Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is vanderbilt snobby?  (Read 6414 times)

CaressMyEgo

• View Profile
Re: Is vanderbilt snobby?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 01:08:34 PM »
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't VANDY in nashville?  how snobby can it be?

Tristana

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 12:12:52 PM »
I am a Ph.D. student at Vanderbilt (planning to switch to law school) and so I have to teach a class every semester. All my students have been very nice and down-to-earth. Although you will see some that really dress up, most of the students are casual, and the ones that dress up do not come across as snobby. I also deal with undergrads as a member of a club, and they are all really nice people and we have become good friends despite the age difference. I really love it here and definitely hope to stay and continue my education at Vandy Law. As for the Law School, my BF went there are he always says, "I have nothing bad to say about Vandy Law." I also know some current and former law students, and all of them are really nice people. Hope this helps!

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 01:47:57 PM »
not to mention, having classes with girls that look like Katheryn....it can't be a bad place!

HAHA!  No kidding, if my prof looked like her I'd be ridiculously nice to her.  I don't think she is a fair and balanced judge!!

rcjackson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 01:13:54 AM »
Wow, my one chance in life to be helpful, and I can't really be all that helpful.  I'm a 1L at Vandy right now.  As for "Chet", there's no one like that at Vandy.  The people that go to the forums and off-campus recruiting are not very indicative of the school because it is their job is to not ever be at the school.  I've never seen either of the guys that were at the forum I went to.  The only time you will see anyone wearing a tie or even suit pants and a nice shirt is if they have an on campus interview.  Otherwise, I'd say standard Vandy dress for guys is t-shirt or casual polo shirt, khaki's and flip flops (even in the dead of winter)  Girls aren't much different.

That said, it depends on what you mean by snobby.  If your goal in law school is to get a good job, and you don't care where it is or how many hours you work, so long as it pays well...Vandy is the school for you.  If you are going to law school to learn, Vandy is not the place for you.  Legal writing is set up like a correspondence course- read, look at a powerpoint, and get graded without ever knowing if you are doing anything remotely correct.  All of the other 1L courses are set up so that class time is soley to fill classrooms, and then you plunk down $35 for a hornbook the last week of school to actually learn.  For not being very published, you'd think the prof's would be chosen for their teaching ability. They are not.

What's this have to do with snobbiness?  If you don't completely buy into the above described scene, and have the gall to ask an administrator to help you figure out how to make it work for you, the administrator will immediately tell you to shut it, but not as quickly as your fellow students will.  If you consider 'snobby' to include people that don't want to get an education because they are afraid that mentioning that they aren't getting one will interfere with their prospects of working 80 hours a week in Alabama with 300 other people just like them, yes, Vandy is VERY snobby.  But, if you just mean, are the people friendly, and will give you notes if you miss class, and people basically get along and actually cross clique barriers, Vandy is not snobby at all.  It just depends on what you want out of law school.

Lulu

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 01:20:50 AM »
Can only speak for undergrad--
there is a high percentage of very, VERY rich people here. But everyone is really nice nonetheless, and they don't look down on you if you're not loaded. I'd imagine the law school would have even less of a snobby population, if anything because the undergrad scene seems to be the one dominated by the trust fund babies. I love it here though and seriously considered staying for law school (until they didn't sent me a fee waiver and pissed me off)

HaileyCat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 12:51:10 PM »
rcjackson ,

Do you feel that you will not get a good job out of Vanderbilt anywhere other than Alabama?

Also, from what I understand about law school, you do not learn law in the classroom, so I wonder how this makes Vanderbilt any different?

If you don’t mind my asking, why did you choose to go there?  You seem to have distaste for the place.  Do you think you really would have been happier at another school?

johnstfm

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 01:00:39 PM »
I am a Vanderbilt alum. I received my B.S. and M.Ed. there in 2001 and 2003 respectively.  I feel pretty confident that I can voice an accurate opinion both as a former undergraduate student and graduate student.  The school is "preppy" and there is certainly plenty of rich students but there are also those who are simply average trying to get a good education.  Vanderbilt undergrad is a different experience from the graduate schools.  The greek system really permeates the undergraduate student body and that has a profound affect on the pulse of the campus.  The graduate schools kinda do their own thing.  And while you will certainly see the undergraduates, their Vanderbilt is a little different from what yours will be.
Undergrad GPA: 3.14
LSAT: 151
B.S. & M.Ed. Vanderbilt University (2001 & 2003)
Work Experience:  5 years as a police officer; 1 year as a middle school teacher
ATTENDING: Charleston School of Law (2nd year part-time student)

rcjackson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 04:46:59 PM »
rcjackson ,

Do you feel that you will not get a good job out of Vanderbilt anywhere other than Alabama?

Also, from what I understand about law school, you do not learn law in the classroom, so I wonder how this makes Vanderbilt any different?

If you donít mind my asking, why did you choose to go there?  You seem to have distaste for the place.  Do you think you really would have been happier at another school?

The comment about Alabama was rooted in this- and it's something to keep in mind at every school- when I applied, admissions talked about where we can get jobs, and what firms hire, what firms interview on-campus, and that students get summer internships with certain firms.  They talk about it all as one in the same, but really the only overlap is on-campus interviews and internships.  Where you can get a job is pretty unlimited, but I have not met anyone who has gotten a job outside of Alabama or Nashville who didn't get it through self-effort or connections they had anyway.  And be cautious when a school lists all the places students get hired.  They may list a firm in London or NYC, but if that firm also has an office in Mobile, one guess where you will be interviewing for.

I picked Vandy for one reason only- I thought I would get a superior education there.  It's more laid back than many of the higher ranked schools, and it's more prestigious than many of the lower ones.  My distaste is sheer disappointment.  In the quality of education and the job-hungry apathy of the students. I had higher expectations for the quality of the school, based on my experience at several different colleges and even from high school- I have never had as awful of teachers as I do now.

Maybe I need to clarify about "learning the law."  I mean the law as a whole, black letter, history, theory, statutes, adminitrative rules, application...."legal studies"  I understand that some people don't like that legal education is supposedly too theoretical and not enough wrote learning of the "law".  That's not my complaint.  Mine is that I haven't learned anything that I didn't get from the reading.  No further understanding, no consolidation of knowledge, nothing.  I don't really know why we have class at all.  And the one class that should be straightforward- legal writing- is an absolute waste of time, and the entire administration and faculty know it, but don't care to fix it.   

Hope that answers your questions. 

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 05:05:57 PM »
rcjackson, if people only get jobs outside Nashiville/Alabama, then how can it be that thee are so many Vandy grads working in big cities and biglaw? I can hardly believe that Vandy students only get these jobs with connections. If you're right all placement statistics would be wrong. According to Leiter's biglaw placememt study Vandy ranked 1th for biglaw placement nationally. How could that be if it's true what you're saying?

rcjackson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 06:18:17 PM »
I think I answered that in my previous post.  Of the On Campus Interviews this year, 2/3 were in Alabama. 

rcjackson, if people only get jobs outside Nashiville/Alabama, then how can it be that thee are so many Vandy grads working in big cities and biglaw? I can hardly believe that Vandy students only get these jobs with connections. If you're right all placement statistics would be wrong. According to Leiter's biglaw placememt study Vandy ranked 1th for biglaw placement nationally. How could that be if it's true what you're saying?