Law School Discussion

Personal statement Length--Is it okay to go over what the apps ask for?

inla

If a school says a statement in a page or two, or two pages max...but nothing about spacing and margins....or font size...do you think it would be okay to single space 1.0 space it, with.05 margins, and 11.5 font?  Are there any hard rules about this.

Thanks, Inla.

AubZamZam

Re: Personal statement Length--Is it okay to go over what the apps ask for?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 06:50:19 PM »
I think that's pushing it.  11.5 font isn't so bad, but it should always be double spaced.  And probably have at least 1 inch margins.

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 06:50:40 PM »
I wouldn't drop below .75" margins at the very very most if you're gonna single/11.5 it.  Don't go over the limit...if you're gonna get funky with margins and font especially.

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 06:54:56 PM »
I was a big proponent of single spacing in December, and my first 5 apps went out with a PS as such.  But after some convincing by people on LSD, I chopped my PS by 1/3 or so and made it 2 pages, double spaced.  I didn't lose any content that was crucial and it read so much better and I think the adcomms will like it better, so I am now a proponent of 2 pages, double spaced, no matter what.

inla

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 07:16:24 PM »
This is confusing because some schools explicity(spelling?) say like UCLA--max 3 pages, double space...

But some schools says in a "page or two", but no other info and some specify no length.