Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is vanderbilt snobby?  (Read 6393 times)

mattstod

• View Profile
    • Email
Is vanderbilt snobby?
« on: February 06, 2005, 09:27:52 PM »
I applied to Vanderbilt, and I was quite interested in the school until one of my friends told me it has a rep for being uppity.  Anybody go there for undergrad? or have any info about the scene?
GPA: 3.3  LSAT: 165
Accepted: UGA
Waitlisted: UNC, Boston U, Vanderbilt
Denied:    Cornell, Georgetown, USC, UVA

dr_draino

Re: Is vanderbilt snobby?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 09:33:17 PM »
The undergrad is certainly "uppity" in that it's a really expensive private school.  I imagine all law schools are uppity in a way...doubt Vandy is significantly worse than any other school near it in rankings.

I applied to Vanderbilt, and I was quite interested in the school until one of my friends told me it has a rep for being uppity.  Anybody go there for undergrad? or have any info about the scene?

TheMick

• stop callin' me radio
    • View Profile
    • LSN: TheMick
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 09:57:13 PM »
At the Atlanta law forum, their rep, a law student, was wearing a tweed jacket and looked like his name should be "Chet" or something similarly old-money south.  Does this person give a good representation of the law student body?  I have no clue.  Hard to believe there would be that many douchebags.

I realize my answer doesn't really help.

GW Vandy it is.  Trash-vegas here I come
3.5/167

Thank god this terrible game is over.

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 10:05:38 PM »
What did you expect the guy to be wearing, jeans and a t-shirt?

At the Atlanta law forum, their rep, a law student, was wearing a tweed jacket and looked like his name should be "Chet" or something similarly old-money south.  Does this person give a good representation of the law student body?  I have no clue.  Hard to believe there would be that many douchebags.

sublimation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 01:20:57 AM »
isn't their visitation day sometime in march?  i'm sure you'll get a vibe then.

TheMick

• stop callin' me radio
    • View Profile
    • LSN: TheMick
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 10:51:23 PM »

Clearly.  Or what about a suit like everyone else?  Either way.

Don't get me wrong, there's a strong chance that if I get accepted I will go to Vandy, but the guy just spoke/dressed the part too well. 
GW Vandy it is.  Trash-vegas here I come
3.5/167

Thank god this terrible game is over.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 07:46:15 AM »
Are you going to UF now?

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 10:10:48 AM »

purple tux, opaque shades, and one hell of a goatee
(163+172)/3.5

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 10:07:18 AM »
Is think it's unlikely that one of the top 20 schools is much snobbier than another simply because many people just choose such a school based upon rankings/job prospects. The result is that there probably isn't much of a difference in terms of people (personality-wise) at the top schools. Look for example at the one poster above who said he might attend if admitted anyway. I bet many students will look at it like that, and it's probably a sound attitude too. I personally expect to find some good people and some a..holes whereever I go. Life is like that.

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 10:27:36 AM »
I know a guy from Vandy who is very nice, down to earth, and helpful.

I think Vandy may get the rep for undergrad because of its spot in the SEC.  Isn't it the only private school in the conference?  The state school kids are naturally going to amplify tales of the "spoiled little rich kids" in that situation.  Add up all the student bodies, alumni, and fans from the other SEC schools and you have a lot of people potentially sharing one opinion.

I highly doubt it is any worse than any of the other schools in the top 25.