Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AFF AXN questions for the uninformed  (Read 5797 times)

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: AFF AXN questions for the uninformed
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 09:07:39 AM »
Good response P-Rich.

I grew up along the US-Mexico border.  I was at an economic disadvantage bc my mother was a housewife and my father is an immigrant who could only go up to the 5th grade in Mexico before having to drop out to help support his family.  By virtue of the very poor economy in my hometown, I was also at an educational disadvantage.

My only escape was the library.  I spent my time devouring literature and working hard at my schoolwork, not because I saw it as my ticket out of poverty, but because it was the only way I could forget about how poor my family was.

Anyway, I never took an SAT practice test, nor did I study for it, but the SAT I and II were a piece of cake for me.  I was disappointed with my scores, though, 1330 and 1370, respectively, because I had run out of time during the tests, therefore accounting for these poor (to me, anyway) scores. 

I'm not saying that non URMs don't deserve the same scholarships or acceptances to the schools I get into, but you tell me who impressed the admissions committee more:  URMs with stories such as mine or our non-URM counterparts who had excellent school curriculums and the money to pay for an SAT prep course?

I'm not ashamed or embarassed of my past.  I don't expect pity or an easier ride because of it, but I do appreciate people who appreciate my struggle and who see the potential in my learning given the proper resources.

My story repeats iteself and is applicable to my law school application process as well.

I whole-heartedly agree that poverty puts one at a disadvantage.  Your story is very convincing from a low-SES based standpoint.  You then make the leap of comparing poor URM's to wealthy non-URM's.  You have to realize how this is not a fair comparison.  This white boy grew up in a trailer park.  Please do not assume that all non-URM's went to top private schools and had extensive SAT prep courses.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2005, 09:11:00 AM »
Good response P-Rich.

I grew up along the US-Mexico border.  I was at an economic disadvantage bc my mother was a housewife and my father is an immigrant who could only go up to the 5th grade in Mexico before having to drop out to help support his family.  By virtue of the very poor economy in my hometown, I was also at an educational disadvantage.

My only escape was the library.  I spent my time devouring literature and working hard at my schoolwork, not because I saw it as my ticket out of poverty, but because it was the only way I could forget about how poor my family was.

Anyway, I never took an SAT practice test, nor did I study for it, but the SAT I and II were a piece of cake for me.  I was disappointed with my scores, though, 1330 and 1370, respectively, because I had run out of time during the tests, therefore accounting for these poor (to me, anyway) scores. 

I'm not saying that non URMs don't deserve the same scholarships or acceptances to the schools I get into, but you tell me who impressed the admissions committee more:  URMs with stories such as mine or our non-URM counterparts who had excellent school curriculums and the money to pay for an SAT prep course?

I'm not ashamed or embarassed of my past.  I don't expect pity or an easier ride because of it, but I do appreciate people who appreciate my struggle and who see the potential in my learning given the proper resources.

My story repeats iteself and is applicable to my law school application process as well.

I whole-heartedly agree that poverty puts one at a disadvantage.  Your story is very convincing from a low-SES based standpoint.  You then make the leap of comparing poor URM's to wealthy non-URM's.  You have to realize how this is not a fair comparison.  This white boy

same here...well this girl grew up with little financial resources...just a wonderful family...our parents lost the house and we moved from rental house to rental house.  No SAT prep or top schools for me. 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2005, 09:20:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm in the process of writing my PS now, and my upbringing is going to be a major theme.  I think it's great so far, but who doesn't think their PS is great??

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2005, 09:44:55 AM »
me!  i'm really struggling with mine

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005, 10:15:03 AM »
Ha, well I guess I stand corrected.  I had been thinking about how I was going to structure mine for quite some time, then I finally just sat down and wrote it.  Now I am going through the various stages of editing, which will continue in the standard obsessive/compulsive manner until September.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2005, 10:30:33 AM »
me too...well one day a few weeks ago I just started typing....and I have something that is three pages.  Will continue to edit like crazy...then not look at it for a few weeks...then edit again...and so on :)

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2005, 12:57:01 AM »
Yeah, I'm in the process of writing my PS now, and my upbringing is going to be a major theme.  I think it's great so far, but who doesn't think their PS is great??

i think thats a good idea-i discussed what a diffucult homelife I had in my personal statement, and I think it shows endurance and ability to shine even in terrible circumstances.
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2005, 12:57:56 AM »
difficult ^  :o
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

shiveringjenny

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2005, 01:03:54 AM »
i don't think i'm gonna write any kind of 'obstacles overcome' essays. my homelife was so difficult that there's no reasonable way to write about it.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2005, 08:15:55 PM »
A very simple trivial example of how two people of different races don't get the same out of the same educational system:

The book I use for my "chemistry for poets" class goes into an explanation about protein folding by using the chemistry involved in getting a hair perm as an example.  The book assumes that everyone will simply believe that this means the chemistry involved with making ones hair curly.  Sitting in front of a class that was half white/half black to discuss this portion of the text really hit home how something this simple can put a black student at a disadvantage.

Thats a perfect example of how the SAT is culturally biased.

The SAT questions aren't just culturally biased...they are regionally biased as well.  I had a psychology prof who read my class a real SAT analogy about a skull and then asked the class if we knew what a skull (and not your head) was.  Out a class of about 40, not one single person  (including myself) knew what a skull (heck, I don't even know how to spell it) was.  He informed us that it was a type of boat that was used in crew races in the northeast...but how were we supposed to know that?  We don't "row" or have "crew" in South Texas...at least not that I am aware of!  I don't even know where people would row at down her...on the Rio Grande River?   
Attending: Texas