Law School Discussion

St. Thomas University

LaneSwerver

St. Thomas University
« on: February 06, 2005, 11:27:33 AM »
Anyone know about St. Thomas University in Miami? They have a great brochure, claim they have a good international law program, etc. I'm still a bit unsure. It seems like they take a lot of people...is it because they're relatively new?

Any info would help as I have applied there.

Re: St. Thomas University
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 02:17:29 PM »
its a bottom ranked tier 4 school. youd be 100000000000x better off going to miami, but st thomas is accredited, so you could do worse.

bradzwest

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 02:19:48 PM »
Tier 4 schools have to cast wide nets because they are rarely anyone's first choice.  They also give out a lot of fee waivers, drives up numbers of apps.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 03:39:24 PM »
I applied to St. Thomas, mostly because I'd love the weather.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 08:41:28 PM »
Has anyone actually toured this campus or live in Miami that could tell me about it? Again, the pictures in the brochures look nice, but an ad agency can make the Houston sewer system look like a nice place to take a swim.

My scores aren't super, so while U of Miami would be great, it would also be fairly unlikely.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 11:34:13 AM »
I also applied to St. Thomas as my numbers aren't the greatest.  I figure as long as its approved you can't go too wrong.  I've heard they have an awesome sports/entertainment law program which is something I'd eventually like to get into.  I agree, brochures can make anywhere look nice.  However, my roommate right now visited the school for undergrad sometime ago, and she said while the campus isn't outstanding, it's pretty nice.  She said its kind of located in a suburb area of Miami, pretty clean, but not anywhere ritzy.  Hope that helps. Thats all I have to work with as well.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 11:35:48 AM »
I'll go if the Pope isn't still holding a grudge...

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 12:05:14 PM »
Anyone know about St. Thomas University in Miami? They have a great brochure, claim they have a good international law program, etc. I'm still a bit unsure. It seems like they take a lot of people...is it because they're relatively new?

Any info would help as I have applied there.

I spent a few days at their law library studying for the LSAT.  What would you like to know about the school/campus?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 12:14:29 PM »
How does it look? Big? Small? Part of town? Neighborhood? How about the students? Are they a bunch of droolers? How was the library? Tell me whatever you can...I'll take it.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 04:48:59 PM »
How does it look? Big? Small? Part of town? Neighborhood? How about the students? Are they a bunch of droolers? How was the library? Tell me whatever you can...I'll take it.

I think it's the only law school I have ever visited and I think it's small. On those pictures, you see lots of green and it looks beautiful...keep in mind that they are just plants. It's a ghetto part of Miami, so, be careful.  However, I think one should be safe on campus.

I was so bored studying at the library.  Seats are super uncomfortalbe, especially after one hour of sitting. They are those small hard wood chair. (if you do go there, bring pillows to the library).

I don't know much about the law student body nor the law faculty.....however, I once considered going there for undergrad....but after visiting, I was so un-impressed with the professors, who were doing the introduction about the school.. and my back-then "potential future classmates"....I should just stop.

Just keep in mind that not many people outside the law field (even in South FL) know that St. Thomas has a law school... it's reputation is not so good.  Even though Nova is a Tier 4 just as St. Thomas is, Nova has a better reputation. 

On the positive side, St. Thomas students are fairly friendly and its student body is very diverse; tons of minorities.

I, personally would only consider 4 law schools in FL, they are FSU, UF, UM(a little too expensive though) and Stetson. 

Good luck.

FloridaLaw.