Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any applicants with kids, pls help.......  (Read 1081 times)

kterrious

Any applicants with kids, pls help.......
« on: February 07, 2005, 02:30:28 PM »
OK, I've really put myself in a bad position.  Basically, b/c of the difference in my LSAT scores from Oct. To Dec., I wasn't able to turn in my apps as early as I wanted to and so I have no decisions right now. I have 2 stepchildren in private school here and now the private school application deadlines for the cities where we'd be moving are all this week and I still have no idea where I will be accepted.
  Yes, I can just have my wife turn in a bunch of apps but A. it's expensive to apply, and their biological father is required to pay their tuition but not application fees  B.  They require all sorts of absurd things like evaluations by psychologists who then need to call the school psychologists and tests that need to be taken in their state, I mean really absurd stuff.

How can I handle this?  I already called all the admissions offices and asked if they could give me some more specific idea on when I'll have a decision or what it will be, and none would help. Do any schools have arrangments whereby these private schools will give special consideration to the kids of newly admitted law students?  I'm so stressed out I'm thinking about just dropping the whole law school thing.  I have a baby on the way (my first biological) and my wife is telling me now that she wants me to go ahead and do my first yr of law school alone while she stays in our current home city so her kids can stay in school until she can get them into a private school next yr...I'd be missing my first child's entire first yr of life....any help would be immensely apprecicated

limonjello

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
Re: Any applicants with kids, pls help.......
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 02:58:15 PM »
I don't know that you need to trash the whole law school idea, but it sounds like you would be most well-served by postponing your start for one year.  You can then do the EA/ED cycle PLUS I would highly advise avoiding a newborn lifestyle your 1L year. 

I have two kids and wouldn't trade missing a year with them for the world, so I really think that unless there is something that makes it essential to start this year that you should just postpone.  Might be much nicer for your family as well to have more time to prepare for such an immense life change (outside of a parental split/death, which it sound like they already have experienced, there is little more upsetting to a child than moving).  Many schools will even let you just defer your acceptance one year, so you might not even have to deal with the whole app scene again (but no guarantees on that one).

May not be what you want to hear, but it might really reduce the stress in your life to consider it.  hth.

mxpocc

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 03:03:57 PM »
are the public schools THAT bad where you're applying for law school?
is homeschool and/or public school an option for that first year only?

also, given the rigors and amount of time it takes to be SUCCESSFUL in law school, you'll be missing your child's first year in life regardless. Maybe 1yr there by yourself would be a good way to adjust

I have a family--a 6month year old and my wife--and we're prepared to not have much "quality time" together once law school starts. You should be prepared for that, too.

dcdjr23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 10:13:10 AM »
I agree with waiting for a year if it's possible.  I've already been accepted to a couple of schools and pretty much know where I want to go, but am considering deferring for 1 year anyway. 

Even though I know where I want to live, I still have to go through the process of selling my house, trying to find a new job or transfer with my company(will work FT and go to LS PT), relocate to a new city, etc.  I have kids also, and that means at a minimum that I only have a 2 month window during which I can move (have to wait til they're at of school).

The fact is that non traditional students in our situation have multiple factors that we have to juggle to make this law school thing a success.  If deferring for 1 year allows me to enter law school with significantly less stress, then so be it.  I can always fill that time following the study plan in Planet Law School II and doing other prep work that might help offset some of the disadvantage of having to work FT and not being able to devote as much time to studying.

In the end, you will make the decision that's best for your family.  Good luck to you!
Attending: SMU  :=)

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 10:23:03 AM »
Whoa. Your plate is really full right now. As a parent of teenagers and little ones, I'd say waiting a year might be the best thing to do. (I will have waited two years from the time I decided to go to Law School until actual matriculation - 18 years after UG graduation.)

Dano

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 10:41:51 AM »
Have you thought about Montessori schools in the other cities?  Some of them might not be as stringent about application deadlines, etc.

Of course, all of the years are precious.  Personally, if forced to choose, I'd rather miss more of my child's first year than the second year.  The second year is much more interesting since they are learning to walk and babble.  The first year is mostly sleeping, pooping, and eating.

I'd be inclined to do law school now in your situation.  Maybe your kids and wife could meet you in January?

wink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 10:55:08 AM »
Your wife has the best idea.  Altho spending the first year alone with baby makes her a saint.  I think you want to create as little upheaval as possible. I have a kid in private school too.  One of the reasons I might go to a somewhat less prestigious university (if I get accepted) is to prevent him having to move schools. I don't see how deferring for a year helps that much.  Maybe a part-time program.  Hopefully you would go somewhere fairly close to home.

JoAnna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 07:11:44 PM »
I always say "strike while the iron is hot." You have the passion and inclination to do law school now; there are no guarantees that it will be any easier or you'll be any more ready a year from now. I think your wife has the right idea - doing the first year alone may not be a bad thing. And don't forget, this isn't even a WHOLE year! You'll have a Christmas break, a spring break (which I realize is not really a break), and then the entire summer. I also agree with the poster who said that "missing" the early years is probably more ideal. Just think about it: they say that the second year is so much better, and that's when your little one will start doing all of the really cool things!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

twarga

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 06:40:49 AM »
As long as your wife has a good support system in place (mother, sister, etc.), and she wants you to go, I think you should.  The military has sent both hubby and me TDY for extended periods, and neither of us cracked under the pressure.  This way, your family has an entire year to prepare for the move.

alkiremays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 01:59:52 PM »
I say defer it for a year.  Let's face it - we've all put this off for one thing or another.  Wouldn't you say the best possible reason for putting it off is the experiencing the first year of your child's life?  I'm hearing that a lot of schools will allow you to defer a year if you do get in.