Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 LR Questions  (Read 700 times)

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
2 LR Questions
« on: February 06, 2005, 01:39:04 PM »
Someone please help:

The economy is doing badly.  First, the real estate slump has been with us for some time.  Second, car sales are at their lowest in ears.  Of course, had either one or the other phenomenon failed to occur, this would be consistent with the economy as a whole being healthy.  But, their occurrence together makes it quite probable that my conclusion is correct.

Which one of he following inferences is most strongly supported by the information above?

A)  If car sales are at their lowest in years, then it is likely that the economy is doing badly.

B)  If the economy is doing badly, then either the real estate market or the sales market is not healthy.

C)  If the real estate market is healthy, then it is likely that the economy as a whole is healthy.

D)  If the economy is in a healthy state, then it is unlikely that the real estate and car sales markets are both in a slump.

E)  The bad condition of the economy implies that both the real estate and the car sales markets are doing badly.

I diagram this as follows:

Conclusion:  The economy is doing badly
~Real Estate Slump or ~Car Sales Lowest ---> Economy Healthy
~Economy Healthy ---> Real Estate Slump and Car Sales Lowest

BUT, then I also diagram the final sentence as:
Real Estate Slump and Car Sales Lowest ---> ~Economy Healthy
Economy Healthy ---> ~Real Estate Slump or Car Sales Lowest

Am I diagramming this properly?  Based on this, C), D), and E) are all fine.  I'm not sure what the answer is as I left the key at home, but it's from October 2004.

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2 LR Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 01:46:43 PM »
Above was #14 from Section 2 of October 2001.

The following is #21 from from Section 2 of October 2001:

It is likely that Claudette is a classical pianist.  Like most classical pianists, Claudette recognizes many of Clara Schumann's works.  The vast majority of people who are not classical pianists have not even heard of Clara Schumann.

The reasoning in the argument above is flawed in that it

E)  Ignores the possibility that the majority of people who recognize many of Clara Schumann's works are not classical pianists.

I diagram it as follows:

Classical Pianists MOST Recognizes Works
~Classical Pianists MOST ~Recognize Works

Isn't E) directly contradicted by the info in the stimulus?

A.J

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 01:49:52 PM »
If either failed to occur... i.e. if either the real estate market or the car market were not doing badly, the economy may be fine.  So, if things are fine in the economy then it is unlikely that both things are doing badly.

D

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 02:01:59 PM »
Am I correct in stating that D) can't be concluded from "Of course, had either one or the other phenomenon failed to occur, this would be consistent with the economy as a whole being healthy", but rather from the final sentence?

I'm trying to determine if I should've diagrammed both statements and their respective contrapositives.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »
BUT, then I also diagram the final sentence as:
Economy Healthy --->  NOT Real Estate Slump or  NOT Car Sales Lowest

The economy is doing badly.  First, the real estate slump has been with us for some time.  Second, car sales are at their lowest in ears.  Of course, had either one or the other phenomenon failed to occur, this would be consistent with the economy as a whole being healthy.  But, their occurrence together makes it quite probable that my conclusion is correct.

Translate their occurrence together makes it sufficicent my conclusion is correct.

together = car sales lowest and real estate slump
conclusion = economy doing badly
together -> conclusion

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 02:17:05 PM »
Thanks, so I should not be diagramming the sentence beginning with "Of course...".  How do you know to not diagram it?

WoeIsMe

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 02:24:50 PM »
i'd want to diagram it.... but i don't know which is the sufficient and which is the necessary from the word consistent

Here A is consistent with B and vice versa, but i don't know which is the necessary component from that statemetn alone
A->B
B->A

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 02:32:50 PM »
Thanks...  That's exactly what I needed to hear.  A concrete reason not to diagram that "Of course" sentence.  Seems to me like it could be diagrammed as a conditional statement with the variables ordered in the order in which they appear in the stimulus, but I guess we can't be sure.