Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St. Thomas University  (Read 2374 times)

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: St. Thomas University
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 10:02:45 PM »
Anyone know about St. Thomas University in Miami? They have a great brochure, claim they have a good international law program, etc. I'm still a bit unsure. It seems like they take a lot of people...is it because they're relatively new?

Any info would help as I have applied there.
St Thomas is a very conservative school, which may be good or not depending on your feelings about political and relligious climates (it is strongly Roman Catholic). They do accept a lot of persons, and the average scores are low. This is true because 1) is it Florida [isolated, low educational attainment], 2) there is a glut of similar schools in Miami, and 3) it is a fourth-tier school. Assuming I wasn't enthralled with the conservative climate, if given a choice, I'd prefer Nova over St Thomas. But that would be my personal choice. Of course, Miami is a great school, but if your scores are not competitive, it's irrelevant.   (Incidentally, my experience seems to indicate that a school's quality is indirectly proportionate to its brochure's quality. Stetson is GORGEOUS! Berkeley, lame.)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 10:13:43 PM »
OK, so let's say you had a choice between Florida Coastal and St. Thomas, as I will. How is FL Coastal's rep in FL?

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 09:26:48 PM »
I just joined, and as a S FL resident I wanted to share my thoughts about St. Thomas...

I live in Broward COunty (About 10 miles away), and yesterday in major traffic it took me 30 minutes to get to school.  I would NOT live in the vicinity of the school. however, if you pick close to the major highways (75, FL Turnpike or 95) you can live further away than you might think and get there pretty quickly.  GIve up the thought of living near the beach - too costly and too far - the east west highways still leave you about 15 - 20 minutes on a good day from the beach.

Yesterday was law preview day, and I must say I really had a great time.  Do a google search on Benton Becker - he is the COn 1 and 2 prof.  He was such a nice down to earth person, then when I googled him at home I was astounded by his background.  Judge David Levy of the 3rd district appelate court is a p/t prof who says he is going f/t next year - again, great credentials and seems like a genuinely nice person.  Bob Butterworth and George Sheldon - the dean and his asst were very warm and friendly - I can really go on and on.  The students I spoke with said that Butterworth has major plans for this school and the President of the University is more than happy to oblige. 

They told us that their main objective is for us to graduate and pass the bar - none of this "Look to your left,look to your right - only one of you will graduate" attitude.

They hired their 2003 Valedictorian for the position of Academic support - they have workshops for each class from the getgo on how to brief, outline, etc.  If you don't take it the first semester and do poorly, they require that you take the support the second semester.

Anyway, I was very impressed.  Yes it is a very small school , but Dean Butterworth is extremely respected in the state, and whenever I mention to my friends that he is there the general consensus is "WOW".

If you need anymore info - please let me know and I can try and answer any questions!!

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 10:07:08 PM »
If you need anymore info - please let me know and I can try and answer any questions!!

Um....do you enjoy working......I mean going to school at St. Thomas University? 

LaneSwerver

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 10:53:45 PM »

Um....do you enjoy working......I mean going to school at St. Thomas University? 

Funny.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 10:54:34 PM »
By the way, if anyone wants an unbiased assessment of St. Thomas, check out my trip report in the "Where Should I Go Next Fall" section.

lawschoolmama

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 07:47:13 AM »
Wow - talk about negativity. 

I thought this board was about sharing information - not tearing each other down. 

Looking at the number of posts you both have each day, posting to this site is apparantly a major part of your daily routine.  I have 4 kids and work full time, and don't have endless amounts of time like you guys do to post opinions.  I was just trying to be helpful -

Hopefully you will both be satisfied with what you have chosen to do in the fall - I know I have chosen the best available for me. 

LaneSwerver

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 08:34:09 AM »
Wow - talk about negativity. 

I thought this board was about sharing information - not tearing each other down. 

Looking at the number of posts you both have each day, posting to this site is apparantly a major part of your daily routine.  I have 4 kids and work full time, and don't have endless amounts of time like you guys do to post opinions.  I was just trying to be helpful -

Hopefully you will both be satisfied with what you have chosen to do in the fall - I know I have chosen the best available for me. 

That was negative? Really? C'mon! Really? Tearing you down? I can't even... never mind.

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 09:15:28 AM »

That was negative? Really? C'mon! Really? Tearing you down? I can't even... never mind.

Let me help you finish....

"I can't even imagine you surviving 1L, let along law school.....don't get me started with you being a lawyer."

Com'on man......just said as it is...straight forward and truthful.

daisyb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 11:32:29 AM »
I'm not saying FloridaLaw is wrong as to the previous poster's intentions, but I will say this--FloridaLaw, you have never said anything  all that great about STU, so it's not surprising that you call out anyone who has something positive to say about the place.  I wonder why everyone is so suspicious of anyone who has something nice to say about schools that are below the first two tiers.  I'm not trying to pick a fight--just an observation.