...

ilsox7

Re: Out of school for 2 years...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 09:34:32 PM »
Darn it, if only I had thought about law school when I went to undergrad, I would've done some relationship building back then!  arghhhhhh   :-\

Worry about what you can control.  Sounds like you still have the LSAT ahead of you?  Nail it and nothing else matters.  Good luck!

lyrehc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 09:36:58 PM »
Dwinelle, Wheeler, all that good stuff... hehe

Yup, still have the LSAT in June.  As I type I'm staring at the logical reasoning bible.  How lovely...

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 09:38:04 PM »
I am really new to this whole law school thing...  Didn't seriously consider it until a few months earlier.  But since I work in tax, and deal with tax law everyday, I thought that might give me an advantage in terms of showing my interest & experience with the law... maybe?  what do you guys think?  

yeah, that sounds awesome.  definitely get that.  WITH the academic letter, if at all possible.  even if you haven't kept in touch, take a day off from work to go revisit them in office hours, make an appt so you know they'll have time set aside for you, take any and all the work you did in their class, and hopefully that'll trigger their memory.  ilsox mentioned TAs; from what i hear, schools don't mind if your letter is from a TA.  they understand that sometimes the TA knows you better than the professor.  so maybe the TA will write you a letter, and maybe even write it *for* the professor (so the professor would sign his/her own name on it).

put yourself in an adcomm's shoes: wouldn't you want to know about the applicant's ACADEMIC capabilities, since it's a law SCHOOL?  the professional recs are hugely important when applying for a job, but the academic recs are more important when apply for schools.

and to reiterate what others said: numbers are more important, so nail that LSAT.  good luck!

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 10:07:19 PM »
You definitely at least one academic LOR. If your profs don't particularly remember you send them a couple of papers that you wrote for the class and remind them of some of the things that you did while in the class. One of my profs that I didn't talk to post graduation wrote a great letter for me. I told him where I sat in class, pointed out that I was the only bleeding heart liberal in the class, and described some of my papers. That was enough to jog his memory and I got a great rec.

After getting that one academic LOR, I think it's fine to get the rest from work, especially if that's the field you want to study.

Two years isn't that long to be out of school, I think AdComms would be suspicious if you didn't have any academic LORs. If you've been out 5-10 years, they don't care at all. (I asked specifically where the cutoff was since I've been out 4 years.)

lyrehc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 05:50:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update and thank everyone's gentle encouragement to get a LOR from my professors.  After reading everyone's comments, I panicked and emailed one of my professors.  He happily agreed to be my reference for law school!... but he wants me to write the letter... any idea where to start?

Thanks guys!

kristay

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 06:32:09 PM »
Yup, that's how I feel bratzwest.  I went to UC Berkeley, lectures with over 400 people were common. It was just so much easier for me to go home and study myself rather than stand in long lines at office hours to speak to a professor for 15 minutes before getting kicked out by other students.

Wow, people actually attended office hours at your school?  It seemed like profs were usually begging students to come to their office hours at my school (with the exception of dead week)...I would go just to say hi and end up just hanging out and talking to some of them b/c no one else would stop by while I was there.  I had one professor who literally said "I have office hours...I don't do anything in office hours except sit in my office, eating trail mix, wondering if anyone will actually stop by before week 9."

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 12:17:22 AM »
been out of undergrad since '03.  had no intentions of going to LS.  i went to UF.  first 3 years there were 1,000 people in my classes of which most were on TV or on the web.  senior year i took computer science classes with guys that barely spoke english.  i figured screw it i'll just get an employer and a head of a volunteer org. that i spend a lot of time on. 

i'm thinking that i maybe should get an LOR from a teacher but it may just be too late.  oh well...

zakrob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »
I commuted and worked full time while in school, so I never really took the time to get to know any of my profs, or even TAs for that matter. I've also been out of undergrad for 4 years. Both of my lor are from profs I had in my teaching credential program at a state school. I worry that they won't carry as much weight becuase the credential program is not as academically "rigorous" as a BA, but at least I know that my recs are from people who know me well. And I figured they are of a more academic nature than getting lor from employers.

ryanjm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 06:09:52 PM »
I never thought it was a good idea to go to the prof's office hours unless I needed help, and I never did, so I didn't get to know any of them either. I guess I'll end up writing my own and getting a professor to sign off on it.

spit

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2005, 07:06:14 PM »
the same sh*t happened to me too. went to a UC, out for 2.5 years. didn't know ANY of my profs. i had two TA's gladly volunteer (the prof can also sign those to add more cred) and 1 prof who didn't even know me. just ask, and you shall receive. granted you might feel like a giant D I L D O for asking those who deny you, but you'll get at least one, and that's all you need. GOOD LUCK!!