Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: South Texas vs. John Marshall vs. Stetson  (Read 1244 times)

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
South Texas vs. John Marshall vs. Stetson
« on: February 06, 2005, 12:40:12 PM »
I'm interested in these schools and was wondering if anyone had any info regarding them? or which would you choose outta the 3? I've heard some pretty good things about south texas and stetson but am not so sure about John Marshall. ive been accepted to hofstra but the whole cost thing worries me a little.  These 3 schools are alot cheaper and seem to have pretty strong programs even though their rankings don't reflect it. anyone have any thoughts on this?? pls feel freet to share! thx!  :D
HUSL 1L

LaneSwerver

Re: South Texas vs. John Marshall vs. Stetson
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 02:32:03 PM »
I live in Houston (and applied to South Texas) and they have a great reputation in Houston as well as the the rest of the state.  I don't know how far that travels out of TX, though.  I belive they are ranked in the top 10 in trial advocacy, which is pretty nice if that's what you're interested in.  Their campus is a highrise in downtown Houston, so it's right in the middle of the legal community. Just some thoughts...I'd sure like to get in there!

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:56:50 PM »
Thanks so much guys! your info was very helpful. I've been hearing really good things aboout houston and South Texas school of law. I'm very interested in the idea of attending school in houston. It seems like a nice place to live and has a fairly low cost of living compared to some other similar sized cities. Since i was waitlisted at UH, South Texas is my last chance at a trip to houston!
HUSL 1L

LaneSwerver

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 11:07:09 PM »
Don't give up on the waitlist, but you could certainly do a lot worse than South Texas. You'll dig Houston...it's cheap, there's a lot to do, you're close to the beach (or what passes as one around here), and did I mention it's cheap?

If you need any more info, let me know.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:23:47 PM »
oh, i've long given up on the waitlist! How are South Texas graduates job prospects? do they have to really compete with UH grads for jobs? and how is the job market there overall? Is there a good public transportation system? or do you really need a car? Lastly what is the average cost of rent there? Thanks so much for your input!   :)
HUSL 1L

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 11:40:13 PM »
For all intents and purposes, Houston has absolutely no transportation (unless you count the 7 miles of lite rail they built last year).  You definitely need a car to get around that enormous city.  Traffic in Houston is horrible, but there are lots of really nice apartments around downtown where the chic crowd lives.  I payed $1160 for a 1200 sq. ft. beautiful apartment in downtown.  You can get a lot cheaper prices if you move a bit further out.  Overall Houston is a very cheap place to live, the salaries are really high, and it has just about everything you'd expect out of the city that size.  good luck!

LaneSwerver

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 10:09:32 AM »
Ditto on Xony's comments.  There are some Park & Ride locations in the 'burbs if you want to commute in that way, but they're hellish.  A car is essential.  Apartments are reasonable, even in the downtown area, depending on what you want.  Efficiencies can start from $400 and go up, depending again on where you are.

Larger apartments and houses are available in the outlying areas (check Pearland, Pasadena, Katy for reasonable deals) depending on how far you want to drive.

STCL grads are certainly competitive with UH grads here in Houston and I would bet the rest of the state.  If you want to go corporate law, especially within the oil business, you're set with a STCL JD.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 12:38:34 AM »
thanks again for the info! i'm really inspired by all of the positive things people have to say about this city. I am gonna seriously consider moving, if i get accepted to south texas or UH. thx again!
HUSL 1L

finko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 03:34:12 PM »
I have lived in both Chicago and Tampa...

Go to Stetson, I know a bunch of kids there/went there. Everyone I know got a job they wanted (in the Tampa area), it's on a frigg'n beach, and their are tons of good looking people. In the region Stetson has a reputation of putting out mean-ass trial lawyers.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 07:16:27 PM »
cool thanks for the input. i suppose john marshall is the worst of the bunch. what is the tampa bay area like? is it a pretty affordable place to live?? thats one of my main concerns. yeah, i understand they're ranked like # 2 in trial advocacy.
HUSL 1L