Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U of A Predictive Index, GPA cutoff?  (Read 1395 times)

c22

• View Profile
U of A Predictive Index, GPA cutoff?
« on: February 06, 2005, 02:12:20 PM »
Hi all!  Does anyone know how U of A calculates their predictive index and how rigidly they adhere to it?  Is it like the U of M, with a 70/30 weighting instead of 50/50, or is it slightly more holistic?  Also, do they have a minimum GPA cutoff?  I thought I saw 3.3 a while ago, but now I can't find it.   :-[ 

Dumb_Jock

• View Profile
Re: U of A Predictive Index, GPA cutoff?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 05:02:13 PM »
I'm not sure exactly how they calculate it.  What are your stats?  Check this out http://www.law.ualberta.ca/students/Table%202004.pdf, its UofA's 1st year distribution last year. It might give you an idea of your chances.

c22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:15:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Dumb_Jock!   :)

Sadly, it looks like there are exactly two people that year who have stats similar to mine.  Or at least what I think they will be.  I want to apply for 2006 admission, probably with a pathetic GPA neighbouring 3.0-3.1.  I just wrote my first practice LSAT on Sat, and scored a 166.  I'm hoping I can work on that for June and get someone (anyone) to let me into LS.

Do you know of any other schools that weight the LSAT really, really highly compared to GPA?

Dumb_Jock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 01:03:23 AM »
  I don't know of any schools that give the LSAT a higher weighing than the 70% UAlberta gives it, I'm pretty sure there aren't any, but some will look at other things such as work experience, volounteer work, letters of recommendation,etc if you have that sort of thing.

If you're gonna apply for 2006 why not some booster courses till then.  Raise the GPA to 3.3(last 60 credits) and the hypothetical 166 would put you in good shape for UofA next year.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 02:54:13 PM »
After UofA, most other schools treat the LSAT at 50%.  But, yeah, bring the GPA up a bit, and a 166 will put you in a good shape at most schools.

If you want to see how your GPA and LSAT with such a big spread compare to more 'balanced' applicants, take a look at this thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,13341.0.html
No longer here.

c22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 04:15:32 PM »
Interesting thread, caecilius, and thanks for the link.

I've done some investigating on the internet, and I think that if I can't upgrade, my best shots are probably U of M and USask, because they're not looking at consecutive years of school.  (I have a really big spread in my grades... I have a good number of A's, but also some B-, Cs.)  I know these aren't top schools, but beggars can't be choosers right? 

Any opinions on which is better, and why?  I've heard mixed things about both, but without any substantial justification.

(I'm graduating this year from engineering, so I'm kind of hesitant to spend more than another year here.  I'd want to get a B.A., which would almost certainly require a number of junior courses, which I'm told admissions officers frown upon.)

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 06:17:32 PM »
Personally, I'd go with UofM, but this has a lot to do with the fact that UofS has been most unkind to my circumstances and was unwilling to make exceptions they obviously should have.  This kind of adcom makes me believe they're just downright lazy!

I have heard some good things about UofM, especially their advocacy program.  It seems to be well known outside of Manitoba.  Also, remember it still kind of matters where you will be living in the next three years, and for my money, Winnipeg is much more of an interesting place--in fact, the city is downright underrated (although it does get cold as hell in Winter!).
No longer here.