Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: case--i need first hand accounts  (Read 1781 times)

Tony Brooks1

• Sr. Citizen
  • none
    • View Profile
    • info
case--i need first hand accounts
« on: February 06, 2005, 12:54:27 PM »
whats the campus like?
whats cleveland like?
"Que ve esta noviembre?"

ilsox7

Re: case--i need first hand accounts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 02:31:09 PM »
whats the campus like?
whats cleveland like?

I'll speak to Cleveland.  I loved the city and it's probably perfect for a law student.  There are some great restaurants, all the major sports, some good theater, and it's cheap as hell.  You have the Cleveland Heights area which is more college like, downtown which is underrated and cheap as hell to go out in, and Lakewood, which is on the West side.  And, of course, you have Great Lakes Brewery, which rocks like no other (except Victory).

tdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 12:44:28 AM »
I spent my undergrad at Case, and I can say that the campus immediately around the law school is fairly nice, and there is a lot of artsy stuff there with the Cleveland Orchestra, the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Institute of Art, etc. all within a 5 minute walk. The Peter B. Lewis building next to the law school is pretty interesting to look at and a nice place to spend time, but I wouldn't say it was worth the money. The law school itself is not much to look at, but it looks well maintained and up to date. The rest of the campus is an eyesore, but you probably won't venture anywhere near the main quad or residential villages. I agree with ilsox7 that Cleveland is actually a decent city for  students. Cleveland Heights is a nice area, Little Italy is quaint and a 15 minute walk away, and downtown is more entertaining that people will tell you. However, I would avoid spending time in the area between the two or even walking around the extremes of the campus. Cleveland is not a safe city, and there are regular reports of people being attacked, mugged or raped. Much of the city is in a decrepit state and it will depress you, but it's what you would expect from a city that had its economy based in manufacturing and steel. As long as you have some common sense, you should be safe and happy for the next three years. Good luck!

grumpysmirf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 09:02:28 AM »
As a 3L, I can tell you that Case is not worth its tuition.  Only go here if you get a full ride.  The law school building is way too small.  I came here because of the surrounding museums, but you don't have any time to actually enjoy them.  Don't make a wrong turn off campus--you will end up in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country--East Cleveland.  We are always getting "security alerts" that someone was assaulted, someone was mugged.  As to the law school itself:  some of the faculty is really cool, but most don't know how to treat students.  Basically, I don't like how I was treated at this school.  The registrar's office plays favorites and gives out wrong information, the administration is the same.  They are playing guinea pigs with the 1Ls and 2Ls by forcing this new legal research program on them--there are nonstop problems with that.  Law school is not supposed to be a walk in the park, but I can honestly say that my three years at Case were the most unhappy years of my life.  Thank god I have a great job coming out of this hell-hole:  thanks to my own networking--OCI was pretty worthless for me.

ilsox7

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 10:16:12 AM »
As a 3L, I can tell you that Case is not worth its tuition.  Only go here if you get a full ride.  The law school building is way too small.  I came here because of the surrounding museums, but you don't have any time to actually enjoy them.  Don't make a wrong turn off campus--you will end up in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country--East Cleveland.  We are always getting "security alerts" that someone was assaulted, someone was mugged.  As to the law school itself:  some of the faculty is really cool, but most don't know how to treat students.  Basically, I don't like how I was treated at this school.  The registrar's office plays favorites and gives out wrong information, the administration is the same.  They are playing guinea pigs with the 1Ls and 2Ls by forcing this new legal research program on them--there are nonstop problems with that.  Law school is not supposed to be a walk in the park, but I can honestly say that my three years at Case were the most unhappy years of my life.  Thank god I have a great job coming out of this hell-hole:  thanks to my own networking--OCI was pretty worthless for me.

I worked in the heart of East Cleveland for about 7 months.  Not the safest place.  Though I obviously had to drive into it every day and I never had a problem.  But always stay in your car, windows up, doors locked.

happycat

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 11:17:47 AM »

You sound really p!ssed off about something, or maybe a lot of things at the school.  But, these are really seriously unethical actions that you are accusing the school of taking against you.  Do you have proof that the registrar's office plays favorites and gives out false information?  If so, you should plead your case to the Dean or something.  That sh!t should never happen . . .

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 06:18:43 PM »
whats the campus like?
whats cleveland like?

I'll speak to Cleveland.  I loved the city and it's probably perfect for a law student.  There are some great restaurants, all the major sports, some good theater, and it's cheap as hell.  You have the Cleveland Heights area which is more college like, downtown which is underrated and cheap as hell to go out in, and Lakewood, which is on the West side.  And, of course, you have Great Lakes Brewery, which rocks like no other (except Victory).

Have you been to the Victory brewery?  Just wondering because I used to live near it.

ilsox7

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 06:21:23 PM »
Have you been to the Victory brewery?  Just wondering because I used to live near it.

Not yet.  But I am going to Philyl for Memorial Day and will be stopping there.  However, I have had some of their offerings and am a big fan.  Probably the top Craft Brewery East of the Mississippi, if not in all of the land.

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT: 162 UGPA: 3.06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »
Why, oh why doesn't Ommegang get its due.

Also, I think Rogue is a little better than Victory.  That said, those three are tops!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=MrGrieves

Heaven: Northeastern (w/ $8500), Brooklyn, Roger Williams (w/ $20000), St. John's (w/ 12500), Hofstra (w/ $16000), Case Western (w/ $9000), American
Hell: BU
Purgatory: UConn, Cardozo

Applied: Temple

ilsox7

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 06:54:17 PM »
Why, oh why doesn't Ommegang get its due.

Also, I think Rogue is a little better than Victory.  That said, those three are tops!

If I'm not mistaken, Ommegang stays with Belgian style ales.  Very admirable, but these other craft breweries provide many many diverse offerings.  Not a big fan of Rogue...I've actually been quite disappointed by them.  Great Lakes, Bell's, Goose Island, Victory, Stone, Three Floyds are all up there.