Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AFF AXN questions for the uninformed  (Read 5890 times)

dr_draino

Re: AFF AXN questions for the uninformed
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 12:53:08 AM »
You are correct in this assesment.  Simply being black doesn't affect the person's ability to interpert the text...it is in fact the person's experience that limits his/her ability to interperet the text because the text, like most things in our society is geared towards the average white student.  It's this type of hidden discrimination that people of color experience on a daily basis that I believe AA aims to get around, NOT the name-calling, police-brutality, sitting-at-the-back-of-the-bus type discrimination that people seem to think it's meant to address.

The fact is that with this type of hidden, institutional (and unintentional) bias towards white students, a black person that acheives a 3.1 gpa very well could have been using every bit as much mental capacity and horse-power as a white student that acheived a 3.3 gpa. 

Thank you draino  ;D! I see what you are getting at, but I dont see how race is at all the issue here.  I think that any difference in anybodys experience would cause varying interpretation of almost any text! I just dont get how race is a factor!

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 12:54:43 AM »
well yeah! the german person might speak a foreign language, has studied a different set of standardized curriculum, eats different foods, drives on a different side of the street.... i mean german person comes from a really different background.  But even in our system, the german person would not benefit from affirmative action...an URM who lives in america, eats mcdonalds like the rest of us, speaks english, and drives on the Right side of the road would benefit from the system and would somehow diversify the class better! So the german wins there..  But how are 2 people who's only difference is race really that culturally different if we all grew up here on mcdonalds?
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 12:59:01 AM »
You are correct in this assesment.  Simply being black doesn't affect the person's ability to interpert the text...it is in fact the person's experience that limits his/her ability to interperet the text because the text, like most things in our society is geared towards the average white student.  It's this type of hidden discrimination that people of color experience on a daily basis that I believe AA aims to get around, NOT the name-calling, police-brutality, sitting-at-the-back-of-the-bus type discrimination that people seem to think it's meant to address.

The fact is that with this type of hidden, institutional (and unintentional) bias towards white students, a black person that acheives a 3.1 gpa very well could have been using every bit as much mental capacity and horse-power as a white student that acheived a 3.3 gpa. 

Draino...thank you for your patience! I finally realize why I don't get it...I can't see the invisable elephant in the corner of the room...but if you say its there I'll believe you.  I won't start another sentance with "i dont get it..." but im sure you know what im thinking.  ;D thank you anyways for everything!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

acccr4p

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 01:01:28 AM »
I would say that no system is perfect and there really isn't a point justifying the chinks in the chain. To iron them out would take time and effort that not many people would care to give.

URMs are generalised, probably overly as well. I believe should you put a white person next to an urm, they would be judged equally (in the perfect world) unless it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the URM had gone through more difficulties than the white person or vice-versa. The foundation on which URM was established was the recognition of unequal standing within society by people. Although a great deal of this has been resolved, it can be expected that URMs would raise hell if they weren't given the place should their educational/life bground be exactly the same as the white person's. They have a lot going for them "to redress past discrimination".

However, I would like to add that most URMs who apply to T14s do get in on their own merit. It is usually URMs who can only apply to TTT thrash that do raise the above argument saying that "white boy always treat me, my gramps, my gr8 gramps.... like dirt".

Be humble and be satisfied that you made it into LS. You reap what you sow, so there isn't a need to compare nor to examine why that URM made it in but you didn't because that would be plain offensive and absolutely indicative (every finger you point at someone, four are pointed back at you) - EVERYONE IS EQUAL - It's an opportunity that not many people recieve so remember to give back to society.

Your Asian Friend,
acccr4p

PS: I know some of the terms and phrases used are really crude but I didn't see the point to beat about the bush. It's just my honest opinion with no offense or hurt intended. Everyone is entitled to their own view so please respect theirs and they will respect yours.

dr_draino

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 01:05:28 AM »
I'll ask you this and then stop:

1)  When you talk to a black person, does your voice pattern change?  Mine does.

2)  Do you think of specific foods and associate them with black people or latinos?  I do.

3)  Do you think a black church as being something unique...a way of worshipping a christian god but in a fundamentally unique way?  I do.  And I've never set foot in a "black church".

Just some things to ponder.  While we live in the same country and I see images of black-american's all the time, I freely admit that their culture is distinctly different from mine.  Not so different that we don't have common ground, but different enough that I find I've learned an awful lot more from black people I've worked with that ave had a similar personality to mine compared to white people that I've worked with that had different personalities.

well yeah! the german person might speak a foreign language, has studied a different set of standardized curriculum, eats different foods, drives on a different side of the street.... i mean german person comes from a really different background.  But even in our system, the german person would not benefit from affirmative action...an URM who lives in america, eats mcdonalds like the rest of us, speaks english, and drives on the Right side of the road would benefit from the system and would somehow diversify the class better! So the german wins there..  But how are 2 people who's only difference is race really that culturally different if we all grew up here on mcdonalds?

acccr4p

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 01:10:36 AM »
Sorry, I would just like to add that diversity is key because if people can get along with their differences, peace can be built on this unwavering ground. The lack of diversity in the past have often led to social unjust and subsequently, unrest. Diversity is crucial because in order to progress as people of one species, we must learn to accept differences and changes. Universities with a multi-cultural alumni and student body usually stand the test of time much stronger and better than OCU (One colour university).

Notice how society progresses.. From single sex to co-ed and not multi-cultural. The world is slowly becoming a better place .. we could add a catalyst by getting rid of a few assholes first.

TheZooker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 08:01:24 AM »
I would say that no system is perfect and there really isn't a point justifying the chinks in the chain. To iron them out would take time and effort that not many people would care to give.

URMs are generalised, probably overly as well. I believe should you put a white person next to an urm, they would be judged equally (in the perfect world) unless it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the URM had gone through more difficulties than the white person or vice-versa. The foundation on which URM was established was the recognition of unequal standing within society by people. Although a great deal of this has been resolved, it can be expected that URMs would raise hell if they weren't given the place should their educational/life bground be exactly the same as the white person's. They have a lot going for them "to redress past discrimination".

However, I would like to add that most URMs who apply to T14s do get in on their own merit. It is usually URMs who can only apply to third tier toilet thrash that do raise the above argument saying that "white boy always treat me, my gramps, my gr8 gramps.... like dirt".

Be humble and be satisfied that you made it into LS. You reap what you sow, so there isn't a need to compare nor to examine why that URM made it in but you didn't because that would be plain offensive and absolutely indicative (every finger you point at someone, four are pointed back at you) - EVERYONE IS EQUAL - It's an opportunity that not many people recieve so remember to give back to society.

Your Asian Friend,
acccr4p

PS: I know some of the terms and phrases used are really crude but I didn't see the point to beat about the bush. It's just my honest opinion with no offense or hurt intended. Everyone is entitled to their own view so please respect theirs and they will respect yours.

It is blatantly untrue to state that 'most URM's at T-14's get in on their own merit'.  You lose credibility when you say something like that.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 08:54:36 AM »
i'm saddened when I see "white people have excellent schools and money for SAT prep". I went to a terrible high school and my parents have/had absolutely no money for any sort of prep. I ended up at our (TTT) State U even though I graduated in the top 5% of my HS...and I've worked full time throughout UG.  I guess I put myself at an advantage by working?   ???

...I just had to say that...I know it is pretty irrelevant....bye!

DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Dr. No

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »
Draino,

I have a similar story from teaching.  I was running a microbiology lab in which we were using a particular kind of media on which bacteria could grow.  It was a peach/pink/white color.  The class was 1/2 white and 1/2 black (roughly).  A black girl came up and asked which media she should use and i told her to use 'the flesh colored' media.  she looked at me funny and i eventually had to point it out to her.  she laughed and looked at me and said 'not all people's flesh is this color'.  

it's amazing how you can be around people of different races and not even realize the differences when you teach/interact.

NOTE: i'm rereading my story...it was a lot funnier in person.  sorry for the nerd/science humor.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »
oooo that is pretty funny/oops.  At least she laughed!

:D
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.