Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is vanderbilt snobby?  (Read 6636 times)

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is vanderbilt snobby?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 06:42:59 PM »
Sorry, I fear I don't understand what you're saying. In their recruitment brochure this year, they list plenty of firms from all over the US that are scheduled for on-campus recruiting. Probably 90% of these don't even have offices in Alabama. And if the overlap is internships, as you're saying, aren't most people end up working where they interned after 2L?

What I'm seeing is that plenty of Vandy people end up at big firms in major cities (as evidenced on martindale, firm websites etc.) and that Leiter rankes it 17th for getting these kind of jobs. No offense, I guess I'm just too stupid, but your post makes no sense to me.

Lulu

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 09:48:12 PM »
Sorry, I fear I don't understand what you're saying. In their recruitment brochure this year, they list plenty of firms from all over the US that are scheduled for on-campus recruiting. Probably 90% of these don't even have offices in Alabama. And if the overlap is internships, as you're saying, aren't most people end up working where they interned after 2L?

What I'm seeing is that plenty of Vandy people end up at big firms in major cities (as evidenced on martindale, firm websites etc.) and that Leiter rankes it 17th for getting these kind of jobs. No offense, I guess I'm just too stupid, but your post makes no sense to me.

Like I said before, I'm an undergrad but I know a LOT of law students. My impression from my friends is that you can pretty much get a job anywhere. Yes, you may have to do a bit of legwork on your own-- as you would at many top 20 but not top top schools in major markets-- but everyone seems pretty happy overrall. I know a lot of people stay in the south, but that seems to mostly be self-selection- kids who want to go back home to work after they graduate.

As far as teacher quality, it's my understanding the teachers are great. In fact, I have a law professor right now for one of my classes, and he's an awesome teacher.

No offense to the vandy person, but it sounds to me like someone who's not doing too hot in school and is just upset. Everyone else I've talked to loves it here.

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 09:30:58 AM »

Like I said before, I'm an undergrad but I know a LOT of law students. My impression from my friends is that you can pretty much get a job anywhere. Yes, you may have to do a bit of legwork on your own-- as you would at many top 20 but not top top schools in major markets-- but everyone seems pretty happy overrall. I know a lot of people stay in the south, but that seems to mostly be self-selection- kids who want to go back home to work after they graduate.

As far as teacher quality, it's my understanding the teachers are great. In fact, I have a law professor right now for one of my classes, and he's an awesome teacher.

No offense to the vandy person, but it sounds to me like someone who's not doing too hot in school and is just upset. Everyone else I've talked to loves it here.

That is more along the lines of what I read everywhere. Very cool to hear you got a good teacher. I think I'll visit and find out what's the real real with the school.

dirty_south

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2005, 04:57:12 PM »
I am a Vandy 1L, and my experience couldn't be more different then that other guy's.  Vandy is awesome.  Everyone is super nice, and we have some of the best teachers in the country.  All of the professors have an open door policy and are willing to spend time with you to make sure that you understand the material. 

As for jobs, people get jobs all over the country.  For 2L OCI, we get over 500 firms from everywhere.  1L OCI did have a lot of firms from AL and TN, but there were also firms from TX, NC, SC, GA, MO, IL and one DC firm.  I know 1L's who have gotten firm jobs from all over.

That other guy's opinion is not at all indicative of the feelings of the vast majority of vanderbilt law students.

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2005, 05:39:02 PM »
Very cool to hear.  :)